Standing Indian Campground

Meriwether Mike

I am heading up to North Carolina and Standing Indian Campground this afternoon with some buddies with the TU Chapter. At nearly a mile high in elevation I am hoping for cool nights. I am fishing the upper Nantahala River and Buck Creek. Any other suggestions for waters to hit while there?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The upper Nantahala and its upper tributaries near Standing Indian are good fishing for wild trout. Browns, bows, and native specks all in the mix. Love it up there. Buck Creek is usually mediocre, but worth fishing. Standing Indian is a good place to stay. You should get some cool nights. It's been in the low-mid 40s here every morning this week until this morning, 50s this morning. Take a tarp, because you're probably gonna get rain and storms the next two afternoons.

Meriwether Mike

Thanks for the info NCH. I brought my 7'-6" 3wt and plan to throw drys in a yellow color. I am expecting some rain, but that is why it stays so green and beautiful.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info NCH. I brought my 7'-6" 3wt and plan to throw drys in a yellow color. I am expecting some rain, but that is why it stays so green and beautiful.
Yaller and/or gray is working good right now. Charley Whopper, parachute Female Adams, Yellow Palmer, yellow stimulator, gray/grizzly elk hair caddis, yellow Haystack. Some of those big holes on down below the campground nymph good, too.

flyrod444

Walk down stream from the camp ground and fish back up to where kimsey creek runs into the main stream. Great wild trout water. The last hour or two before dark can give one great dry fly action there. The trail goes down left side of the river.