Stars and Stripes

longbowdave1

For the past few years, I have been admiring a flag hanging in my local barber shop. One of the customers made it for the barber.

I decided to build one for myself. Power carved the the edges and face of the stripes, and the edges of the union, to get the distressed look. Burned the wood with a torch, and three hand rubbed coats of semi transparent stain on all the parts. The stars were traced, the carved with a dremel tool, then hand painted. I have to put a coat of satin clear finish on the flag yet to seal it. Flag is about 37 x 20 inches.20210109_100811.jpg20210112_173107.jpg

Anvil Head

Looks really good Dave. Lot of hand work there.

longbowdave1

Looks really good Dave. Lot of hand work there.
Thank you sir. I have a new appreciation for those who carve or paint for a hobby after building the flag.

Just wanted to tell you the blade you forged for me, field dressed another 4 deer this past year and a turkey. I love that knife. Now my brother always says," let me use your knife to field dress this deer". He likes the shape and edge it holds too.

Anvil Head

Thanks for the feedback Dave. Always good to hear they are being used. I don't do any big carving if I can help it, always get part way through and wonder why I started in first place. Probably why I quit building rifles. Knives move along a little quicker for me and gives me more creative satisfaction. Always intended to do a cigar indian, but after doing a 12 ft. Totem pole for my buddy in Idaho, gave up on the idea.
Really can appreciate the work that goes into a project like your's, well done.

longbowdave1

Thanks for the feedback Dave. Always good to hear they are being used. I don't do any big carving if I can help it, always get part way through and wonder why I started in first place. Probably why I quit building rifles. Knives move along a little quicker for me and gives me more creative satisfaction. Always intended to do a cigar indian, but after doing a 12 ft. Totem pole for my buddy in Idaho, gave up on the idea.
Really can appreciate the work that goes into a project like your's, well done.

Got any pictures of the totem pole. You're correct on the carving. I think between carving and painting, I had more than 6 hours on the union alone.

Anvil Head

No Dave, back in my mountain man days (thought I wanted to be a free trapper) wouldn't been caught with a soul grabber.

John I. Shore

Great job, love it!

F.A.R.R.

Very nice work, love it.

Everyone who works in the swap in D.C. should be required to make one, so they have some time to think about why they are there

longbowdave1

When my daughter saw the flag, she sent me a picture of a project she wanted me to make for her.20210118_101158.jpg

longbowdave1

We are deep in to the Deep Winter mode here. Seems like all I do is shovel snow, now we have below zero night time temps rolling in tonight. In between all the fun, I built a smaller wooden flag for my daughter. This one is about 11" by 17" or so. Hand carved the stars and the red cross.nurse flag 1.jpgnurse flag 2.jpgnurse flag 3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts