Swallow Creek WMA

Zachross96

Me and my buddy are planning a trip to go bear hunting and deer hunting at swallow creek in December, we are both from south Georgia and have never been hunting in the north Georgia mountains. I have done some hiking in the mountains but never hunted. I'm NOT asking for spots or places to go. I would just like to get some opinions about the WMA in general and about animal population and maybe some of the trout fishing. We are going to camp out there but would like to know what we are getting ourselves into before we drive 5hours to get there and want to make sure we are prepared for the worst. Thanks.

blackbear

Get a topo map and study swallows creek wma roads it will help you the most.
You can hunt out of tent camp out near corbin creek area i think its fs#689 road.
Go in at the bridge that crosses Hiawassee river,very very near west of the check in station on north side of the highway.Bring cold weather gear in case it freezes at night you will be high up and it can get cold.
Make sure you have a full tank of gas.
Swallows can be a fun mountain adventure forsure!
And bring a camera the views and mountains are awsome!
Good luck & have fun!

Zachross96

Get a topo map and study swallows creek wma roads it will help you the most.
You can hunt out of tent camp out near corbin creek area i think its fs#689 road.
Go in at the bridge that crosses Hiawassee river,very very near west of the check in station on north side of the highway.Bring cold weather gear in case it freezes at night you will be high up and it can get cold.
Make sure you have a full tank of gas.
Swallows can be a fun mountain adventure forsure!
And bring a camera the views and mountains are awsome!
Good luck & have fun!
Thanks Man!

Mtn Buck

I've hunted it my whole life, and I must say that it is probably one of the toughest WMA's I've ever hunted. But I will say that you will learn a lot from hunting these mountain bucks. I just mainly focus on where the food is and try and find the freshest sign I can, whether that be rubs or just feeding sign. Don't expect to see a lot of deer, there just isn't many around in Hiawassee anymore. I've noticed in the past ten years it seems like the population has gotten lower.

blackbear

Trout fishing is good up the road from Hiwassee get on hwy. 76 go towards Clayton,turn left on Persimmon rd. go a few miles then turn left on Tallulah River rd.

Last edited:

Rulo

Eat bananas at night . The potassium will help with leg cramps setting in as you lay in your bag after climbing all day.

Adventure awaits!