Tagged out 2023 updates

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
First trip out
Walked into an area I scouted and seen more turkey sign than I have ever seen down here and I am out running trails 3-5 times a week and hike a lot. I knew this spot was going to be good.

Set up in a funnel with turkey sign. I got on the inside bend of a U turn in the logging cut so I had a FOV on all easy approaches. I glassed 2 jakes on another ridge about 2pm. A few hours I hear scratching. Get the gun oriented, 4 hens at 30 yards. No Tom followed. I hear a muffled gobble that I know is close about 7pm on the “back” side of a ridge with water,food and Roost trees. 8pm I watch a 5th hen fly to roost to my front and hear the original 4 fly up behind me. I sneak out at dark.

Second trip out
I sneak back into the U turn spot an hour before daylight and set up the decoys. I see a few hens fly down at daylight and hear two muffled gobbles. Nothing of note until 9am. At 9 am the 4 hens show up and no gobbler follows. No gobbling, wind has picked up. Time for a midday nap. Wake up at 1pm, scour the map, contemplate going home. I decide not to due to the amount of sign and knowing that gobbler is somewhere close. I look at the valley where he has gobbled from and it is the same area the hens went to so I figured that’s why he isnt gobbling.

I relocate to where I can hear down into that valley and watch a bench and logging road junction. About 345 pm it’s windy and I am questioning my life choices. I hear that same faint smokers cough gobble from before. I rip on my slate to get my sound to travel over the wind and he cuts me off. I wait 5 min and call again. He has cut the distance in half. I put my slate away and orient my gun.

I see him at 100 yards strutting. I give a faint yelp and he gobbles again. I shut up and started scratching in the leaves. He disappeared. I expect him to come along the easy avenue of approach. After 10 minutes I hear him walking behind me. Idk why he came that way because its thick brush. I reorient and ready the gun. He periscopes his head at 15 yards. Beads on his head, taking slack off the trigger but his head is shielded by brush and I think he will move an inch to give a clear hole. That inch never happens. Head ducks and he disappears when he realizes there is no hen.

Third trip out

I looked at how that bird has been traveling but there is no way to setup on the bench and logging road funnel without getting busted. The face if the hill orients east and no cover. So no shadows to hide. I packed in a blind and setup where I had a shot at 3 avenues of approach.

7 am hits and I hear faint smoker gobble 100 yards away and 2 more gobblers within 200. They created a feedback loop answering each other until 730 fly dow. They sound like they head towards water. I have the terrain advantage so I wait. 830 I hear muffled gobbles again so I start ripping on the slate, one answers about 100 yards away. While that bird is gobbling a silent bird slips out from thick cover but doesn’t give me a stationary shot before ghosting. I believe it’s the same bird that I had at 15. I kick myself for not making it happen. 5 minutes later I hear a gobble behind me and it’s close. I get my gun ready and let out a yelp. He hammers a double gobble at 50. I had setup to where any turkey that can see my location is also in range so they don’t hang up. He pokes his head up at 45 then turns sideways and walks parallel looking for the missing hen. He doesn’t like the scenario but slack is already taken up in the trigger and 2.5 oz of tss flattens the bird.

I see two other hunters on my pack out and it’s time to head to a new location 80 miles away.

Fourth trip out

I head to a new area where I heard birds during a March scouting trip. The birds were in a saddle between two large mountains during my scout. I started The hike in at 530 AM. Get to the saddle at 630 and find a good spot to sit. I could hear down both sides and see for miles. I check my watch at 7, hoping for gobbling. Not a peep and even with cold weather gear it’s cold. I hate being there so I assume a turkey would also. 8 am nothing. 830 scout the saddle and lower bench. Zero fresh sign. Wind is ripping so I figured the birds went to lower Elevations.

I had another area on the map marked so I drove half an hour to a new spot. Ran into two hunters at a pull off who told me they heard a shot and seen two hens. I show them on the map where I am going to deconflict. I hike around the private and setup overwatching a bottom out of the wind and a saddle. Hunt there 1030-12 Before pulling out. Zero fresh sign Anywhere. I Look at fields with protection from the wind on the map and plotted a route. I drove from field to field until 3pm glassing for birds. Spot one hen hunkered in brush and nothing else. All the pull offs that were full in the AM were all now empty.

Basically writing the day off as a loss I buy some fried chicken and head to another field. I see two dots 750 yards out. Pull out the optics. Two long beards down out of the wind. It’s 330 pm now And I go knock on doors to try and get access. A sweet old lady said she didn’t mind, but I’d have to ask her husband and he says no. I figured it was a wash at this point but he slips and says there is government behind his place. I thought this was weird since I hadn’t seen it. It’s now 4pm and I’m losing time till roost, I had to cut my conversation short and get a plan together. I change my map layer and no **** there is public where he said it was. I park where the map says it starts and I see a NF sign. We’re in business now but it’s a mile hike up over a ridge to get above the birds before they head up to roost.

I hike in around behind the private and get to the finger ridge leading to where the birds were last spotted. There is an old cut on a bench above then so I gambled that they would hit that spot on their way back to roost. I had barely got situated at 520pm and a hen hops up onto the old logging cut. My cover was awful and she spots me immediately. As soon as she went over the bank putting I grabbed my gear and moved further up into brush and laid on my back to break up my outline. 545 pm I see another hen 100 yards to my right In the cut. I know there has to be a gobbler somewhere with this kind of activity. 6pm I hear scratching down the mountain . I get my gun oriented and I see two longbeards 80 yards away feeding up the ridge with another hen. I don’t call since they are already going to where I want them. They continue to feed up the ridge and step into the old road. I have to wait to get a clear shot due to the brush I put between myself and the birds for cover . Once they got Clear of the brush I waited until they got far enough apart to not kill two. As soon as one broke to my right to head uphill, safety off and slack in trigger was taken up and another payload was enroute. Ended my fourth outing hearing precisely zero gobbles, seeing more hunters than turkeys and getting wind burn on my face.

Attachments

• 20220410_105740.jpg
    20220410_105740.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20220410-184103_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-184103_Gallery.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20220410-184022_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-184022_Gallery.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 92

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Well earned awesome season , congrats !

Pilgrim

Thanks for taking us with you- great job on the write up!!

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
Update for my annual trip to hunt turkeys in the south. This is to remind everyone that Yankees are the superior public land turkey killers.

First trip to NF. High wind, gobbler sounded off at daylight and then nothing. Barometer was low and dropping. Very little sign, but the mountains have tons of benches through the vertical development for them to hide. That evening climbed to the peak to listen for miles and get cell coverage. Fresh sign on the top but no gobblers heard. on the drive in I marked spots where I saw birds from the blacktop. While up top I found a large chunk of public 3 miles from the sightings.

day 2. Spent the morning posting at the mouth of several drainages and didnt hear a peep. Mid morning I call an audible and drive an hour west to the area where I saw birds.

Wind is ripping, barometric pressure is still low. Hike into a ridge a hour from camp with a wide top covered in old growth oaks. This ridge leads to a large pasture field on private. This ridge on NF looks like a hog lot with scratching and nobody seems to have been hunting. Sit for a few hours getting beat by the wind. I decide to hike down the ridge to find a spot out of the wind. The area out of the wind is a secondary growth forest. Scratching everywhere still. As I am easing into the protected side of the ridge I hear coons fighting. I thought that’s odd, then I realized it was toms fighting and one hammered. I had zero cover and they were inside of 75 yards.

I threw my pack down and got into the prone behind it. Let out some yelps and got cut off. Let out a few more and he hammers close. A head periscopes down my gun barrel at 40. Sent a 2.5 oz load of tss and he does a backflip. First trip into a new area and luck strikes. 10 inch beard/ kamikazee 2 year old.

day 3 was another day of low pressure and high winds. Covered about 30 miles on road and foot trying to strike or glass a bird up. Found tons of hunting pressure and zero fresh sign And no turkey sightings.

Day 4. This is the day we have been waiting for. Cold, zero wind, good barometric pressure. I hike into a small tract of NF that is overlooked near camp. At daybreak I hear 4 gobblers hammering while I am committing a mountain house exorcism. The closest sound like two together. Best part is I shot a tom on the exact same bench 3 years ago and already know the tree I want to get to. I don’t make any hen calls. Find the tree. They are hammering inside of a 100 on the roost. I pull out my slate and start yelping. Before I am even finished I hear wings flapping and two thuds just out of sight. I wait a few minutes and orient my gun. I hit the cane call, gobbler answers. They gobble once more without calling. I call again and I hear footsteps. Two Tom’s are running down the bench right at me. I wait until one breaks off for a clear shot. one breaks to my left and shot him on the move at 35 yards. His buddy flew off the mountain much more educated. I walk up and for a second I panicked. This turkey is tiny and I thought I somehow mistaken a hen for a Tom. Roll the bird over and confirm the red head and beard that I saw. 11.5 inch beard, inch spurs, but had a small jake like head and couldn’t have broke 15 lbs. weirdest turkey that I have ever seen.

After I shot a gobbler across the valley kept hammering so I got to pack out the smallest mountain bird I have ever got while listing to one gobble. Probably some of the worst conditions combined with best luck I have ever experienced with a turkey hunt.

5353328D-9091-4098-9134-0B957A804F27.jpeg
B42765DB-C352-4866-9E52-00728970549E.jpeg

59CB79D9-9BC3-4CEC-8A6B-A93F227566D1.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo Woohoo! Great read @Hoosier06 ! Hopefully this yankee learned a thing or two from your story! Way to get it done and thanks for sharing! Congrats on a great season……and a strange bird :rockon:

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
Well, luck is striking like crazy this spring. I'm in my current "home" state that will not be named. I missed the opener but had a camera up on a 50 acre block of public that I found covered with birds back in Feb. There was a longbeard on my camera the Sunday evening on the opening weekend. No hunters photographed.

It's super hot but that pic let me know something was there. I hunted one afternoon in 85 degrees and high winds with zero luck. I came back a few days later and had another photo a gobbler and no hunters.

I went back in on a Fri morning that I had free. No gobbling at daylight. I sneak around calling along the edge of private and do a large loop around the 50-60 acre chunk of public. No turkey sightings and it's 2 hours after daylight. I decide to slip into the edge of the open river bottom. While working to the edge I hear a yelp. I scan a few minutes, nothing. Must be my imagination. I take a step and a gobbler flushed out of a tree. I think huh, why was he in the tree this late? I take another step and a 2nd tom flushes. WTH, they were right above me.

Feeling like an idiot I sit next to a tree 30 yards away and think about leaving. I figure might as well call. After a minute I see a turkey with red head come out of the brush to my left. It was a jake at 50 yards. I swing over and take what I can get. The beard is tiny but still a public land turkey.

The weather turns cold and still but I can't hunt Saturday due to kids practice. I am able to get out Sunday morning. 36 degrees, clear skies, 30 inches mercury, no wind. Perfect morning. No pictures of turkeys or hunters on the camera.

Daylight comes and two toms start cracking off 100 yards from me and in the exact spot I flushed them from previously. I setup and call, one answers. They stop answering my calls but they gobble hundreds of times for an hour into the day. I hear a hen yelp. She eventually goes to them. I hear them pitch down and gobble twice as they follow her away to the private fields. I have to leave at 9am for more dad things.

I get in the next evening at 330. Two hunters are on my camera from the previous evening. They leave relatively fast with no birds slung.

I loop around through the thick cover and setup close to where they roosted twice already. I pick a spot where I can see into the flood bottom but have cover. Whenever the wind dies down I call. This goes on until an hour before dark. I hear something behind me. Slowly turn, nothing. I start planning my path out. I hear something again. I slowly turn my head and there are two toms at 15 yards in the brush along a deer trail looking at me. I had good cover and make a move. As I'm swinging around to the lead bird, he ducks and turns away and runs. I get my bead on center of turkey and send a heavy load of tss through thin brush at a tom whose now 20 yards away. The bird rolls. Basically took the whole 2.5 oz of 8s in the back. Luckily minimal meat damage. Might lose one drum. These birds never gobbled on the ground at any point. 10 inch beard and sharp hooks. I highly doubt ill be able to do another trip anywhere this spring.20230424_184340.jpg20230421_140424.jpg

Latest posts