Starting a new dove field

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Clearing out about 8 more ac for the existing 2 ac dove field. What can I plant to stabilize the soil that will be dead by time to plant for dove? I was going to just plant winter wheat in a week or so. What say you?

Wheat will burn up in the summer so I think you would be fine. You could also plow it under as a green manure crop to help your soil health instead of nuking it etc.

Ihunt

Wheat is my dove field.
I plant an awnless wheat in November. I spray it in June with Cadre. I leave it standing and the doves love it. Cheap as any dove field and very easy. And you don’t have to worry about the summer droughts.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Wheat is my dove field.
I plant an awnless wheat in November. I spray it in June with Cadre. I leave it standing and the doves love it. Cheap as any dove field and very easy. And you don’t have to worry about the summer droughts.
I was wondering About doing this

Ihunt

I was wondering About doing this
It works well for me. Hate for you to take my advice, try it, and it not work but if your place naturally has doves I don’t think it will be a problem.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Wheat is my dove field.

The DNR uses wheat on many a dove field. When done right it can produce some jam up shoots. You can run into turkey and deer issues that leave you with not much seed in small fields.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The DNR uses wheat on many a dove field. When done right it can produce some jam up shoots. You can run into turkey and deer issues that leave you with not much seed in small fields.
Around where I’m at hogs will eat the tops also. They flock to it.
I’m growing sone now. In the garden area I will mow and barrow in for soil builder. Should add more organic to the garden.
The rest in open field I let go til I plant millet. Seems I get the best out of it. Deer eat the sunflowers.

Nice looking field u have going on there. Congrats