Suburban Coyote Trapping/Killing

lildorris00

I live in a suburban community with a fair amount of land between subdivisions & etc. I get multiple pics every night of coyotes, sometimes 3-4 in the same pic. I have no problem shooting them but I never see them in the daylight. Does anyone have any ideas to get rid/reduce the population that doesn't involve the chance of catching a neighbors dog or something? I don't have enough land to really hunt them.

Yotedawg

Are you located in city limits? Are there ordinances banning trapping or hunting? If hunting is allowed, how much land is a fair amount? Hi powered rifles will travel a long way. Shotguns may be better suited. If hunting is allowed, I am sure some dawg hunters in your area would be glad to help you out provided permissions could be obtained from land owners. If you are seeing that many dawgs you have a problem, but shooting around suburban areas scares me. Trapping may be a better choice but like you say, traps are indiscriminate. They may catch someones pet that will then be an easy meal for the coyotes. Coyotes are very adaptable and what you are seeing in suburban areas is only going to get worse. Problem is I am not sure if hunting or trapping is a viable solution in an area with a lot of people and homes. Good luck with finding a solution.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I trapped one area that has several homes in the area , I just went to each one that I thought may have dogs or were close to where I was trapping and told them what I was doing , most were glad I was doing what I was doing , but I was on my property and just really being a good neighbor , even got a new place to turkey hunt , but this was out in the country

280 Man

Banned
I trapped one area that has several homes in the area , I just went to each one that I thought may have dogs or were close to where I was trapping and told them what I was doing , most were glad I was doing what I was doing , but I was on my property and just really being a good neighbor , even got a new place to turkey hunt , but this was out in the country

I do this exact thing! I inform any neighbor that could be impacted by letting them know that traps are in the ground and that if their dog runs free it might be in their best interest to keep it up a little while or keep a close watch!

I do it out of courtesy but to be honest it's not my responsibility to keep their pets safe! However, I go to great lengths to keep dogs, cats or whatever out of traps!

Being a responsible pet owner means keeping "your" pet at home and off other peoples land!

280 Man

Banned
There are leash laws in Georgia. People need to keep their pets on their own property.

I've caught dogs and cats several times with no damage to the animals.

I've never caught a dog but I've caught two cats and like you no harm was done to the cats by the traps! I turned them loose as well!

Doug B.

I caught a dog this past season, got it out of the trap and it just kinda hung around. I didn't do a remake right then cause I didn't want it to get back in my trap so I went on to check more traps. When I came back, the dog was curled up in the same bed he had made while he was in the trap. I went ahead and pulled the trap!

DLH_Woodstock

I have been trapping coyotes behind my house for years now. I got tired of seeing more coyotes than deer! So, for two years no one knew I had started trapping (I got five the first year). Then two years ago I had a new neighbor move in and he likes to sit outside in the mornings. For which I do not blame him, as I love to do the same.

One morning he heard something and looked over the fence and saw a big male (37.8 lbs.) caught in my trap behind the house. He did not know what to do and did not want to confront a new neighbor, so he called animal control. That is what got the game warden showing up at my door a few days later. He asked if I could show him the traps and what I was doing. After showing him my traps and what I was doing he said keep up the good work.

I have caught three house cats over the years and was able to release them all unharmed. I use the bridger#2 dogless modified set with 3 ½ to 4 lbs. of pan tension. The last cat I caught was two weeks ago and I saw her walking across the street on Friday. In hindsight, I should have gone to my neighbors and let them know what I was doing behind my house. But you cannot get behind my house without trespassing mine and other people’s properties. I caught two coyotes last week and if I start seeing more coyotes on the trail camera’s, I will reset them traps again.

I am all for trapping in and around subdivisions as long, as you keep up with them. I can see all my traps from the backyard fence and have gone out at night and put an animal down when needed. I never want to see an animal suffer needlessly.

280 Man

Banned
I have been trapping coyotes behind my house for years now. I got tired of seeing more coyotes than deer! So, for two years no one knew I had started trapping (I got five the first year). Then two years ago I had a new neighbor move in and he likes to sit outside in the mornings. For which I do not blame him, as I love to do the same.

One morning he heard something and looked over the fence and saw a big male (37.8 lbs.) caught in my trap behind the house. He did not know what to do and did not want to confront a new neighbor, so he called animal control. That is what got the game warden showing up at my door a few days later. He asked if I could show him the traps and what I was doing. After showing him my traps and what I was doing he said keep up the good work.

I have caught three house cats over the years and was able to release them all unharmed. I use the bridger#2 dogless modified set with 3 ½ to 4 lbs. of pan tension. The last cat I caught was two weeks ago and I saw her walking across the street on Friday. In hindsight, I should have gone to my neighbors and let them know what I was doing behind my house. But you cannot get behind my house without trespassing mine and other people’s properties. I caught two coyotes last week and if I start seeing more coyotes on the trail camera’s, I will reset them traps again.

I am all for trapping in and around subdivisions as long, as you keep up with them. I can see all my traps from the backyard fence and have gone out at night and put an animal down when needed. I never want to see an animal suffer needlessly.

I agree with letting neighbors know what you are doing but in retrospect you are not required to do so! While I have done this, it is also not your responsibility for your neighbors dog or cat! Being a responsible pet owner means keeping your animals off my land and on your own!

chase870

Possum Sox
I hunt in some pretty tight suburban areas. Kitten in distress is a killer on the yotes. I am always mindful to pick my shots with whats down range in mind. Its easier when you hunt after midnight most people never hear the shot

sleepr71

For you guys that trap Urban areas...is there a certain style/model trap You prefer? Whatever offers less chance of paw damage.

buckpasser

It may be possible but not really simple to grind out those cast jaws and polish all the rough edges to achieve the same “offset” effect. If I had straight jaw 550’s that’s what I’d set and check them responsibly, but that’s advice from someone who probably shouldn’t be giving it!