Stickbow bear

rnfarley

I'm trying to learn the bear hunting thing. We see them from time to time but mostly as opportunistic shots while deer hunting. I have a good bear on camera a few times this year so hoping to close the deal this year!

JB in GA

I have only hunted a few times where it was a possibility to see one while deer hunting. But I saw one fishing one day standing on a bluff on Lake Burton Dam road between Lakes Seed and Burton at about 4:00 in the afternoon. Must have been 5 or 600 lbs at least. I guess it was Rabun county.

frankwright

I had one up on his back legs right by my tree stand just below Thomaston off Birdsong road.
Trail Cam captured the picture and I thought someone was playing a joke on me but then I saw more pictures.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I was in a lease in Twiggs county and we had bears all over us. Nothing more aggravating than having a bear around but not being able to shoot it may be just as aggravating.

JB in GA

About a year ago we moved my folks out of the home I grew up in, into a house off Barrett Pkwy in Marietta. I spent the night with them during the holidays and they apologized about the neighbor’s dog barking at night. Come to find out he was just doing his job, because the neighbor shined a large bear in the shrubbery when he went to hush the dog. This is within sight of Kennesaw Mt.

strothershwacker

About a year ago we moved my folks out of the home I grew up in, into a house off Barrett Pkwy in Marietta. I spent the night with them during the holidays and they apologized about the neighbor’s dog barking at night. Come to find out he was just doing his job, because the neighbor shined a large bear in the shrubbery when he went to hush the dog. This is within sight of Kennesaw Mt.
Poor bear, lost & stuck on Barrett parkway! I know how he feels. At traffics thickern hair on a dog's back! Any bear that'd leave the mountains to go into town should be shot because he must be stark raving mad!

splatek

UAEC
@strothershwacker yessir. I’ll be in the hills chasing bear this weekend with my stick bow. Been practicing with that dang thing as much as I can with a newborn in the crib and scouted most of spring and summer.
Folks be telling me “find the white oaks” so I spent the better part of four to five months finding white oaks... that now aren’t producing squat. Feeling a little lost four days Before the opener, but that ain’t gonna stop me. I have several bears on cam in what I think are travel corridors, but once some of these oaks hit they are just going to change.

Good luck to you this season sir. I hope you get a good one that you can share with the board!

And that bear lost in the city. Poor thing.

longbowdave1

On a serious note, bear is the only game meat that I can't eat. Had it twice, from two bears that were quickly and properly processed. Got sicker than a dog. That's why I don't bear hunt. Don't feel right about spending al the time, effort , and money if I can't eat it.

splatek

UAEC
On a serious note, bear is the only game meat that I can't eat. Had it twice, from two bears that were quickly and properly processed. Got sicker than a dog. That's why I don't bear hunt. Don't feel right about spending al the time, effort , and money if I can't eat it.

Man, that makes sense to me. from my last year of studying bears for the season I learned that a very small fraction of bears can carry the pathogen that causes trichonosis. I have heard it's quite debilitating. Have to cook the bear meat through and through, according to my sources.