Starting to See

MesquiteHeat

Starting to see now it's never been the anti-decoy crowd that's been bitter, or the ones that have a bone to pick. The anti-decoy/ground blind traditionalist doesn't want to see a bunch of legislation and policies take over and regulate, but would rather see common sense, conservation practices, and hunting ethics take the front seat to the instant success and whatever crutch it takes to get it mentality. Traditionalist brings up points of conversation, and then the pro strutter decoy guy puffs up (pun dang well intended) and says "don't tell me how to hunt" or "if it's legal it's OK" or " who are you to tell another man how to hunt...." when I don't think ANY of the traditionalists crowd are doing that..... theyre comfortable with how they hunt. They shoot birds at 20 steps, without a bag of tricks, and punch a limit before Easter.... that's not someone that's bitter. But it's the strutter lovers that get over the top defensive about their ways, admit to taking 60 to 80 yard shots, and then make out like you've had an electrical worker Union build a case against you when one of the traditionalists ask why and dare you to leave the crutches at home on the porch. Starting to see who's really mad, we know y'all won't leave em anyway

six

I noticed a long time ago that some people are really sensitive about their turkey hunting methods. Everything is fine when they talk about the methods and tools they used in killing their gobbler. But then without even being provoked some will start getting defensive. Then another guy can start a thread detailing how he killed his gobbler and he was sitting against a tree with a call and not much more and he's labeled an elitist, holier than thou blah blah blah. I think that's the battle cry for the why don't you ditch the gun and camo, get a spear and wear a loin cloth crowd to get riled up:ROFLMAO:

I rarely post any pictures or even mention any of my hunts because of this. For me to post it has to be something pretty special to me. So I'm going to go ahead and apologize to the more sensitive crowd now for a picture and short story I plan on sharing this spring when it happens. I plan on killing one with the same gun and same methods that I killed my first longbeard with over 50 years ago. And in the butt of that gun is a breast feather from that gobbler, and I plan on adding another feather from the next gobbler. But in the picture your not going to see any of the more popular trendy items. So if I offend anybody by not using as many, or more tools than you, then I apologize now. It's not my intention to offend anybody by hunting how I hunt and describing it. And for the record I'm not offended by how non-elitists hunt. I actually hope you enjoy your hunt as much as I enjoy mine.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I noticed a long time ago that some people are really sensitive about their turkey hunting methods. Everything is fine when they talk about the methods and tools they used in killing their gobbler. But then without even being provoked some will start getting defensive. Then another guy can start a thread detailing how he killed his gobbler and he was sitting against a tree with a call and not much more and he's labeled an elitist, holier than thou blah blah blah. I think that's the battle cry for the why don't you ditch the gun and camo, get a spear and wear a loin cloth crowd to get riled up:ROFLMAO:

I rarely post any pictures or even mention any of my hunts because of this. For me to post it has to be something pretty special to me. So I'm going to go ahead and apologize to the more sensitive crowd now for a picture and short story I plan on sharing this spring when it happens. I plan on killing one with the same gun and same methods that I killed my first longbeard with over 50 years ago. And in the butt of that gun is a breast feather from that gobbler, and I plan on adding another feather from the next gobbler. But in the picture your not going to see any of the more popular trendy items. So if I offend anybody by not using as many, or more tools than you, then I apologize now. It's not my intention to offend anybody by hunting how I hunt and describing it. And for the record I'm not offended by how non-elitists hunt. I actually hope you enjoy your hunt as much as I enjoy mine.

You, my friend and fellow turkey hunter, have nothing to apologize for. :cheers:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill

Looking forward to seeing those pics!:cheers:

Permitchaser

You know Turkey hunting does not always end with a goobler down. I provably won't pull the trigger this year. I'm having more fun with guiding my grandsons. But I can remember years when I didn't kill a Turkey, not because I didn't try, they just shut up. Last year me and my grandson spent over 30 hours in the woods and didn't fire a shot.
So I don't care how or why you Turkey hunt. It's more about the hunt. Even though me and my grandson did not harvest a bird last year we had a blast

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
You know Turkey hunting does not always end with a goobler down. I provably won't pull the trigger this year. I'm having more fun with guiding my grandsons. But I can remember years when I didn't kill a Turkey, not because I didn't try, they just shut up. Last year me and my grandson spent over 30 hours in the woods and didn't fire a shot.
So I don't care how or why you Turkey hunt. It's more about the hunt. Even though me and my grandson did not harvest a bird last year we had a blast
I’ve spent bout every off day during season for the last five years chasing them turkeys. I’ve pulled the trigger twice and still no turkeys to show for it. I hunt with and without decoys and have no shame in throwing the whole kitchen sink at em! They’ve beat me every time! Am I crazy that turkey hunting is my favorite hunting season!!????

Resica

I’ve spent bout every off day during season for the last five years chasing them turkeys. I’ve pulled the trigger twice and still no turkeys to show for it. I hunt with and without decoys and have no shame in throwing the whole kitchen sink at em! They’ve beat me every time! Am I crazy that turkey hunting is my favorite hunting season!!????
Heck no!!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Congrats to all the traditionalist !!
Thankyou for walking the straight & narrow. As that sun rises knowing it’s you and that gobbler. Hear him gobble on that limb as u do soft tree clucks. Hearing him bust off. Patients is now the key. Let him gobble a few more times as you Nestle down in some brush knowing he likes to strut that area. Seen the drag marks. Do another soft light clucks and tree calls. Bam ? he just cut you off. do the ol fly down cackle flopping a hat on your leg. Then sit back and hear him hit the ground. Gobbling. Watch him step up to look. Gazing the area. Looking for that hen. Your sitting there. Gun barrel pointed his way. He breaks and starts strutting. Semi circles ! Closing in. You scratch the leafs as he’s facing away. He turns and comes. Bam ? u got him at 20 steps. He flips backwards. Lays still. Then does the flop. Flapping his last time and all he was doing was looking for love. you grab him. Throw him behind your back legs over the shoulder. strut to the truck. Put him in the bed. Admire the colors. The beard. The Spurs.
Congrats ????

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
you will get one. Last year when u set up knowing he entered the field there. May of been best facing the way he was coming. Hard hunting them WMA s. Folks there all around at the beginning of the season. Tuff hunting. Hope this year you get a couple. Leave that sink on the front porch. ?
Ttyl

Jack Flynn

I've always said and it's true. If you call a bird and he doesn't come within an hour. I'll betcha the kitchen sink he'll be there in the next hour. You will be already gone too.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I've always said and it's true. If you call a bird and he doesn't come within an hour. I'll betcha the kitchen sink he'll be there in the next hour. You will be already gone too.
You will see his tracks where he walked and strutted. ?

Jack Flynn

I did that twice last year. I left at 1130 from a bird and came back at 1430 to hunt and he had strutted all across my footprints within gun range lol.