Super stakes vs Wolf fangs

buckpasser

For the GON trapping elite:

Give me the pros and cons for each. I’ve always used WF, but they are getting expensive with the year round trapping I’ve been doing. Most of them bend a little upon driving even if I go through the trouble of digging them up. I’m paying $2 for WF and just bought a few super stakes to test. I paid $3.50 for them with cable attached. I’m thinking I can dig/pull them repeatedly and come out way ahead long term. I normally run 8” cable on the WF, but ordered 12” on the SS because they look a little less sturdy in design. I noticed I can buy the SS much cheaper online if I like them. What say you fellows?

furtaker

I guess I'm old school but I double stake with 18in rebar. All my rigs have a shock spring and a Chestnut double stake ring on the end. A little twisting and tugging with a pair of channel locks and rebar pulls right up.

I've used both Super Stakes and Wolf Fangs and didn't like either. I hate pulling earth anchors.

280 Man

Banned
For the GON trapping elite:

Give me the pros and cons for each. I’ve always used WF, but they are getting expensive with the year round trapping I’ve been doing. Most of them bend a little upon driving even if I go through the trouble of digging them up. I’m paying $2 for WF and just bought a few super stakes to test. I paid $3.50 for them with cable attached. I’m thinking I can dig/pull them repeatedly and come out way ahead long term. I normally run 8” cable on the WF, but ordered 12” on the SS because they look a little less sturdy in design. I noticed I can buy the SS much cheaper online if I like them. What say you fellows?

2 dollars a piece for WF's. Im paying just over a dollar per minus shipping. Ive never had a big issue with them bending. I run either 12 in or 15 in 1/8 cable. I dig mine up until the ground gets hard. I mark the spot and dig them up first of the year. Never tried the SS ones

Ol' Gobblero

Chained super stakes with welded j hooks on MB crunch proof swivels. Make or buy a puller. I have some that have been in rotation for 10 years.

buckpasser

Chained super stakes with welded j hooks on MB crunch proof swivels. Make or buy a puller. I have some that have been in rotation for 10 years.

I’ve not tried chain yet, but long term like that was what I was hoping to hear. How deep do you run them? It doesn’t take much depth to hold a four wheeler with the WF in this sand/clay mix around here.

buckpasser

2 dollars a piece for WF's. Im paying just over a dollar per minus shipping. Ive never had a big issue with them bending. I run either 12 in or 15 in 1/8 cable. I dig mine up until the ground gets hard. I mark the spot and dig them up first of the year. Never tried the SS ones

I buy them at my local shop (which I love to support). That price is with the cable clamped on at any reasonable length. I’ve decided to use them as much as possible. If they closed I’d be stuck completely online. Even Agrisupply has a crap selection and no anchors of any kind.

Ol' Gobblero

I’ve not tried chain yet, but long term like that was what I was hoping to hear. How deep do you run them? It doesn’t take much depth to hold a four wheeler with the WF in this sand/clay mix around here.
They come about 18 inches. I normally cut them down to 12 inches before I attach them.

280 Man

Banned
I buy them at my local shop (which I love to support). That price is with the cable clamped on at any reasonable length. I’ve decided to use them as much as possible. If they closed I’d be stuck completely online. Even Agrisupply has a crap selection and no anchors of any kind.

Wished I did but I don't have a local shop. I don't need a 15 in length, going to try and see if I can get them 10-12 in length

Doug B.

I've never tried the super stakes but, I really like the Wolf Fangs. Most of the places I trap is black dirt farmland. But even if it happens to be red clay where I drive one in, I take a 2" auger bit and drill down beside the cable. I made a puller by welding a brace on a metal fence post. Then i welded a hook on it. After drilling a hole beside the cable with the auger bit the Wolf Fang pulls out easy peasy.

buckpasser

I've never tried the super stakes but, I really like the Wolf Fangs. Most of the places I trap is black dirt farmland. But even if it happens to be red clay where I drive one in, I take a 2" auger bit and drill down beside the cable. I made a puller by welding a brace on a metal fence post. Then i welded a hook on it. After drilling a hole beside the cable with the auger bit the Wolf Fang pulls out easy peasy.

In this clay hardpan they seem to bend them and deform on the rear tabs just from driving. That’s without tugging on them. I dig them up with post hole diggers and still have to straighten or chunk them.

Doug B.

Sounds like the super stakes might be more suited for you. Try some and let us know what you think about them.

buckpasser

Will do. If they pass the test I’ll chain them like ‘ol gobblero and hopefully be done buying anchors for a while.

sleepr71

Furtaker...what size Rebar do you use for anchors? I’d think that 3/8 would be plenty for holding any predator around here?? I’m also wanting to work smarter...not harder..nor spending any more money than necessary ?

blt152

Wished I did but I don't have a local shop. I don't need a 15 in length, going to try and see if I can get them 10-12 in length
Look at Southern Snares and Supplys. They have Wolf Fangs starting at $14.95 a dozen for 12 inch. They are in Hortense, Ga. Brian use to offer a special in state shipping rate. Good luck and tight chains.

Last edited:

buckpasser

Well GALLDURNIT!

I should be showing my Fellow GONians coyote number 8 of my career today. I should be deciding on live market or killing. I should be super pumped about how this fall is going.

Instead, I checked my sets this morning and find that my furthest set out in the cotton is now a muddy crater minus one trap...

Unfortunately, some time before or during the rain last night, something, presumably a coyote, offered himself to my trap, then ripped out, trap still attached! What sucks is that the rain washed out most of the information. I firmly believe that it was the cable crimp. I base this on finding one in my last batch that was crimped below the end and it popped right out upon inspection. I also had to get onto the guy again on this batch for not tucking the cable all the way through the clamp before crimping. Instead of an apology, he offered a “It still can’t come out!” I don’t generally pull on them very hard to set them when in good hardpan like I was on this set. The fact that the other trap within stepping range wasn’t disturbed, and that the coffee filter and polyfill were laying right there close, tells me he wasn’t there for long. Has anyone else had this happen?

Either way, I guess all my anchors will come from Southern now no matter which brand I use.

Disappointed buckpasser

280 Man

Banned
Well GALLDURNIT!

I should be showing my Fellow GONians coyote number 8 of my career today. I should be deciding on live market or killing. I should be super pumped about how this fall is going.

Instead, I checked my sets this morning and find that my furthest set out in the cotton is now a muddy crater minus one trap...

Unfortunately, some time before or during the rain last night, something, presumably a coyote, offered himself to my trap, then ripped out, trap still attached! What sucks is that the rain washed out most of the information. I firmly believe that it was the cable crimp. I base this on finding one in my last batch that was crimped below the end and it popped right out upon inspection. I also had to get onto the guy again on this batch for not tucking the cable all the way through the clamp before crimping. Instead of an apology, he offered a “It still can’t come out!” I don’t generally pull on them very hard to set them when in good hardpan like I was on this set. The fact that the other trap within stepping range wasn’t disturbed, and that the coffee filter and polyfill were laying right there close, tells me he wasn’t there for long. Has anyone else had this happen?

Either way, I guess all my anchors will come from Southern now no matter which brand I use.

Disappointed buckpasser

Never had a coyote to get loose. I had one that I don't see how it did't get loose. Only had one back toe on a closed jaw trap. If it would have been an offset it would have been gone.

On another note, I kill all I catch..No questions...

Doug B.

Well GALLDURNIT!

Disappointed buckpasser
Dang I hate to hear that. I crimp my own cable stakes and I have never had one fail so far. I can imagine how sickening that would feel.

So, you use a coffee filter and polyfil?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
In my short trapping career all I’ve used is the fox hollow earth anchors with chain . I trap in red clay and they are a real treat to get up . Have a steak puller and broke 2 chains with it . Also tried the auger bit beside it and the best thing I’ve found to successfully get them up is post hole diggers. And I’m about allergic to them. I’m gonna try some with drags and some with a little extra chain to attach to a tree or fence post and see how that works

furtaker

In my short trapping career all I’ve used is the fox hollow earth anchors with chain . I trap in red clay and they are a real treat to get up . Have a steak puller and broke 2 chains with it . Also tried the auger bit beside it and the best thing I’ve found to successfully get them up is post hole diggers. And I’m about allergic to them. I’m gonna try some with drags and some with a little extra chain to attach to a tree or fence post and see how that works
Try rebar. You'll like it better...at least I do. A few seconds of tugging with a pair of pliers is much easier than post hole diggers. I don't have the time or patience for that.