Subsoiling clover plots ?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Do y’all ever?

I have one well established clover plot on what was once a logging road and logging dock. It’s in good shape as far as soil tests go.

But most of it is definitely “hard pan” and doesn’t let moisture in as it could.
Would the damage to my clover be offset by the benefits of subsoiling?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Do y’all ever?

I have one well established clover plot on what was once a logging road and logging dock. It’s in good shape as far as soil tests go.

But most of it is definitely “hard pan” and doesn’t let moisture in as it could.
Would the damage to my clover be offset by the benefits of subsoiling?
Subsoiling can’t hurt, oh maybe set your clover back a little for a short while, no biggie there. Deep breakup of that hard pan would do wonders I believe.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I just last week ran over part of mine with a disk harrow

GeorgeShu

A little short term disruption for some long term benefit.
I subsoiled mine after last use as loading decks nd they have come back just fine.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Subsoiling can’t hurt, oh maybe set your clover back a little for a short while, no biggie there. Deep breakup of that hard pan would do wonders I believe.

A little short term disruption for some long term benefit.
I subsoiled mine after last use as loading decks nd they have come back just fine.

I have a single shank plow and 5ft tractor. I’m thinking 2.5 ft apart furrows driving the tractor tires over each furrow as I plow a new one.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I have a single shank plow and 5ft tractor. I’m thinking 2.5 ft apart furrows driving the tractor tires over each furrow as I plow a new one.
Sounds good to me,I’ve proved to my own satisfaction that deep plowing/subsoiling gives real improvement. I also believe it’s best to stay off land with equipment when not necessary,especially when it’s wet.

Ihunt

MM,
I subsoiled mine earlier this year. It beat it up a little in furrows but seems to be slowly filling back in. I sprayed them and now need to mow and fertilize them but the cost of fertilizer is giving me pause.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What was your purpose?
I done one strip in early March while I was breaking up a chufa plot a little to help the turkeys get started and it seems to look better than the rest. Can’t kill it anyway