stand spots for north Ga hunting

Okay, I just joined a club near the Hall county White county line. I'm new to this semi mountanous country hunting. I have always hunted in south Ga where it is flat. My question would be, Where should I hang my stand. We have lots of hardwoods, a nice size creek but lots of STEEP hills. I'm putting up some latter stands this weekend.
Thanks,
SS

BASSIN

creek bottom

If the creek you were talking about runs through a bottom with some hardwoods, that is an ideal spot. they love to hug those creek bottoms with the hardwoods. I have seen many many bucks running does in this setting. I love to these areas during the rut.

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
Don't put them on top of a ridge.... these mountain
deer will pick you off when they only have a skyline behind you...
I always prefer to get about mid-way up the side of a ridge. Then i hope they don;t come in from high behind me.

gacowboy

GONetwork Member
Swamp Stomper find some good funnel areas where deer regularly cross a real thick area along the creek. Or a creek crossing heavily used. Set up where you can see down the creek as far as possible.
Preferribly close to some mature white oak trees.
Good food sources ect. GOOD LUCK!!

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
North Ga. Hunting

Stomper: I can assure you that N. Ga. hunting is different in many ways.

A stand in the normal sense is useful when used at the very top of mountains, or at the very bottom of the slope. If you climb a tree on the slope of the mountain, you will see that a deer on the uphill side of you would be likely at the same level with you, looking you right in the eye.

If you are one of those who think that you are not hunting unless you are in your climber then have to. My point is, that there is not much value to a climber unless you have someone to carry it for you. Most mountain hunters prefer to travel light and hunt from the ground. There is almost always material around that will allow you to create a makeshift blind.

The older hunters who I have known always advocate hunting high up and in "gaps". A gap is the low point in a ridge line. In crossing a ridge, deer know the low points (gaps), and will always cross here. Another plus in hunting high is the obvious value of being able to drag any game downhill to your camp or to your vehicle.

Scouting is probably of greater importance in the mountains. Most mountain terrain is uniformly timbered making it difficult to key on any feature that might be attractive to deer. Scout for acorns, bedding areas, and trails. If you find acorns with a Laurel thicked nearby, there is promise here. Deer will bed in cover as close to feeding ground as possible.

Hunting in N. Ga. always holds the possibility for getting a shot at a Bear. The season usually coincides with deer season.

Hope it works for you.

Vernon

willhunt

Hunting high...

I always look for a couple of things when hunting the ridges. First look for white oaks that will be producing. They'll be a gold mine. Next, look for the trails leading to and from those oaks and follow them back. You should be able to find some good ambush sites. If there are finger ridges running up to the main ridge, there will usually be a heavily used trail running up to the top. Look for old rubs, etc. Deer always take the easiest path when not pressured so a gradual incline will be much better than going straight up. Sometimes on these fingers it kind of flattens out close to the top at the head of the deep hollows. This relatively flat area will parallel the top of the main ridge but will be 50-200 yds. from the very top. This is the main highway. There should be lots of old rubs, deep trails, etc. My best advice is to put in the scouting time. Find one or two spots that look good and get to know them really well instead of trying to hunt all over the place. As far as climbers and ladder stands, I use them but never get very high. The older I get the more I agree with Mr. Vernon about not using them at all. Good luck, hope this helps.

wh

Woody52

I agree with Vernon. Travel lite if you can and hunt from the ground. Of course use plenty of cover scent and get on top of a ridge. You will not be skylined or spotted from the ground if you are on the up hill side and use a good blind or tree behind you. Good luck!

Last edited:

the HEED!

Banned
just below the ridge tops or in a saddle on a top, every deer ive seen is just under the crest of the ridge walking across the ridge not up and down or crossing a saddle on a ridge top in the experiences Ive had mountain hunting

sniper13

Like Georgiaboy said,"any openings"?