Summarized WMA hunting results

oldfatbubba

Here is a link to a summary of 2019-2020 WMA deer hunt results. It contains totals posted to the DNR’s database for hunts where DNR staff actively checked-in deer. Unfortunately, it excludes kills submitted through Game Check and any ongoing hunts that have not concluded.

The file is in MS Excel and contains several pivot tables with various statistics and WMA rankings with results back to 2011. Data from 2016 to date may be somewhat less complete / accurate if a hunter submitted their kill in Game Check without bringing the deer to the check-in station.

I suggest that you save this link (vs downloading the file) as I will be posting updates throughout the season as time permits. Enjoy!

Click here

Last edited:

GTHunter

Thanks for posting this every year. It is a great source of info when deciding on future hunts and it looks like you even spiced it up with some nice graphics this year. I really look forward to seeing this post each season.

Zgoossens

I picked Chattahoochee Fall Line - Almo for my quota application this year based on analysis of your spreadsheet. It was a huge success. Got a nice 7-point! Looked at the success rates and the number of hunters per acre and that one looked like a good option. Thanks for the work you do.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
How to use your info.
Al I see are total hunters and avg hunter per wma.

oldfatbubba

Regarding the decline
Looks like the turnouts for the WMA hunts have gone down significantly.

The YOY decline reflected in these figures is probably related to the 2016 implementation of Game Check. The data within my summary doesn’t include the # of hunters who checked-in online. I would love to add that data but have been unable to secure it from the DNR. @C.Killmaster, can you help?

With that said, the # of license holder has been flat for many years.

Last edited:

oldfatbubba

Good info, when will all the hunts be added?

Good question. The data is entered whenever DNR staff has time. Its source is not real-time data from Game Check but the sign-in sheets and harvest records gathered by DNR staff during those hunts where they are present. @C.Killmaster please clarify in needed.

oldfatbubba

Thanks buddy! Real good data there. Weill you be updating that at the end of the season?

Yes. I check the DNR’s database weekly and post updates when they’re available.

For 2019/2020, I will begin incorporating kill data from Game Check, where appropriate. For some WMAs, the DNR’s database includes the # of participants but excludes the # of kills. In these situations, I sort of fill in the blanks with the Game Check kill data. I just began this process and don’t know if it will produce reasonable success rate statistics. Bear with me.

oldfatbubba

Here's the new link to where the data will be presented. Some regions are further along with data entry than others.

https://arcg.is/1nrPiH

Thank you for sharing this link! I used the new system to update my file! I do have hame questions about the data. Does it include hunters that signed-in / checked-in on-line an by paper sheets? Does it also include kills reported through GameCheck? Will this new system eventually allow a user to do a bulk data download? Lastly, should I discontinue using the old system (www1.gadnr.org/dnr/deer/public) or will the data in the above link be mirrored on the older system?

Again, BIG HUGE THANKS FOR THE LINK TO THE DATA!

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Thank you for sharing this link! I used the new system to update my file! I do have hame questions about the data. Does it include hunters that signed-in / checked-in on-line an by paper sheets? Does it also include kills reported through GameCheck? Will this new system eventually allow a user to do a bulk data download? Lastly, should I discontinue using the old system (www1.gadnr.org/dnr/deer/public) or will the data in the above link be mirrored on the older system?

Again, BIG HUGE THANKS FOR THE LINK TO THE DATA!

Those numbers should reflect online and traditional sign-in as well as deer reported to both Game Check and check-in hunts. We are transitioning away from the old system, so the old site will probably be discontinued. We don't have an easy way to create a download option in the new system, but we can put all the results into Excel and email it upon request.

tonyrittenhouse

Here's the new link to where the data will be presented. Some regions are further along with data entry than others.

https://arcg.is/1nrPiH
What about the people that are signing in on line for the wma hunts. They are not being counted in the total number of hunters The only people that are being counted are the ones that are signing in at the check stations That will make the success rate numbers to be inflated compared to the actual numbers. I live next to Johns mtn. wma and made it a point to keep count of the number of hunters that signed in at the check station. I also help sign 3 guys in on line that I work with They were never accounted for in the total # of hunters for the hunt I wounder how many more people signed in on line also that were not accounted for ?

oldfatbubba

Those numbers should reflect online and traditional sign-in as well as deer reported to both Game Check and check-in hunts. We are transitioning away from the old system, so the old site will probably be discontinued. We don't have an easy way to create a download option in the new system, but we can put all the results into Excel and email it upon request.
I keyed the data into my file yesterday but will probably take you up on the offer of a download at a later date.