Stocking tiger trout?

OwlRNothing

I was reading they are more resistant to it but who knows.
If they are, I haven't heard about it. That isn't saying that me not hearing about it means anything. But I'd hate to see a full scale swap from browns and brookies (when possible ) for all tiger trout. That would get old. Or would it? To each his own.

flyrod444

From what little I know, I think Tiger Trout are more expensive to produce, so there should not be more than a novelty amount stocked. Here is a picture of a big tiger one of my clients caught. It had been stocked this size a year before near a section of stream I fish. They moved all up and down the stream after being stocked. It hadn't grown over an inch in a years time in the stream.IMG_20190427_122652981_HDR_copy_1000x750.jpg

trout maharishi

That's a nice looking fish for a stocker flyrod. I like catching the wild ones:cool: I think I may have caught 4 or 5 of them in 50+ years of fly fishing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a nice looking fish for a stocker flyrod. I like catching the wild ones:cool: I think I may have caught 4 or 5 of them in 50+ years of fly fishing.
I have caught a couple stocked ones, but never a wild one in 40+ years of fly fishing.

lampern

As I understand it, the DNR in Georgia doesn't spawn any trout but gets the eggs from other sources to hatch.

Can anyone confirm?

So it might make getting tiger trout very expensive or impossible

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As I understand it, the DNR in Georgia doesn't spawn any trout but gets the eggs from other sources to hatch.

Can anyone confirm?

The last batch NC stocked was an accident, according to a biologist I talked to. Somebody at the hatchery mixed up brown trout eggs with brook trout eggs.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Why stock tiger trout? They would take up just as much space in the raceways as others. Wouldn't you rather catch something that if it survives can reproduce and thus the fry would be natives?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Can anyone confirm?

If GA wants Tiger Trout, money won't be an issue.

GA does get eggs from other places like any good DNR should. We just got eggs from Montana that will help us through 2023 due to a flood.

I wouldn't mind catching a Tiger in GA.

lampern

Why stock tiger trout? They would take up just as much space in the raceways as others. Wouldn't you rather catch something that if it survives can reproduce and thus the fry would be natives?

Because trout stocking is put and take.

You stock the trout and people catch them and take them home to eat.

Wild trout reproduce on their own and are not stocked.

The reason for stocking tiger trout is just something different to catch and grows bigger than your average stocked trout

lampern

Tiger trout, are often stocked in waters in the western and northwestern United States. This is the first time they have been stocked in the State and for the most part is an experimental stocking without any guarantee that it will happen again.

They were released just below the dam at the boat ramp on the Baxter county side with hopes that many would stay in the catch and release section of the river and have a higher chance of survival over the up coming years.

So how did the AGFC get so lucky obtaining these little deviations from the norm in the trout world?

They were acquired via trade as fingerlings from a hatchery in Wyoming in April 2019, in the exchange for channel catfish and crappie.

Arkansas got theirs from Wyoming

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word

The reason for stocking tiger trout is just something different to catch and grows bigger than your average stocked trout
Grow bigger in the week that they have from the put and catch?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
In the Hooch tailwater they could grow year around.

I would try them there
What do you actually know about the Tailwater? If someone wanted to try Tiger trout ANYWHERE in GA in a put and take away stream you would have more takers.

Trying to screw with arguably the best Brown Trout Fishery in the South would get some negative push back. You could dump them in the head waters and probably never hear many complaints.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

What few stocked tigers I have caught and seen others catch were not bigger than other stocked trout. Smaller than a lot of the rainbows and browns, actually. Never saw one over about 11".

Latest posts