T.C. Kennon Rifle

canecutter1

my great grandpaw John Henry Wilkins knowed T.C. Kennon real good, my deddy had him customize a stock for his 30-06 and mount the scope

Richard P

I visited Mr Kinnon's shop a few times in the 70s looking for a place to shoot. He was quite a craftsman. Years later, sometime around 1995 or so, I was in O B's BBQ in McDonough and someone at the adjcent table mentioned ''Some gunsmith up around Stone Mountain etc,etc,etc.'' I turned around and said it was T C Kinnon.
How many times do you overhear a conversation and the person at the next table know the person of interest and tells you about them ? I'm sure he is missed. rp

Blip

Hello everyone, I too google searched TC Kennon and found your form. This weekend I was able to purchase three custom rifles of TC's .
Rem. Model 1917 chambered in 300 H&H , Rem model 300 Express in 25 Krag and a Rem model 700 in 6mm Krag. All have heavy barrels and are really awesome weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I figured I would add to this post as I just picked up in an auction a T.C. Kennon 300 win mag target rifle with an FN Mauser action and a Canjar clean break set trigger all in a custom stock. The barrel is dated 1964.

The gun was rough when I bought it, the stock was nicked and scratched and the barrel lost its bluing with some pitting. Although, it had “good bones”. I could tell it was a quality piece.

I guess T.C. channeled from the gun to me because I felt compelled to restore both the stock and the barrel having never done so before. I took my time, using a Birchwood Casey bluing and stock kit. And you can see the results.(photos of the entire rifle were after I restored it. The close ups of the barrel markings were before.)B253654F-7CBB-45FF-8078-4A5B93BBC1F2.jpeg

I can’t wait to shoot this cannon. It weighs close to 20 lbs. it was definitely built for long range target shooting.

Attachments

• 010D0878-948B-4B0E-A074-1CF2EC2DA216.jpeg
    010D0878-948B-4B0E-A074-1CF2EC2DA216.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 85
  • F518B091-C255-42C7-B581-D0CC24EC9662.jpeg
    F518B091-C255-42C7-B581-D0CC24EC9662.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 39AE0B96-C476-4103-A35B-566399FD7648.jpeg
    39AE0B96-C476-4103-A35B-566399FD7648.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 6FCE9C48-3CE2-4C2A-879F-892EEFE3B68B.jpeg
    6FCE9C48-3CE2-4C2A-879F-892EEFE3B68B.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 545DEC2F-648F-4544-BECF-71A30829594B.jpeg
    545DEC2F-648F-4544-BECF-71A30829594B.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 74

godogs57

Nice rifle. TC's nomenclature on the barrel stamps shows the initials of whom it was made for (JRS) the date of completion (12-10-84) and the sequential number of the rifle he has made (his 356th rifle? # was blurred ) . Didnt have my reading glasses on so a number might be off. TC also liked use Douglas barrels. At that time Douglas' best barrel were their "XX" grade barrels. TC would denote "DXX" on the barrels after the sequential numbering, in this case, it would have been stamped beside the 356 notation

Last edited:
Nice rifle. TC's nomenclature on the barrel stamps shows the initials of whom it was made for (JRS) the date of completion (12-10-84) and the sequential number of the rifle he has made (his 356th rifle? # was blurred ) . Didnt have my reading glasses on so a number might be off. TC also liked use Douglas barrels. At that time Douglas' best barrel were their "XX" grade barrels. TC would denote "DXX" on the barrels after the sequential numbering, in this case, it would have been stamped beside the 356 notation

Thank you for the information.

I was wondering what the letters and the date on the bottom of the barrel meant. This barrel is stamped “FN action - made in Belgium”. Possibly a Mauser?

I think the number is 856 it is hard to tell because the first number looks like it may have taken a double hit.

Now I need to find out who J.R.S. was.

This weekend I’ll shoot it.

godogs57

Thank you for the information.

I was wondering what the letters and the date on the bottom of the barrel meant. This barrel is stamped “FN action - made in Belgium”. Possibly a Mauser?

I think the number is 856 it is hard to tell because the first number looks like it may have taken a double hit.

Now I need to find out who J.R.S. was.

This weekend I’ll shoot it.

It might indeed be 856...that would better match up with his production timeline....1984. FN action made in Belgium is nothing more than an FN made commercial Mauser action...same action as your Browning FN Safari rifles made in the 60's and 70's. Its a great action and countless rifles have been made from it, including a TC Kennon 300 Win mag made for a plantation owner down this way that gave it to me years ago. She's a nice rifle and quite the thumper. He put a sweet stock on this baby back in the day!

300  mag.jpg

It might indeed be 856...that would better match up with his production timeline....1984. FN action made in Belgium is nothing more than an FN made commercial Mauser action...same action as your Browning FN Safari rifles made in the 60's and 70's. Its a great action and countless rifles have been made from it, including a TC Kennon 300 Win mag made for a plantation owner down this way that gave it to me years ago. She's a nice rifle and quite the thumper. He put a sweet stock on this baby back in the day!

View attachment 1009205

That is an awesome looking stock.

I like the butt pad on yours. I only have one other bolt action, a Remington 700 PSS .308. While it has a kick, I get the feeling it is nothing like the Kennon 300 win mag I now have. I’m thinking my butt pad needs to be upgraded to something a little more modern.

godogs57

That is an awesome looking stock.

I like the butt pad on yours. I only have one other bolt action, a Remington 700 PSS .308. While it has a kick, I get the feeling it is nothing like the Kennon 300 win mag I now have. I’m thinking my butt pad needs to be upgraded to something a little more modern.

yep, I refinished the stock and while I was at it, I replaced the 1970’s era recoil pad that was kinda stiff, inflexible. It is a Pachmyer Decelerator pad .

godogs57

Shot "Big John" yesterday, named after the man that have the rifle to me. 300 Win mag, 168 grain TTSX, 76 grains of RL-22. 0.633" 4 shot group @ 100. TC's stamping on the underside of the barrel indicate she was completed February 26, 1966, TC's rifle # 276, and has my friend John's initials on it. There is no indication of a Douglas match barrel (D**) so this was a plain Jane Douglas barrel. TC made his rifles almost exclusively with Douglas brand barrels.
GON, Big John.jpg
GON, Big John target.jpg

219Zip

Sir, Thank you for this guidance, much appreciated. And thx to all for various info on threads. Before I retired a ways back bought an interesting old customized Greifelt single shot in 219 Zipper Ackley Improved. The 28 degree shoulder determined in chamber cast. 24 inch heavy target barrel. Very beautiful unusual custom stock with fine checkering and artistic designs. Double set trigger. Your post just helped me date it to 1954 for “TCK”. It came with a box of old fashioned hand loading equipment; on one piece was written “TC Kennon”. There were various items for this 219, 219 Donaldson Wasp, and a 218 Bee. Google search got me to GON posts years ago. I just joined today owing to your helpful post and to say that I respect its heritage and have had a difficult restoration and renovation done to the old German Aydt style falling block type action by a gunsmith specialized in German guns. I will try to post some photos. Again, thx to all and be assured that in this home Mr. Kennon’s memory and work is respected.

Studawg170

Shot "Big John" yesterday, named after the man that have the rifle to me. 300 Win mag, 168 grain TTSX, 76 grains of RL-22. 0.633" 4 shot group @ 100. TC's stamping on the underside of the barrel indicate she was completed February 26, 1966, TC's rifle # 276, and has my friend John's initials on it. There is no indication of a Douglas match barrel (D**) so this was a plain Jane Douglas barrel. TC made his rifles almost exclusively with Douglas brand barrels.
View attachment 1010000
View attachment 1010001

I became a fan of his guns when I was in high school. I worked at the DeKalb Firing Range in Lithonia from 1984 to 1987. Coincidentally the Newton Deputy TC mentioned earlier in this thread was my boss.....Those are some fine shooting rifles for sure and part of Georgia gun history.