Tallapoosa River, tried to go canoeing, suspicious van followed us to the second spot.

Bill Canoe

My son and I tried to go canoeing on the Tallapoosa on Monday. We pulled into the Poplar St. launch, got out and went down to check out the river, walked back to the car to unload and a white van - (I think it was an 80s model Chevy) - with a bunch of paint gone from the hood and dark tinted windows pulled in in front of my car. We watched for a few minutes and the driver backed into a little spot which covered up most of the van. Couldn’t get a license number and didn’t know I’d need one.

We decided it was a little odd because he didn’t have a boat and didn’t get out of the van, but waited 10 or so minutes. Couldn’t tell if anyone else was in the van. It felt a little vulnerable, and at first we thought we had been watching too much Netflix, but we decided not to launch because if someone was planning to break into a car, it’d be the perfect time.

We went to the Broad St. launch, parked and went down to check out the river. It looked pretty good. Walked back to the car to unload, and the same van was pulling in. He followed us! So this time we didn’t wait around, just left.

We still wanted to put the canoe in some water and found Goodwin Lake on a map. Couldn’t find it with the Waze app though, so we just gave up. Once we got back to Broad St. again on our way out of town, the same van was pulling into Riverside Estates trailer park next to the river.

Nothing happened, but I called the Haralson County sherrif’s office because it was just too weird. (“If you see something, say something” they always say.) The deputy told me we did the right thing and they had had “a lot of trouble around there.”

It was a shame though because the river looked beautiful and it was my third attempt. Next time , we may use Lazy River Outfitters, and get a shuttle.

Jethro Bodean

One possibility is the one you suspected - a crook.

Another possibility is that the guy was doing some gay trolling. I see that often at parks around water. It's creepy knowing that some dude is checking you out. I even had one on the Chattahoocheee start chatting with me about fishing, then he came out and solicited me quite directly. He backed off real quick because of the look on my face and what I said. He didn't act feminine or like a sissy at all. Rather, like a tough construction worker.

It's best to be armed. At all times.

Bill Canoe

Another possibility is that the guy was doing some gay trolling. I see that often at parks around water. It's creepy knowing that some dude is checking you out. I even had one on the Chattahoocheee start chatting with me about fishing, then he came out and solicited me quite directly. He backed off real quick because of the look on my face and what I said. He didn't act feminine or like a sissy at all. Rather, like a tough construction worker.

I’ve seen that too. Not likely in this case since it was a father. - son outing. And he followed us.

OwlRNothing

Yeah, these days with the perverts having convinced almost everyone that right is wrong and wrong is right - I wouldn't put anything past 'em. #welcometo2020

ryork

I live in that area and hate that happened to you. A lot of folks have put a lot of effort into that canoe trail. I will say though there are a lot of folks around there unfortunately that are trustees of modern chemistry. I’ve had people walk out from under the bridge on me at both the Poplar and Broad St launches, the one at Broad was clearly living there. I highly recommend Lazy River, they do a great job. The launch at the water plant on HWY 100 is right at the plant and intake so generally always people around. The river gets surpisingly busy during the summer and I’ve never heard of any serious crime, litering which is serious in its own right. Glad you reported it, and sad that it’s come to this, but I’m armed wherever I go anymore.

ryork

And btw.... I think Goodwin Lake is entirely private. A couple of options in that area are the VFW Lake or Lake Seabreeze which is on HWY 120 just East of the intersection with HWY 27 and Tally Valley Park or Howland Park (the one with the jets and tanks) on HWY 78 just east of Tallapoosa.

hopper

Hmmm that has never happened to me. Guess I just ain't perty enuff ??

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Man that’s too bad. I’m always armed. Stuff like this is why. You never know who you will run up on out there. And it’s best not to go out there alone. That’s a problem that I have. My two main hunting and fishing buddies aren’t always able to go. One lives in Atlanta and we get together as often as we can but a lot of times we just can’t. The other one lives closer to here but he’s divorced and has his daughter every other weekend. So I’m out there by myself a lot. Never a problem on my own land of course but when I’m on public land you just do t ever know. In the Marine Corps they didn’t want us going anywhere alone. I’ll have to figure something out. I was fishing for shoal bass on the river where it comes through Big Lazer Creek WMA on Friday of Memorial Day weekend. Hard to explain but I got a real strong feeling that something was wrong and that I needed to get out of there. I learned a long time ago to listen to my gut and I left. I was by myself. I’m not a guy that anybody would look at and think “I think I’ll try him.” but when you’re by yourself you’re just an easier target. The fact that they followed you around is weird.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
What a shame that you have to be scared to leave your vehicle, people sux,,,,

My truck has been broken into twice in my life. Both times were at boat ramps while night fishin.

BigBass123

My truck has been broken into twice in my life. Both times were at boat ramps while night fishin.

The only time I’ve had my truck broken into was while camping/fishing.

For anyone that’s ever looked into peacock bass fishing, there’s a lake in Miami called the Blue Lagoon that’s supposed to have great fishing for them. Folks that guide on the lake say to just leave your windows rolled down so people can rummage through your vehicle without having to break your windows.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
The only time I’ve had my truck broken into was while camping/fishing.

For anyone that’s ever looked into peacock bass fishing, there’s a lake in Miami called the Blue Lagoon that’s supposed to have great fishing for them. Folks that guide on the lake say to just leave your windows rolled down so people can rummage through your vehicle without having to break your windows.

That’s funny you say that. My truck was broken into in college. Pulled the boat home, taped a trash bag over the broken window and told my buddy at least someone won’t have to break the window to get in it tonight. The next morning my truck was at the bottom of the hill plowed into the apartment complex dumpster. I reckon when there was nothing to take they pulled the e brake, shifted her into neutral and steered it down the hill into the dumpster.

BDD

that's when you open carry, walk over to him knock on the window and ask hows the
fishing been lately, what are the biteing on ? You live around here ?