Surf and Fresh Water Fishing Tybee Island next week

JR924

Avoiding the piers due to some rude people prior year and fish the surf. Where is the best places to go to surf fish and avoid the crowds. I was thinking on either side of the river pier. Fishing for whiting and any other edible species. Don't want sharks, rays. Going to buy market fresh shrimp and salt them overnight. Going to use the fish finder rig ( https://surfcastingrepublic.com/wha...ing/?msclkid=4948b5b9c0f711ec91dc7c524f0b539e) but unsure of hook size and how to hook the shrimp. Any other bait I should buy? Fishing like 8 am to 10 am. Not sure if night fishing pays. Also can you fish the brackish water you see lining the roads with freshwater gear and what can you catch? Any help much appreciated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Avoiding the piers due to some rude people prior year and fish the surf. Where is the best places to go to surf fish and avoid the crowds. I was thinking on either side of the river pier. Fishing for whiting and any other edible species. Don't want sharks, rays. Going to buy market fresh shrimp and salt them overnight. Going to use the fish finder rig ( https://surfcastingrepublic.com/wha...ing/?msclkid=4948b5b9c0f711ec91dc7c524f0b539e) but unsure of hook size and how to hook the shrimp. Any other bait I should buy? Fishing like 8 am to 10 am. Not sure if night fishing pays. Also can you fish the brackish water you see lining the roads with freshwater gear and what can you catch? Any help much appreciated.
If you want whiting, I have caught a lot over the years on squid and cut frozen finger mullet. Both stay on the hook better than shrimp, and don't get pecked off as much by pinfish and stuff. Also, playing the tide usually works better than fishing by time of day. Around an hour each side of low tide is when I've usually done best in the surf.

Squid-caught whiting. The trout came on soft plastics.
whitingntrout.jpg

JR924

Thank you NCHillbilly, very helpful. Could you tell me the best place to buy bait. Thinking I would buy squid, finger mullet and shrimp. I see several listed in Savannah and Tybee Island. Thought I would buy it on my way in. Thanks

JR924

I see Bandy's Bait has been in business in Savannah for 42 years. Sounds good. Looks like several bait shops have closed in the area.