Starting Another One

Jester896

Senior Clown
woot woot!
Look what came today
20200211_200812 (2).jpg

guess I'll be truing an action this weekend. Thought I had found a reamer for about the cost of a rental on eBay but someone beat me to the sellers offer. Guess I will plan on doing that in 2 more weeks when my buddy is off again.

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
I want to get into doing it myself one day.

That may prove to be costly. This took about 75 days for them to build and cost me $200 so I could true and recut the threads for a standard threaded barrel. Most builders make the barrel threads .010 larger and cut new threads centered from the bolt raceway. This type of truing isn't even the better method...too many static clearances to be reliable if I understand it correctly...yet still somewhat effective. I just have to hope and pray it isn't off much if any. The other way (+.010) it wouldn't matter. I spent $200+ to compliment my friends $950 investment for his +.010 kit to save/use a good $350 barrel.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Got called into work about the time I was heading out...so I got a late start.

Cleaned it and painted it with Dykem

IMG_0005.jpg

you can see how untrue the face of the action was...the reamer has only touched half of it and you can still see the Dykem on the action lugs.

IMG_0010.jpg

the face has almost cleaned up and you just start to see it cut the outboard edge of the lugs getting cut.

IMG_0011.jpg

now the face is true as well as the lugs and you can still see the Dykem in the threads.

IMG_0014.jpg

Then we ran the tap in to make sure the threads were square to all of that and you can see all of the Dykem has been remove with the changes

IMG_0016.jpg

I have a few videos if you are interested below

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think that is the largest Starrett handle they make. We did a blued action right after mine and it was done +.010 since he threaded the barrel. That tap handle is about 6" too short on each side to easily run the tap in the action. We took turns until it was finished :D

Jester896

Senior Clown
A little more progress today...after some of your recommendations to stiffen the Hogue sock I was going to use we chucked it in the Bridgeport vise and went to town.

IMG_0353.jpg

we used a ball end to cut the stock so that I can bed this 3/8" aluminum rod in it to stiffen it up. I will bed it in soon and maybe in a couple of weeks rent a reamer since I still haven't found a used one to this point to finish it it up. I order another tool to better lapp the lugs and it should have been here Friday but won't make it until Tuesday...thanks again FedEx. I thought that I would get the action finished this weekend too.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Bumped up to my buddy's today to try some brisket he was raving about he cooked...gotta admit..don't care for brisket...but this was the best I've eva eaten.

I brought the last of parts that I had ordered to him and and he watched and scolded me while I lapped the bolt lugs in the receiver. He checked the stock I did and it is stiff as all get out with that rod in it. He is going to chamber and thread the muzzle of the barrel in the next 2 weeks and even finish another one we have been working on for a couple of years...my 6.5 WSM on a long action....that ought to wind me up for a bit on rifles.

Jester896

Senior Clown
@SC Hunter We've had nothing but trouble with mine. He took the Bartlein barrel out of mine and cut another 2" off and put it in another gun...now that gun works fine. The other 2 he built...his and another fella's are 26". We are going back with Kreiger I think for mine.

SC Hunter

@Jester896 his 6.5wsm is sweet! I cringe every time I see him pull it out of the backseat covered in junk!??

Dub

Bumped up to my buddy's today to try some brisket he was raving about he cooked...gotta admit..don't care for brisket...but this was the best I've eva eaten.

I brought the last of parts that I had ordered to him and and he watched and scolded me while I lapped the bolt lugs in the receiver. He checked the stock I did and it is stiff as all get out with that rod in it. He is going to chamber and thread the muzzle of the barrel in the next 2 weeks and even finish another one we have been working on for a couple of years...my 6.5 WSM on a long action....that ought to wind me up for a bit on rifles.

Good Barbecue, Good Buddies & Well Made Guns !!!!!!

Jester896

Senior Clown
well not much has happened with this since June 2020. He was busy filling ammo orders but it is letting up a little now. Man I saw a lot go out the door of his place.

We have a couple .22-250 to chamber now...one for me and one for the other brother. He has a .22-6MM he wants to re-chamber. Other brother called Dave Manson today and ordered us a reamer. I guess I need to kick in and also pick up a Go-Guage. I did pick up another stock in case I change from the Hogue...chances are good that I will.

Maybe in a couple of weeks I will get this done. Have ladders loaded already.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
We got her together and tried her out and she just may be a shooter.
Final Specs

Trued Remington 700 Action
Stainless Pac-Nor Varmint (Sendero) profile 1:12 finished at 25.5" w/threaded muzzle
Tubb Speedlock firing pin system in a fluted 700 bolt
SS Remington Walker Trigger tuned with reduced power trigger spring set at 1.5#
Oversized Bolt Knob (needs to be smaller)
Stocky's Long Range Composite M50 medium cheek riser in Olive Web BDL
Long Weaver 0 Cant picatinney rail
Ziess Conquest V4 3-12X56 Z-Plex

Still in an unfinished metal state. I will try to get pics up tomorrow when I clean it.

Last edited: