Surf fishing at night

Fisherman001

Have you, or ever heard of anyone catching stripers out in the surf? I heard that they are nocturnal. I know up north they fish for stripers.

slow motion

I never thought about it but squid ought to be thick at times in the surf during a full moon! I may have to give that a go sometime....nothing like fresh squid in its ink! As good to eat as anything in the world....
Always liked calamari but batter and fry a rock and it would probably taste good. Kids talked me into trying a squid ink something or other on a trip to Seattle. I wouldn't do it again. Is it one of those acquired tastes or did I just get a bad chef?

GTMODawg

BANNED
Always liked calamari but batter and fry a rock and it would probably taste good. Kids talked me into trying a squid ink something or other on a trip to Seattle. I wouldn't do it again. Is it one of those acquired tastes or did I just get a bad chef?

Probably a little of both LOL. It is gruesome to look at a plate of squid in ink but it is very tasty. It is as good, in my opinion, as sea urchin....

slow motion

Probably a little of both LOL. It is gruesome to look at a plate of squid in ink but it is very tasty. It is as good, in my opinion, as sea urchin....

Never tried sea urchin either.

Waddams

Where I grew up in VA, we'd catch stripers at night in the surf and from piers. Caught all kinds of other stuff, and would also throw out crab pots to soak. Sometimes would end up with a few bucket full of blue crabs. This was when I was pretty young though, early 1980's. From what I understand, piers and surf are not nearly as productive as they used to be.

Timing for right moon phase and tides was pretty important too. During a rising tide, the cooler water comes in, and the fishies came in closer to shore, and if you were near a marsh grass or oyster bed (food source), you'd get better action fishing and crabbing as they'd be looking for looking for stuff to eat around those items.

Anvil Head

Caught my best ever lineside, 52#s, of the Spit just below Hatteras right at midnight on a soft shellcrab standing in the sand. So yes, all about timing the tides. We were actually targeting bull reds at the time so it was a bit of a fluke. That was many moons ago. Also caught many a big door mat at night back in the sound drifting mud minnows and finger mullet. Can't run the beaches up there like you used to so haven't been in years.
I have always been of the mind that fish are gonna eat or be eaten at anytime day or night. You just have to get the right food in the right place.