Swamp Hunting

I am new to hunting in flooded timber. The bulk of my experience comes from big lakes on public land.

I have a lease with a significant creek on it that runs about 3/4 of a mile along my boundary. I have seen woodies up and down it and flying all over in the mornings.

I tried to hunt it this morning... I shot one...

How do you set up for woodies? Do I need to take a chainsaw to some of the smaller trees and open a landing zone?

Any advice would be appreciated.

paulito

Bottom line, it is hard to "set up" for woodies. your best course of action is to watch the creek area for a few days and see how the birds transit the corridor. then set up for pass shooting. you can set up for woodies on say a small beaver pond but on something 3/4 of a mile long they may land one spot today and another tomorrow but their travel pattern will typically be predictable. Opinions differ but woodies in my experience are not the best "decoying" waterfowl compared to many others.

27metalman

A couple of decoys on a string can sometimes bring them a little closer.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Molasses, and chopped up sweet taters too, or so I've heard . .

jammeri5

My son and I jump shoot them. It’s a steep bank creek maybe 12 ft sides in most places so they tend to fly with the creek. We get about 50 yards between us and walk to the creek at the same time to flush them at each other. Back of the creek 25 yards or so and walk 75 to 100 yards and repeat. Don’t go to far even if you shoot. Ours don’t spook easily but they aren’t hunted much. One thing we have learned. Seems like when the water is moving faster after a rain they tend to look for a sand bar or some slack water behind a fallen tree.

Attachments

• 7979573F-484A-4223-8A59-52FBA445C062.jpeg
    7979573F-484A-4223-8A59-52FBA445C062.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 20