Staying Busy

snooker1

I am on the start of my second week of a 3 1/2 week furlough from work (coronavirus shutdown). I am staying busy, I finished my deer blind project, started the new chicken coop and I have been fishing every morning. Hopefully this ends soon and I can get back to work that pays.

Attachments

• Chicken coop.jpg
    Chicken coop.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Blind.jpg
    Blind.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 138
  • tranquility.jpg
    tranquility.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 114

longbowdave1

Have you raised chickens before? I have been thinking of doing it.

snooker1

Have you raised chickens before? I have been thinking of doing it.
Yes, I do it for the eggs and a bouns is they keep the bugs out of my garden and keep it fertilized. I have 11 chicks (egg layers) that will be old enough to go into the coop in about 3 weeks. My wife takes care of the chickens, I just maintain the coop. With eggs as cheap as they are currently we don't save any money, but the eggs are better tasting and it just one more thing that makes me self sufficient. My son has 18 egg layers and he gets an average of 10 eggs a day when it is warm out. No one in our family has bought eggs from a store in years.

Impact97

I am on the start of my second week of a 3 1/2 week furlough from work (coronavirus shutdown). I am staying busy, I finished my deer blind project, started the new chicken coop and I have been fishing every morning. Hopefully this ends soon and I can get back to work that pays.
Love that Chicken coop!

madsam

Love the view from the boat. I want to get to Sinclair just to get on the water
but you know the rest of the story..........

snooker1

Love the view from the boat. I want to get to Sinclair just to get on the water
but you know the rest of the story..........
Best place to practice Social distancing, away from all the dumb___ people that are making this situation worse. I was out the other morning and threw a top water plug for about 4 hours. Snook, trout, redfish, and Jack's. Doesn't get much better than that.

longbowdave1

Yes, I do it for the eggs and a bouns is they keep the bugs out of my garden and keep it fertilized. I have 11 chicks (egg layers) that will be old enough to go into the coop in about 3 weeks. My wife takes care of the chickens, I just maintain the coop. With eggs as cheap as they are currently we don't save any money, but the eggs are better tasting and it just one more thing that makes me self sufficient. My son has 18 egg layers and he gets an average of 10 eggs a day when it is warm out. No one in our family has bought eggs from a store in years.
Im seriously thinking of getting some laying hens. What are the outside dimensions of the coop. If you dont mind me asking, how much money do you have in the pen? It really looks first class! I was thinking of only 4 to 6 hens.

longbowdave1

So I built this log playhouse for my daughter, from 32 3 x5 landscape timbers for her 1st birthday. Today she turned 27, time flies. Anyway, I want to re-purpose this into the chicken shack. It's roughly 3 x 5 feet and about 4 ft tall. If put a roosting boxes off the back and ramp in the front door, I think it would be big enough for 4 or 5 chickens?? Pen out front??? I was thinking of tearing this down recently, why not re-purpose it right?chicken shack.jpg

snooker1

Im seriously thinking of getting some laying hens. What are the outside dimensions of the coop. If you dont mind me asking, how much money do you have in the pen? It really looks first class! I was thinking of only 4 to 6 hens.

The coop is 8 feet long 5 feet wide and 5 feet tall on the inside, the run is 8 feet wide and 14 feet long with roosting rails on each side and inside the coop. They will spend half their time roaming the back yard. As far as $$, I have a buddy who is in construction and he gives me left over wood from each house/project he does so I will have about $250.00 in the coop (most of that is the metal roofing and wire). I have been stock piling lumber he has been giving me for about 4 months. I have about $100.00 in my blind. I can send you more phots if you would like. I should be done with it tomorrow minus the metal roofing.

snooker1

So I built this log playhouse for my daughter, from 32 3 x5 landscape timbers for her 1st birthday. Today she turned 27, time flies. Anyway, I want to re-purpose this into the chicken shack. It's roughly 3 x 5 feet and about 4 ft tall. If put a roosting boxes off the back and ramp in the front door, I think it would be big enough for 4 or 5 chickens?? Pen out front??? I was thinking of tearing this down recently, why not re-purpose it right?View attachment 1010291
That will work, the first one I built was from a shed someone was throwing out and it worked perfectly until it was taken out by hurricane Matthew.

longbowdave1

The coop is 8 feet long 5 feet wide and 5 feet tall on the inside, the run is 8 feet wide and 14 feet long with roosting rails on each side and inside the coop. They will spend half their time roaming the back yard. As far as $$, I have a buddy who is in construction and he gives me left over wood from each house/project he does so I will have about $250.00 in the coop (most of that is the metal roofing and wire). I have been stock piling lumber he has been giving me for about 4 months. I have about $100.00 in my blind. I can send you more phots if you would like. I should be done with it tomorrow minus the metal roofing.
I'd love to see more pictures!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
So I built this log playhouse for my daughter, from 32 3 x5 landscape timbers for her 1st birthday. Today she turned 27, time flies. Anyway, I want to re-purpose this into the chicken shack. It's roughly 3 x 5 feet and about 4 ft tall. If put a roosting boxes off the back and ramp in the front door, I think it would be big enough for 4 or 5 chickens?? Pen out front??? I was thinking of tearing this down recently, why not re-purpose it right?View attachment 1010291

Looks like a dandy ground blind to me