Suppressed Rifle For Deer Hunting?

Bear10

As I get older and realize that I didn't do a good job protecting my ears when I was younger, I'm considering buying a suppressed rifle for deer hunting and would like some suggestions from members with knowledge. I want a rifle that will be accurate out to 250 yards and I know the larger calibers will have some noise, so this is where I really needs advice and info from fellow members that know first hand. Thanks in advance for the info.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
350 Legend is a good suppressed cartridge... you are gonna lose some energy with a subsonic round, not sure you would be happy with its performance at 250 yards. But I would give it a look.

Mars

With any caliber capable of delivering enough energy at 250 yds to ethically kill a deer, you are going to have to use supersonic ammo. This means you will have the supersonic crack of the bullet which is much quieter than the shot of an unsuppressed rifle but it is by no means silent. Its still pretty loud but it is much more comfortable than not having a silencer on your gun.

I'm kind of partial to the .308 Win and it suppresses pretty well and will get to 250yds with no problem. There may be a better caliber for the job but 308 rifles with threaded barrels, 30 cal silencers, and 308 ammo are normally easy to find.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I might agree with the .308 choice too. You might even have an opportunity to run it subsonic as well.

I am not sure what is louder with my .260...the crack or the bullet hitting steel at 300 yards....but I think it is the steel.

wareagle700

I'll second the recommendation of a 308 Win. Great cartridge overall and tons of ammo options, even subsonic.
Having several suppressed bolt guns that I hunt with, something with a 20" barrel or shorter is going to be ideal. Adding 6"-9" of suppressor to the end of a barrel changes it's handiness in the woods. Oh and just because you are adding a suppressor doesn't mean you have to have a heavy barrel, I prefer threaded sporter barrels.

JeffinPTC

My son has a Rem 700 aac-sd in 308 with a Silencerco. Comes with 20" threaded bull barrel. We shot several rounds last week, most wo earplugs. He didn't like the factory stock and upgraded with a Bell and Carlson. touching holes at 100 with 36 gr AR Comp and 190 Nosler CCs. Good luck finding anything now, esp for the $499 he got it for last year, and plan 13 months for the ATF if you register the silencer as a trust. Individuals quicker.

https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2018/4/28/remington-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd-reviewed/

https://silencerco.com/silencers/omega-300/

Last edited:

Ajohnson0587

308, 6.5CM/6.5PRC, or any other cartridge really. Obviously some calibers are better then others when suppressed, but any big bore or 30 cal suppressor will make it safer then shooting without ear pro, I have 5 suppressors and really enjoy shooting with them. Investing in quality ear pro is cheaper, but having a suppressor is nice too lol. I have spent the money on both and i can honestly say that good quality pair of custom molded ear pro really goes a long way, even when shooting some calibers suppressed.

Buckhead

Suppressed Rifle Systems makes an integrally suppressed version of the Ruger 77/44. Marketed primarily for hog hunting, very quiet with subsonic 300 grain loads. Generates a lot of energy, just have to manage bullet drop. Check out the YouTube videos.

chuckdog

Due to it facing the muzzle of the rifle when hunting I keep an ear plug in my left ear.
My ears are painfully sensitive to loud or sharp noises.

I made the mistake of letting my curiosity get the better of me about 30 years ago when I fired a 20” .308 Winchester with a brake on it. It felt like someone had stuck an ice pick in my ear.

After two weeks of ringing pain my doctor at that time asked me, “just how much of a dumb*** are you?”

Ear plug in muzzle side ever since.