Storm a -coming

pbradley

Ian has me thinking I could probably use a generator for emergencies.

If all I needed to do was run a couple of fridges for a few days, what would be a good option?

TomC

I've got a bigger Honda generator (EM5000SX) but the small ones (EU2200i) are quiet and its always the top rated small generator. Hard to ever find a Honda on sale but a couple times a year Northern Tool runs a $200 off if you spend a grand. Worth signing up for their emails and keeping an eye on their site!

Yes, pricey but there are a few basic rules in life and one of them is if it has a small engine in it, it will be a Honda!

Hillbilly stalker

This is something where Harbor Freight isn't a bad option. The predator series are cheap, and really well liked by many. I know of some food truck operators running them with thousands of hours.
My hunting buddy has the larger Predator from HF. We use it to run a good size camper on our hunting trips every year. Tv, fridge, microwave…it handles it all. No problems in 2 1/2 years so far. We usually run it 4 days/ nights.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Squirrel passes gas out here and the power is out. I had a sub panel put in with an RV plug in the back of my house. It has tied breaker so the entire downstairs and basement of my house are selectable main feed from the line or the RV outlet. No pulling the meter, no worries about back feed. It’s an economical solution short of a Generac.36A169F3-334A-4179-B56F-9EEE731A193F.jpeg5B3FC235-D812-4BF2-ABEF-5A2F1A884E62.jpeg7F34AD1D-CB12-4D87-A740-2F89605B0959.jpeg10K

Deerhead

Even the small Honda will run a small window A/C and it can be rotated to keep freezers frozen and reefers cool.

I also have a small Honda. I use it when we loose power. It will run the frig./freezer, TV and a few lights. Last snow storm I am watching TV, fire place going and my friends next door cant understand how I have power. They are a good investment.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I also have a small Honda. I use it when we loose power. It will run the frig./freezer, TV and a few lights. Last snow storm I am watching TV, fire place going and my friends next door cant understand how I have power. They are a good investment.
That's what we have and use it for the same thing. Thank goodness we haven't had to use it much. And I can even operate it. :bounce: H22 used to always be on storm duty so it was just me.

earlthegoat2

I have a generator I got as a gift (that I never wanted) that is still new in box.

A week or so without power from Matthew and another week from Irma. I still have never used it.

Use that info for whatever it is worth. My Pelican 65 keeps things cold. I have only ever put beer it though during outages. Otherwise it’s hauling meat.

ribber

Most any brand 3000-4000 watt generator will run your freezers and fridges and small appliances. I got a Wen duel fuel just to have the propane option, but Ryobi, Champion, HF Predator are all worthy. My only recommendation is to get one with wheels. Some can be heavy to move around.

IIICrkRepr

I use a Yamaha 2000 to run a fridge, freezer and small window AC unit at my house after power goes out.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Squirrel passes gas out here and the power is out. I had a sub panel put in with an RV plug in the back of my house. It has tied breaker so the entire downstairs and basement of my house are selectable main feed from the line or the RV outlet. No pulling the meter, no worries about back feed. It’s an economical solution short of a Generac.View attachment 1179178View attachment 1179179View attachment 117918010K
That's what I did and bought a duel fuel gennerator.Propane or gas.
My brother runs a predator from harbor freight for the last 2 years on a off grid home

ucfireman

The dual fuel I think is a good idea. You can get a few 20 lb taks and store them in a shed and then store the generator inside without worry. Unlike gas only powered, still get gas fumes.
I want a "whole house" propane but may start with a small one and just plug things in.
I just need one for the well too or I wont have water.
I really like the way Ruger has his. Wonder how much an electrician would charge to do that.

Duff

The dual fuel I think is a good idea. You can get a few 20 lb taks and store them in a shed and then store the generator inside without worry. Unlike gas only powered, still get gas fumes.
I want a "whole house" propane but may start with a small one and just plug things in.
I really like the way Ruger has his. Wonder how much an electrician would charge to do that.

I have the same set up as Ruger. It cost me about $700 a few years ago. That was including a 75’ extension cord to get my generator away from my house. Of course, I haven’t used it once since I had it installed ?. Not complaining though

TomC

I was quoted about a $1000 for a transfer switch. I cheaped out and he put a dedicated outlet on my barn for my generator to just power my well pump if I loose power so I'll have water.

Really like the 5000 watt Honda I got. Will power 110 and 240 and on auto throttle she purrs real quiet! Most bigger ones sound like trains!

Big7

The Oracle
This is something where Harbor Freight isn't a bad option. The predator series are cheap, and really well liked by many. I know of some food truck operators running them with thousands of hours.
A google search will show that the Predator engines are as good as any and in the top few in sales in the US.

Put together here from overseas parts.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

$1,200, parts and labor. I had two 50 amp service cables made, 8 ft and 50 ft, so I can move the Jenny away from the house if I have to run it long term.

pjciii

Most any brand 3000-4000 watt generator will run your freezers and fridges and small appliances. I got a Wen duel fuel just to have the propane option, but Ryobi, Champion, HF Predator are all worthy. My only recommendation is to get one with wheels. Some can be heavy to move around.

I also got the Wen dual fuel 11,500 watts. I had a separate Box for when i have to use it and it will not back feed. I have only used propane No stink when running. I chose not to power the electric Oven and 1 a/c and washer/dryer. Everything else is on the backup. Bedroom a/c and heat, fridge, microwave, toaster oven, tv, hot water heater and well pump. I looked at champion, craftsman, honda. Honda is pretty proud of their generator so it got scratched off the list quickly just based on price. Peace of mind is priceless. I do exercise The generator Monthly.