Taliaferro County 2022-2023

eavega

Figure I'd kick off a thread to share reports for this season. Rifle opener was last weekend. I only hunted on Saturday. Saturday AM light wind out of the Northeast. I had deer (small bucks and 4 or so does moving alone) walking around the stand beginning at about 8 AM until 10 AM. I was hunting on power lines, so I had about 400 Yards line of sight. with a creek bottom crossing the power lines. Left at 11 to get some lunch, and back in the stand at 2 PM. Nothing was moving in the mid-afternoon, but I had this guy come sneaking out of the woods on the north side of the powerlines walking south. He didn't seem to be cruising or chasing a doe, just out for a walk and probably looking for food. He was at about 125 yards and oblivious to my position as I had the wind completely in my favor. It was an easy shot except for the tall grass along the powerlines that he was emerging from that didn't let me see him clearly. I didn't want to wait for him to emerge completely because I was afraid he would spook and spin around. Took the shot and harvested a nice 9-point buck. 190 Lbs on the hoof. hocks were super stained, so assume we are getting close to the start of rut activities.PXL_20221022_193945354.MOTION-02.ORIGINAL.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Dang!
That's a MONSTER.

Congratulations

dawg

Awesome buck! Seeing a lot of activity on cams but only little ones in the daylight still. Going to hunt hard this weekend

Good luck everyone

eavega

Heading back to Sharon to hunt this weekend. Anyone seeing any movement? I went out beginning of last week, and saw very little movement but that was when it was still warm and humid. I've been seeing on other forums that around the state the Rut has blown up...