Super stakes vs Wolf fangs

buckpasser

Dang I hate to hear that. I crimp my own cable stakes and I have never had one fail so far. I can imagine how sickening that would feel.

So, you use a coffee filter and polyfil?

Yessir. I don’t like trying to cover the waxy pan with a thin layer of dirt (it wants to slide and shine) so I poly underneath and tuck the filter over the pan and under the jaws. I liked the factory screen pan covers I had, but not as good as this system. If I could find brown coffee filters I’d like it even better.

As soon as I test these SS I’ll be placing my Southern order with the anchor I like best. Sorry local shop, I’ll still use you all I can...

Doug B.

I use polyfil under the pan. I probably don't necessarily need to but I do. You would be fine doing one or the other. I've never seen anybody do both, but you do what works for you and do what you have confidence in.

CritterCatcher

Either drags or finned superstakes with a retrieval cable. A lot less weight to carry, reusable, and durable. They are near impossible to pull unless you pull on the retrieval cable.

buckpasser

I dug up the anchor in question. Here it be...

BC71BC7E-A948-411D-9EA2-18CBAEAD3F8A.jpeg

mossyoakpro

I'm a super stake fan but have grown fond of drags lately....probably going 75% drags this season. Quick and easy and if you pre hook the animal does not go anywhere or maybe a few yards. The Sabor Tooth drags are awesome

Coons and possum don't go anywhere unfortunately since they tear your set up. LOL

buckpasser

I'm a super stake fan but have grown fond of drags lately....probably going 75% drags this season. Quick and easy and if you pre hook the animal does not go anywhere or maybe a few yards. The Sabor Tooth drags are awesome

Coons and possum don't go anywhere unfortunately since they tear your set up. LOL

Drags seem appealing to me too. I’ve never used them, but I can’t help but appreciate them in theory.

CritterCatcher

The key to drags is to put at least 10 feet of chain on them. That keeps them flat on the ground and gives the drag a better chance of hooking up on something within a relatively short distance.

Keep in mind though, they are not ideal for every situation. Frinstance, I trap on land surrounded by a fence. When I set close to the fence, I anchor them because if I don't, there is a good chance they'll hook up in the fence and make the farmer very angry with me. Not to mention the fence is hot. I don't want to torture yotes as much as I hate them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Are they any negatives to adding a few feet of chain and attaching it to a tree or fence post

mossyoakpro

I love drags so far...I experimented with them some last season with the cheaper version. I ordered a load of sabortooth Freedom drags this year. Everything I caught was right there with the exception of one coyote that went right up the middle of a hard packed road and the drag wouldn't hook up until it went into the woods.

Doug B.

I made a couple of drags out of rebar. One of them is probably over three pounds. The other is maybe just a little under three pounds but I'm a little scared they might not hold. I might put some chain on them and hook them to my dogs collar and see what happens.

Grizzly45

I am no trapping expert. I have only been trapping for about 5 years. I have always used finned super stakes. They are bomb proof. I buy cable and ferrules seperate, then rig them up. Cable in center goes to the trap and the cable on the end goes to a loop that hangs out and turns it perpendicular for easy retrieval. I have never lost one, they are pretty solid and hold good. Spend the xtra on them and use them right they will last a lifetime.

mossyoakpro

I am no trapping expert. I have only been trapping for about 5 years. I have always used finned super stakes. They are bomb proof. I buy cable and ferrules seperate, then rig them up. Cable in center goes to the trap and the cable on the end goes to a loop that hangs out and turns it perpendicular for easy retrieval. I have never lost one, they are pretty solid and hold good. Spend the xtra on them and use them right they will last a lifetime.

I want to try these...I have some spots that the drags will not be good to use(close to houses) I would hate to catch the locals dog and it drag my stuff back to the house somehow so I prefer them to be anchored. I've heard good stuff about the finned Super Stake so I'm going to have to give them a whirl