Stolen Camera Returned

I had my game camera stolen a month or so ago. Probably some punk kids that live adjacent to my property. Pretty much knew who it was but didn't have enough proof to go knocking on doors, especially in that neck of the woods. I reported it to Tactacam and the sheriffs office. On Monday I got a call from Tactacam confirming the camera was stolen because someone tried to register it. Tactacam told him it was stolen. Allegedly this guys son was given the cam by a friend. Now I know he's not the one who stole it because these people live an hour away. Anyway, the guy agreed to give it back yesterday I met him half way and got my camera back. All it is missing is the antenna, they sell replacements for $9. Still had batteries and my SD card. So here is to honest people and getting your stolen goods back. I will be buying a metal case for it when I put it back out later this summer, they only cost like $24.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good stuff here !!!

You should have reported it to the police and had them arrested for theft. Let the police prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.
I did make a police report and I tried to get the police to go to the house I THINK these kids live in, but he said without better evidence he could not. There is no hard evidence as to exactly who it is, so there is no real way to have them arrested. I sure wish I could have though.

Soooooo.........you knew who had possession of your stolen camera. And the police would not go get it and put the squeeze on the people who were in possession of your camera?

What am I missing here?

If someone told me they would meet me with my stolen camera they would be meeting a police car, not me, and they could explain the situation to the police......just saying.

The person in possession of stolen property is just as guilty as the person who stole it in my opinion.

You missed the part where I said the person that volunteered to give it back to me is not the person who stole it more than likely. The guy who I got it back from lives an hour from where it was stolen. It was stolen on private property that very few people have access to. He said his son got it as a "gift" from a friend for Xmas. As soon as he found out it was stolen he volunteered to return it. And he offer almost insisted on trying to get more information for me to help my try to find the true thieves. I did not see a reason to have the police involved.

Wow! You are intense! Don't cross you huh?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
You missed the part where I said the person that volunteered to give it back to me is not the person who stole it more than likely. The guy who I got it back from lives an hour from where it was stolen. It was stolen on private property that very few people have access to. He said his son got it as a "gift" from a friend for Xmas. As soon as he found out it was stolen he volunteered to return it. And he offer almost insisted on trying to get more information for me to help my try to find the true thieves. I did not see a reason to have the police involved.

He just hates a thief about as much as me

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Were there any pictures on the SD card?

There is 1 pic of one of the kids on there, it is from a distance and not very conclusive He is very small in the corner of the shot and just half his face. From the time they nabbed the camera until the time they were in a house was only 8 minutes. So I know it was one of the houses along my western property line. In the picture the kid is wearing a blaze orange hoodie. The other day I was driving down the road and there was a kid playing basketball in a blaze orange hoodie in one of the houses along my western property line. I told all of this to the police, no support for a house visit from them. Not sure I feel comfortable knocking on doors and accusing people of theft. I pasted that property line with no trespassing signs. They have to know I know it is them. I am hoping for no more trouble out of them.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Yup, some of us are "no quarter for thiefs kinda guys".

sleepr71

If you have another, non-cellular camera that you can put out there to watch the Tactacam. That might not be a bad idea. Place it higher than anybody could reach, and out of sight,but to get a good pic of anybody messing around with your Tactacam?

sleepr71

Go print out WANTED pics of the kid in the Orange hoodie...place them in mailboxes around where that kid lives..with the Orange hoodie..and see what kind of response you get ?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've had one camera stolen by a timber cruiser. Knowing he would be back to finish cruising. Put a tree across the road with a note. My ph nr, saying call me or I will turn you in to the law. He called and said he would leave the camera, but was afraid someone might find it before I came for it. I told him, leave it right where you're standing, I'm watching you. He put the camera down, looked around and left. Yep, I was watching him, sitting against a tree in camo turkey hunting. He never saw me. Bet he doesn't steal another one.

whitter

BANNED
I watched this and a bit crude but functional. I just stand on my 4 wheeler rack.
Could maybe keep from the passerby from just walking off with a cam.