Suggestions

bmoss

I’ve got a fox coming in and getting a chicken about every other day. I work six days a a week and it is coming in around lunch to early morning. I believe it’s probably the same one that gave me problems around this time last year. Was thinking about one of those big live traps you put a live chicken in. I’m not sure how affective they are. Any help would be nice

Doug B.

I don't know how effective it would be either, but I'm pretty sure it is illegal.
It probably has pups nearby and your chickens are an easy meal for it. I'm assuming your chickens are free range.
Your best bet is a foot hold trap to catch it or shoot it if you can be there to see it.

buckpasser

Simple foothold set if he’s coming into a pen. If it’s free range chickens, it might be a little tricky. I found a red fox den in a saw mill scrap pile once. There was a rooster comb laying there that came from my neighbor’s favorite rooster and his house was miles away. One of those parent foxes actually died trying for another chicken. Apparently smashed under the hooves of said neighbor’s newly acquired donkey.

Doug B.

I think they have a den close by somewhere cause every spring is when I have problems
Yep that's kinda what I figured. If you can find which direction they are coming from and set a foothold trap before they get to where your chickens are would probably be your best bet.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ll say this and then hush. A fox won`t quit until all your chickens are gone, or locked up in a predator proof coop. Especially if it`s a red. They seem more persistent than a gray, at least in my experience.

Good luck....

Doug B.

I`ll say this and then hush. A fox won`t quit until all your chickens are gone, or locked up in a predator proof coop. Especially if it`s a red. They seem more persistent than a gray, at least in my experience.

Good luck....
Truth!

chase870

Possum Sox
Yea it’s a red my ol lady has seen it. May try the foot hold I got a couple ol rusty ones in the building. Tryed the fox pro call with no success
Try the call again if he's around and hungry he will come pay attention to the wind old fox is crafty. The fox's I have called up have come to baby cottontail Greys and Red alike. They are a bit more cautious than the Yote good luck

Latest posts