T.P.'s 6th annual food plot prep picture thread

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
LOL, options are sure limited!!!

Triple C

Called in hospice for a couple of my clover plots and the others are on life support. Prognosis not good. A trace of rain since August 22 has left things brown n crispy. Maybe the corn guys got it figured out. Keeping a positive attitude as best I can, I bet the clover pops back out whenever we get decent rain. But as of right now, even the native forbs look to be on life support.

The thing that seems to be different with this drought has been the intense heat throughout the entire month of September and early October. Everything is in a state of stress.

Canuck5

You are right about the intense heat, man!!!! Nothing stands a chance. But we will get rain, eventually .... I'm sure of that!

nrh0011

Got this one last weekend. It’s right at an acre. Broadcasted oats and cereal rye and drug them in about 1-2” deep. Came back and broadcasted the leftover oats, crimson clover, daikon radish and t raptor brassica then cultipacked it in.

Attachments

• 5B988714-6DEE-4827-A74B-E57041F3687A.jpeg
    5B988714-6DEE-4827-A74B-E57041F3687A.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 55
  • F689D915-E7FE-44FB-A5D6-5A4312E7B021.jpeg
    F689D915-E7FE-44FB-A5D6-5A4312E7B021.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 56

Canuck5

FarmLogs said that I got 1.2" of rain yesterday, with a 50% potential of another 1.5" starting Saturday ....... I'll be planting on Thursday.

nrh0011

Another small plot in. We cleared this spot two years ago with a dozer, not much soil before you hit rock. Even after 2” of rain last night it was still dry enough to work. Tried a “scratch the surface” technique using a 3 point landscape rake then broad casted clover. Flipped the tines around then drug it in. Figured I’d experiment with this plot since you can’t work the ground much here.

Attachments

• 54C0A0BF-8C2D-48E2-B8A3-8FED40FD7EDD.jpeg
    54C0A0BF-8C2D-48E2-B8A3-8FED40FD7EDD.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 45
  • D7314DCD-E7E5-4BA7-B873-AF7DB5017E31.jpeg
    D7314DCD-E7E5-4BA7-B873-AF7DB5017E31.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 44

nrh0011

Got this one last weekend. It’s right at an acre. Broadcasted oats and cereal rye and drug them in about 1-2” deep. Came back and broadcasted the leftover oats, crimson clover, daikon radish and t raptor brassica then cultipacked it in.

This one is starting to come up pretty good. Pic is from opposite end of plot in the op.

Attachments

• 50 plot.jpg
    50 plot.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 50 plot 2.jpg
    50 plot 2.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 36

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I just no tilled in 8 acres of Attain tetraploid rye grass at a rate of 18 pounds to the acre and wheat at 32 lbs per acre. It is really for my cows to have fresh graze in the early spring, but during deer season, we use the field as a deer food plot.

I was putting it in in mud on Saturday, got a drizzling Saturday afternoon, and a sprinkling Saturday night. I am hoping for a drenching rain Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday

the Attain is suppose to have a higher sugar content, longer growing period, and rebound better from grazing. We'll see.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Looks like my Balansa experiment might payoff. I planted this strip in an existing clover plot with no cover. I just disc'ed the dirt and spread the seed.

Balansa2mod.jpg

Balansamod.jpg

I did this plot in last year's Rackmaster as a cover and put Balansa down in the whole plot.

Balansa3mod.jpg

Now it's wait and see.

Canuck5

I think you might have enough rain for it, now, too! I think we've gotten 4.7" over the last 48 hours.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I think you might have enough rain for it, now, too! I think we've gotten 4.7" over the last 48 hours.

Can't wait to check my rain gauge when I get to camp tomorrow and compare it to what Farmlogs says I got. My last comparison Farmlogs was a little on the light side.

Kdog

My Durana is jumping in all but one plot. I have not checked my Balansa plots since last weekend, but they looked similar to yours when I did.

Canuck5

Well, my Bulldog 805 alfalfa planted on 11-18-19 and 8+" of rain is out of the ground. Not sure how much seed got pushed too deep, even thought I packed before and after, but I think I still have a good enough stand ...... we'll see. Some still trying to emerge.

Bulldog 805 planted 10-18-19.jpg

Canuck5

The Durana plots where I over seeded with a 1/2 rate of new Durana clover and wheat are doing pretty good. Didn't work up the ground. Not pretty plots, but hey ....

Bryans 11-2-19-1.jpgBryans 11-2-19.jpg

Canuck5

Interestingly, the Advantage ladino Clover seemed to come out of the drought, pretty well and pretty fast. Just an unscientific observation.

Big Sexy 11-1-19.jpgBig Sexy 11-1-19-1.jpg

Canuck5

My older perennial plots, with a mix of clover are coming back. I only over seeded with wheat and killed off the grass. Not a "pretty plot", but the young girls still enjoyed it and it didn't deter the deer.

Big Food Plot 11-1-19-5.jpgCallie 11-1-19.jpgTaylor 11-1-19.jpg

Canuck5

Another older Advantage Ladino Plot ..... looking pretty good, all things considered.

Big Food Plot 11-1-19-4.jpg

Canuck5

One of the areas I worked up and planted wheat, turnips, radishes and clover.

Big Food Plot 11-1-19-1.jpgBig Food Plot 11-1-19.jpg