Stacy Searel to be Named O Line Coach for Georgia

GTMODawg

BANNED
Dude was good when he was at UGA before and has a pretty impressive resume as far as getting linemen into the NFL. 25 NFL linemen in the league while coaching at some schools not noted for producing NFL linemen is impressive. He was also hired twice by 2 pretty good coaches...Mark Richt and Mack Brown...at 4 different universities. Only drawback is he seems to have some gypsy in his blood leaving most jobs for the same position at another school in 3-4 years. UNCs line has struggled while he was there but that has more to do with the quality of linemen recruited and offensive style than it does his coaching ability.

fishnguy

Mixed feelings for me. We'll see how it goes with our current head ball coach. I don't recall seeing his name on the candidate list that I saw.

MudDucker

Staff member
First, Kirby knows what he is doing. He did a good job with our running game when he was here, which was a weakness this year.

GTMODawg

BANNED
First, Kirby knows what he is doing. He did a good job with our running game when he was here, which was a weakness this year.

To be fair the running game wasn't spectacular but it was usually used after the game was already decided. When it was needed...there was one possession in the natty where it made all the difference in the game....it was plenty good enough. Definitely need to improve the running game though....it is absolutely imperative to be able to lean on a defense with a punishing run game late in the second half in close games...and even in games not so close because many's the time a team will be up by 3 scores and still throwing the ball around the yard and finding themselves in a nail biter down the stretch. This is known as football in the big 12 but it happens in the SEC from time to time....

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Mixed feelings for me. We'll see how it goes with our current head ball coach. I don't recall seeing his name on the candidate list that I saw.
I was kinda looking/hoping for Studrawa would be the fit, but guess he didn't work out!

MudDucker

Staff member
To be fair the running game wasn't spectacular but it was usually used after the game was already decided. When it was needed...there was one possession in the natty where it made all the difference in the game....it was plenty good enough. Definitely need to improve the running game though....it is absolutely imperative to be able to lean on a defense with a punishing run game late in the second half in close games...and even in games not so close because many's the time a team will be up by 3 scores and still throwing the ball around the yard and finding themselves in a nail biter down the stretch. This is known as football in the big 12 but it happens in the SEC from time to time....

Our running game against major opponents, with the exception of Michigan, struggled until late in most games where conditioning took over, not technique. They did a great job of pass protection for the most part.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Our running game against major opponents, with the exception of Michigan, struggled until late in most games where conditioning took over, not technique. They did a great job of pass protection for the most part.

That is what power running games are all about. They ain't about moving the ball 300 yards in the first half ala Nebraska and Oklahoma back in the 70's....they are all about getting 90 yards in the second half and controlling the ball for long periods of time. Leaning on a defense and totally destroying their ability and even their willingness to make a 2 yard tackle until it turns into a 5 yard one is what power running is all about. There is a method to our madness of running a tailback directly up the centers backside over and over again in the first half. It takes a pile of energy to stop that play at the LOS and midway through the 3rd quarter that play goes from a no gain or even tackled for a loss to an 8-10 yard blast on third down and maintaining possession. That is also what the NFL is looking for in linemen and running backs. Being able to lean on and topple a defense is BEAUTIFUL and UGA is as good at it as anyone in the nation. It ain't gaudy, it is incredible frustrating at times as a fan....but it is a philosophy that works well in all levels of football where talent and skill is on a high level and teams are evenly matched.

MudDucker

Staff member
That is what power running games are all about. They ain't about moving the ball 300 yards in the first half ala Nebraska and Oklahoma back in the 70's....they are all about getting 90 yards in the second half and controlling the ball for long periods of time. Leaning on a defense and totally destroying their ability and even their willingness to make a 2 yard tackle until it turns into a 5 yard one is what power running is all about. There is a method to our madness of running a tailback directly up the centers backside over and over again in the first half. It takes a pile of energy to stop that play at the LOS and midway through the 3rd quarter that play goes from a no gain or even tackled for a loss to an 8-10 yard blast on third down and maintaining possession. That is also what the NFL is looking for in linemen and running backs. Being able to lean on and topple a defense is BEAUTIFUL and UGA is as good at it as anyone in the nation. It ain't gaudy, it is incredible frustrating at times as a fan....but it is a philosophy that works well in all levels of football where talent and skill is on a high level and teams are evenly matched.

Good Lawd, I played football, I've done minor coaching of football, so I think I pretty much know what a power running game is. What happened this year was a LOT of either no gain runs or very short gains. Power running as a main strategy depends on 3 yard minimum gain. Georgia in the past was very good at that.

I also understand wearing defenses down very well. However, the game is a game of 1st downs and possession. If you can't make a first down, you lose possession. Every time you lose possession, it offers the other team an opportunity to score.

You need to see the spread of plays and most of them were plays to ends to stretch the field.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Good Lawd, I played football, I've done minor coaching of football, so I think I pretty much know what a power running game is. What happened this year was a LOT of either no gain runs or very short gains. Power running as a main strategy depends on 3 yard minimum gain. Georgia in the past was very good at that.

I also understand wearing defenses down very well. However, the game is a game of 1st downs and possession. If you can't make a first down, you lose possession. Every time you lose possession, it offers the other team an opportunity to score.

You need to see the spread of plays and most of them were plays to ends to stretch the field.

UGAs running game has been a series of short gains or TOLs since Smart became head coach....until maybe midway through the third quarter. He has won 82% of the games he has coached at UGA and, if you dismiss the first year with some serious on field talent issues, that jumps to nearly 87%. In his stint at UGA UGA averages a 9 th ranked rushing offense in the nation and is the only team in the top 5 which has finished the season ranked in the top 10 in any of those seasons with only 3 teams finishing with winning records in those same years ranked ahead of UGA for rushing. In that period UGA either lead the SEC in rushing or finished no lower than 4th in the conference. That was this year when the run game was all about running out the clock and playing folks not quite starters for at least a half in all but 3 of 15 games. That may not be the text book definition of a power running game but we can call it Aunt Sally and the results are the same. Winning over 80% of the time and controlling the clock late in a tight games or when the game is well in hand and maintaining an acceptable level of risk. It ain't flashy and it does not put up gaudy numbers but defesnive coordinators know full well what they are facing when they face UGAs running game. Thats not suggesting it couldn't be better....if there is no room for improvement you have reached perfection, something that is mighty elusive in my experience....