State Park hunts..

Arrow3

What's been yalls experience with them? I've got 6 points . Gonna go on one this season to put some extra meat in the freezer.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I really enjoyed Panola. I'd have to think it would still be above average in filling the freezer.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Fdr was supposed to be great when it opened. I didn't even see a deer. Weather wasn't cooperating either though. Panola was good
That first fdr hunt was hit or miss. The deer seemed to be congregated nearest to Callaway gardens. We were waiting on one guy to come out to check him and he shot so many times we thought he might need help. He came walking out a little while later and when we asked how many he had killed he said “I don’t know, between 5 and 7” ? he had shot so many the blood trails intermixed. There was a picture floating around of his Toyota/ranger type truck FILLED with does and tailgate dragging. It was awesome ?
people hunting the other side didn’t see anything

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Hunted Hard Labor in 2010 and I shot 2.

Hunted again in about 2015 and my buddy shot 2.

They give free golf to anyone shooting a pig.

I can’t walk much now but could meet you there and show you some spots. You can’t rent a cabin or camp site until after you are drawn.

Arrow3

Hunted Hard Labor in 2010 and I shot 2.

Hunted again in about 2015 and my buddy shot 2.

They give free golf to anyone shooting a pig.

I can’t walk much now but could meet you there and show you some spots. You can’t rent a cabin or camp site until after you are drawn.
I'm leaning towards Panola or Mistletoe right now.

bilgerat

Senior
I hunted Panola on one of the first years they offered it, I Saw a huge 8 point on the first morn but it was a earn a buck hunt and had to let it pass, killed a nice doe later that day , the weather turned nasty the second day with tornado warnings and bad storms, so I left

DEERFU

With that many points you should have your pick. I hunted Chattahoochee Bend last year and had a good time

Beagler

I was going to apply for Russell, I live about 30 minutes from there, I thought I’d just camp the whole week hunt deer the 2 days and fish the other 3 days. But the campgrounds and all the cottages are already reserved for the hunt. I bet people already reserved the spots and if they don’t get drawn they’ll cancell.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I was going to apply for Russell, I live about 30 minutes from there, I thought I’d just camp the whole week hunt deer the 2 days and fish the other 3 days. But the campgrounds and all the cottages are already reserved for the hunt. I bet people already reserved the spots and if they don’t get drawn they’ll cancell.

I don’t know how they do at Russel but at Hard Labor the entire park is closed for the two days of the hunt. Campground, golf course, lakes, everything. Campground shows as booked full up but not really.

Beagler

I don’t know how they do at Russel but at Hard Labor the entire park is closed for the two days of the hunt. Campground, golf course, lakes, everything. Campground shows as booked full up but not really.
The last I heard at russell they closed the park, golf course and boat ramp, but they left the campgrounds and cottages open, that was a few years ago, they may have changed. I might give them a call.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
With that many points you should have your pick. I hunted Chattahoochee Bend last year and had a good time
Any decent bucks shot there last year?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Im leaning towards FD Roosevelt for his year , No reason other than I like the area and its in early January and wont interfere with all my other hunts I have planed
Always I chance at a good buck in the area .

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I was originally just gonna grab another point, but saw a few that interested me. I've done the Panola thing, so looking for something different.

XJfire75

I’ve got 6 points waiting on something in south Ga to open or for a new park to hold a hunt. Hard to justify a 3-4 hour drive for a 2 day hunt