Stand Height?

Horatio

What stand height do you guys hunt at? I have always gotten about 20 yards up but was thinking maybe that is too low. I watch these hunting shows and it seems like these guys are up about 40 yards. Bow season seems to be a "gimme" due to the yardage restrictions, but during gun season. I am confident in my stand and harness but worry that the old pine I am climbing might actually break on a breezy day. That is why I stay at around 20 tops.

marknga

GONetwork Member
I think you mean 20 feet vs 40 feet? I think it depends on what visibility the stand has to offer. Sometimes (especially early season) it is hard to see if I'm up more than 12 to 13 feet. Later after the leaves have fallen you can go sky high.
However high be safe and wear a safety harness.

Mark

Hunter Haven

Bowhunting I like to hunt 12-16 feet high depending on area and food source.
-------------------------------------------------
Rifle season I like to go as high as possible. Most of my last 5 years have been spent up trees higher than 50 feet. I love it. It is the best way to get out of a deers view or smell. Although with that said the last 3 years I've worn my safety harness. I can't believe I used to hunt that high without it. :eek: It seems the older you get, the more you realize how precious life is!!!!!! :flag:

Horatio

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I was not paying 300 bucks for a climber that I was not using properly. And yes I did mean feet, not yards.

Lostoutlaw

Tree Lounger

The Higher the better and agood stafety harness or strap. ALWAYS BE SAFE AND HAVE AWONDERFUL TIMEHappy huntin :shoot: :shoot:

reylamb

I was going to say.......61 feet is the "dead zone" according to the National Association of Tower Erectors, falling from 61 feet or above has a 99% death rate.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
As far as I can possibly climb and be able to see through the under story during bow season, which usually means about 20 feet, but have no issue with shooting a bow deer at 30 feet either.

Rifle season all bets are off. I will climb until my nose bleeds if possible. Never have a problem being winded, and this probably helps. Now after saying all of that, I still end up around 25 feet or so on most trees just because of limbs etc.

Jim

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
The height I hunt at generally is dictated by the conditions and time of year. Early in the year while the leaves are still on the trees I tend to hunt in the 15-20 ft range. But as the season goes on I like to hunt 30+ ft. up.

Arrow Flinger

Bowhunting, I usually average 16 feet or less. With a rifle and the right terrain, the skys the limit. Like Jim, I never have a problem with being winded when hunting real high.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
Bowhuntin..........

18-20 feet.......gun huntin, depends on the habitat...got some 18 feet, got some 50+.......... :pop:

DeucesWild

20 to 30 feet, depending on the conditions. I have a 25' rope on my buckshot climber that I use to pull my gun up plus use as a measuring tape. Coondawg, you got a flashing light on that 50 footer? Hate to see you get taken out by a low flying plane! :rofl:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

DeucesWild said:
20 to 30 feet, depending on the conditions. I have a 25' rope on my buckshot climber that I use to pull my gun up plus use as a measuring tape. Coondawg, you got a flashing light on that 50 footer? Hate to see you get taken out by a low flying plane! :rofl:
lolol.............have had Wood Ducks fly by LOWER than I................ :)

7Mag Hunter

Stand Height

During bow season 15-25 ft depending on visibility and limbs...
Gun season...No limit...The higher the better...I look for the tree that is the
straightest, and little taper, and have even been known to trim limbs to get
even higher, and get up in the branches to have the best concealment possible... :yeah:

I use a safety belt, and will likely get a better harness this year....
Have 2 comfortable stands, and given the right conditions, will use bungie
cords to make sure the stand will not shift when I stand to stretch...
Take snacks and even P-bottle for relief, and stay ALL day....Especially if
I am on WMA or Natl Forest land where I have walked a long way in to avoid
crowds... :cool: :cool:
I have 50ft para cord (for gear pull up), and have exceeded that length
more than once... :hair: :hair:

Hunt High--Hunt Safe :banana: :cool:

7mag hunter :flag:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

7Mag Hunter said:
During bow season 15-25 ft depending on visibility and limbs...
Gun season...No limit...The higher the better...I look for the tree that is the
straightest, and little taper, and have even been known to trim limbs to get
even higher, and get up in the branches to have the best concealment possible... :yeah:

I use a safety belt, and will likely get a better harness this year....
Have 2 comfortable stands, and given the right conditions, will use bungie
cords to make sure the stand will not shift when I stand to stretch...
Take snacks and even P-bottle for relief, and stay ALL day....Especially if
I am on WMA or Natl Forest land where I have walked a long way in to avoid
crowds... :cool: :cool:
I have 50ft para cord (for gear pull up), and have exceeded that length
more than once... :hair: :hair:

Hunt High--Hunt Safe :banana: :cool:

7mag hunter :flag:
....also use the 50 ft. para cord........that's how I know one of mine is 57ft.....lol :cheers:

fredw

Retired Moderator
I'm too chicken to go as high as most of you. I'm limited to 10, 12, or 15.....depending on which ladder I'm in. Even in my climber, I don't do more than 15 feet.

Scout-N-Hunt

Agree with the crowd, early season stand height limited to understory & factor in the bow shot. Later in the year with muzzle loader & rifle - higher is better ...... meaning at least 20-25ft. Wear a harness & hunt safe.

S-N-H

kcausey

Banned
Height

Whatever Height suits where i am hunting. I have hunted at 0 feet, 6 feet, 10 feet and up to 35 feet........i only bow hunt.........just depends on what offers me the best shots and visability.
Kip

SADDADDY

12-20' Depending on amount of cover

I will climb to about 15' on average, back in my younger days I would climb 30+ but after a few near accidents I keep closer to the ground these days :eek:

I mostly hunt from a ground blind anymore, for some reason I feel better with both feet on the ground ;)

BBurn

15' to 30' depending on the cover

I go as high as possible. I am alot fatter this year, though, so I'll just have to wait and see. :pop: :huh:

sniper13

I hunt from the ground up to 30-40ft depending on the situation.
As well as a safety harness, you DO want to attach Both pieces of the climber together. Last season, I dropped the bungee cord as I started up the tree. It wasn't long before
shooting light, and I went on up the tree. After hunting @ 20-25ft all morning, I decided to climb down. :hair: :hair:
That's when my foot slipped and the bottom of the climber fell all the way down.There I sat with my legs dangling below me wondering what the elmo I was gonna do. I was finally able to stand up in the seat of the climber and "Hug and slide" my way down.
Hope this helps.
:shoot: