Supplies..

280 Man

Banned
My Optima V2 LR really likes 100 grs by volume of BH209 and either a 44 or 45 cal 300 gr Hornady XTP and a Harvester sabot.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
My Optima V2 LR really likes 100 grs by volume of BH209 and either a 44 or 45 cal 300 gr Hornady XTP and a Harvester sabot.
Never shot a Say bo before but I got some on the low low.
Couldn’t believe it. A 30 pack with say bose in it for 19.99.
Went to buy them and they were on clearance for 9.99
The hornady 44 hollowpoints. Cant wait till this year!!!:biggestshoot:

tgc

Tunaman I use a sabot with a 300 grain .45 cal handgun bullet with 90 grains blackthorn 209 (loose) powder. The bullet is a jacketed, exposed lead tip flat point. Speer I think. Works for me. Mostly it’s what I happened to have on hand.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I remembered another thing, and looked it up in an old notebook....The Hornady PA conical 240gr on top of 60 gr of powder should shoot into the same neighborhood as the 385 with 80 gr. Good practice load, and about 12 bucks for 50...

Also shot one deer with the PA conical, and it performed very well at about 40 yards.

Never bought into the one size fits all of pellets, because a 5 gr change in powder charge can make a big difference in group size.

And while I'm at it, don't ever let anybody tell you you need a third pellet, cause it just ain't so. All that'll give you is more kick, flinch, fouling, flash, and noise.

My smokers are a TC Omega, and an old Traditions Buckskinner cap gun. I use the plain lead bullets and loose powder in both....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a little suggestion, before you get settled in on your choice of supplies.

Consider using about an 80 grain charge of loose powder, and a Hornady Great Plains 385 gr bullet.

You will find them to shoot very well, easy on the shoulder at 80-90 gr, and they are absolute spectacular death on critters.

Cheap, too. Just bought some at 10.00 a box of 20.

Hard to beat a plain old chunk of lead, despite all the fancy dancy new fangled crap that hits the shelves every year.
This. Definitely.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve killed half a freight train load of deer with 90 grains of powder and 350 grain T/C Maxi-hunters. Hammer of Thor. I think you can’t beat a big, heavy caliber sized solid chunk of lead at muzzleloader velocities.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I’ve killed half a freight train load of deer with 90 grains of powder and 350 grain T/C Maxi-hunters. Hammer of Thor. I think you can’t beat a big, heavy caliber sized solid chunk of lead at muzzleloader velocities.

Ain't it the truth...

Seen more critters flattened where they stood with my 50's and a chunk of lead than anything else I have ever used, and the list is long, over 40 odd years.

I can't see any reason to mess around with anything else...

Tunaman

BANNED
Can’t believe the response, here. Thanks guys....and gals if there are any! LOL. Some differant here than another joint I know of.

Latest posts