Stealth cam took 3600 pics of nothing

JerryC

I have a pretty new Stealthcam and I put it in a new location facing north. It took 8 normal pictures in the first two days, some night some day. Then over the next three days or so it took app 3600 pictures of just the normal background. Hopefully when I turned it off and back on when I removed the card it got reset. I’ll know when I check the card next. Has anyone else had the issue? Thanks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a twig or weed waving in the wind in front of it, by chance?

whitter

BANNED
If you mounted it on a small tree, sometimes the wind will move the tree and cause it to trigger. Also if there is a bush out front that the wind can move it can also cause a trigger. Other things are when the sun comes up and warms an area then clouds move across and cause "on and off" patches of sun this will also trigger a cam.

JerryC

There is some tall grass in front of it but the first two days it was ok. After that it took about 3 pics per minute.

Waddams

my cam's sometimes photograph seemingly nothing. i've figured it was wind blowing something, or something moving by really quick triggered it but was out of frame by the time the pic snapped.

however, i've also downloaded pics to my computer and on the bigger screen, i sometimes notice things that i didn't see before. including deer in the background just not standing out, or 2nd deer, or also sometimes foreground items glare and things behind them don't show as well, and upon closer inspection, zooming in, etc., i'll see there was an animal of some sort obscured in the background for a variety of reasons.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
It just got excited when it realized that it was no longer in the store and that it could now take pictures.

Jim, I like your answer for sure !!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Heck back in August of 2016, I got a new WGI NANO 22 MP LIGHTSOUT (MODEL # P 22 b20) THAT USED ONLY FOUR OF THE AA BATTERIES. I WAS A SMALLER CAMERA BY USING ONLY FOUR BATTERIES AND I THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD BE PERFECT FOR A CAMOUFLAGE CAMERA AS SUCH. I put it in the woods in hopes that IT WOULD BE THE CAT'S MEOW !!!!!

WELL, when I returned the following week to check and see just what kind of photos that it had taken, I realized that the 8 GB memory card was full and that it had taken 4 photos per minute for a total of 17 1/2 hours( UNTIL THE BATTERIES HAD DIED.) Approximately 4200 photos later, I saw the same dang photo ( and half of them were black because of the night-time experience as I uploaded it onto my computer and began to review each photo.

I reviewed everything about it again and tried it again in the woods with a new set of batteries in it. LET'S JUST SAY THAT EVERY DEER AND EVERY OTHER CRITTER IN THE WOODS THAT DAY HEARD ME CUSSING A BLUE STREAK. I CAME VERY CLOSE TO USING IT FOR TARGET PRACTICE BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO HARM THE PINE TREE THAT IT WAS ATTACHED. :pop::pop:

WELL I GOT THE SAME RESULT SO IT HAS BEEN SITTING ON A SHELF LOOKING BACK AT ME SINCE THEN. MAYBE IT WOULD MAKE A VERY GOOD CANDIDATE FOR QUACK'S TANNERITE ENEMA !!!

Anthony61

BANNED
Pull the camera, put new batteries in it, arm in with the same settings as before facing the wall in your closet for example. Give it 24 hours.

check the card. if no pics its not a run away camera. Then move it to your back yard to a location without underbrush and limbs etc. Mount on something solid. run again for 24 hours. If no run away then its likely the environment at the original location.

If there is a sensitivity setting, try lowering that too. PIR circuits works much better in colder weather than hot weather keep this in mind also.

rosewood

I bought a 2 pack of stealth cams from Sams a couple of years ago. Both of them have done the runaway cam thing sitting in my backyard pointing at a feeder with no trees in the way. Same tree I have tested other cams on. Kind of annoying. Has soured my taste with stealth cam brand. I will probably not buy anymore.

Rosewood

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Same here. Bought a 2 pack of Stealths @ Sams last year. Put them out. Both took pics every 30 seconds until card was full.
I returned them & got my $$ back.

Davexx1

Test any new camera(s) at home in the back yard for a few days before deploying in the woods. Its easier to get familiar with the operation, settings, performance, etc at home than it is when in the woods.

Also, if there is any issue or problem with the camera, you will become aware of it quick and can return the camera for warranty replacement or refund and avoid the loss.

Dave