Strap ladder vs stix

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
This may sound weird, but when I first got mine, climbed about 5ft up in my backyard, threw on a podcast, and hung in the saddle for awhile and listened to it. Even watched a few youtube videos on my phone while i was up there...swung around just tried to get comfortable, figure out what i could get away with on the platform and all that good stuff. Sounds like a long time but if you have an hour or two where you usually sit and watch TV or do something non-productive....its a better way to kill the time.
That’s more sound advice and not weird at all……saddle hunting is almost weird in itself. And it’s definitely something to practice at versus just expecting to jump on a tree and go….still undecided on climbing methods, but the WE steps seem pretty cool…….I also like the way their platform sits on the top step. THe single stick method is also appealing …..I’ll probably end up with a set of sticks though.
Trying to figure out what size line to use.

dang

DANG !!!
That’s more sound advice and not weird at all……saddle hunting is almost weird in itself. And it’s definitely something to practice at versus just expecting to jump on a tree and go….still undecided on climbing methods, but the WE steps seem pretty cool…….I also like the way their platform sits on the top step. THe single stick method is also appealing …..I’ll probably end up with a set of sticks though.
Trying to figure out what size line to use.
Yeah, i'm not using their platform, but i do have a five pack of the wild edge steps. I can get to about 18ft with my sticks and my long legs, so my thought was not to use them as my main climbing method, but more that i could throw a few steps in the top pocket of my frame pack if i needed extra height, or shed a few sticks and substitute a couple steps. I havent hunted with them yet so i'll report back when i do get a chance.
When you say what size line, do you mean for making a linemans rope to pair with an ascender?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Yeah, i'm not using their platform, but i do have a five pack of the wild edge steps. I can get to about 18ft with my sticks and my long legs, so my thought was not to use them as my main climbing method, but more that i could throw a few steps in the top pocket of my frame pack if i needed extra height, or shed a few sticks and substitute a couple steps. I havent hunted with them yet so i'll report back when i do get a chance.
When you say what size line, do you mean for making a linemans rope to pair with an ascender?

Yes! Tether too! I have tether straps with current safety harnesses, but I’d like to try rappelling down. I like the ascender versus the P knot for ease of use too. Best I can tell I am getting static rope(no to little stretch) but I’ve seen 8-13mm size. Got a ropeman 1 coming, since my life depends on it……figured this is not a place to cut corners.

dang

DANG !!!
Yes! Tether too! I have tether straps with current safety harnesses, but I’d like to try rappelling down. I like the ascender versus the P knot for ease of use too. Best I can tell I am getting static rope(no to little stretch) but I’ve seen 8-13mm size. Got a ropeman 1 coming, since my life depends on it……figured this is not a place to cut corners.
Unfortunately, i cant help you out with rappelling. But i've had my current lineman i had a buddy made me for two seasons now and it's held up really well. Its somewhere between 10-13mm rope (not 100% sure). This is what it looks like (black) I like the rope-man ascender better on the lineman than the prusik knot because you can work it with one hand. For tree tether, i'm just using tethrd's since i was gifted it.
B4879C6E-D33B-44F2-A945-A5ADE81DC15A.jpeg

dang

DANG !!!
Also -- i've used my lineman as my tethr a few times, you can get away with either to do both....i'm a bit scared of heights, so when i get up 20ft on that tiny saddle platform, i dont like having to unhook my lineman and tun it into my tether. So i carry both to make sure I never come un-attached from the tree