Target Shooting Help...

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Have a friend I took shooting this weekend. She's right handed, right eye dominant, and wears contacts....left eye is a distance contact, right eye is a reading/close up. She complained her sight picture was fuzzy (using the right eye with the up-close contact).

Anyone have any suggestions, short of taking out the contacts and wearing glasses?

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Is this iron sights or a scope? There is usually a ring on the end Of the scope separate from the magnification. To adjust the clarity. There may also be a parralax adjustment on there as well for distance

killerv

as a contact wearer...I do waaaayyy better with my glasses on when shooting, scoped or iron sights. It is what it is.

frankwright

Sights or scope? Rifle or handgun?
I can probably give some suggestions if I have a little more information!

TAS

Get some daily lenses for the right eye with her distance RX. Use it to shoot and use over the counter readers. For everything else she can remain the way she is.

dwhee87

Is this iron sights or a scope? There is usually a ring on the end Of the scope separate from the magnification. To adjust the clarity. There may also be a parralax adjustment on there as well for distance
Iron sights...pistols. Sorry...should've included that in the OP.

bullgator

Reactions: Dub

BriarPatch99

The human eye finds ....that it is not possible to focus on three objects at differing distances at the same time ... The rear sight, the front sight and the target.....

So you have to chose which of the two is more in focus... I usually pick the rear and front sight and allow the target to go slightly blurry...

We talking pistol shooting ....

I should have more clear ....the main focus is the front sight ... Second is the rear sight( it will not be in perfect focus ...but certainly more than the target)

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
if you aren't focused on the target... how you going to hit it...

https://dailycaller.com/2014/08/25/massad-ayoob-5-lost-secrets-of-combat-handgunnery/

"The most precise, almost surgical, accuracy comes when the eye focuses on the front sight, with the rear sight in secondary focus and target in tertiary focus."
"The phrase “watch your front sight” doesn’t mean just have it in your field of view. It doesn’t mean just be aware of it. It means focus on it as hard as possible, making sure it’s on target, and that it’s not moving off target as you stroke the trigger."

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Draw, try to find front sight, try to find end of barrel, look around there for a while for the front sight, squint, squint harder, find something that might be the front sight, put what might be the top of it on the fuzzy target and hope the rear sight is somewhere nearby. Squeeze, get nervous that the target might not be the right one. Let up. Make gun safe and go look for glasses that are on top of your head.

Rinse and repeat, frequently.

K80Shooter

Seems everyone has a solution without 1st finding out what she was shooting. Most could be applied but if she's right eye dominate and has the right eye contacts for close up that's just not going to work. Not sure why the Dr did that unless she wanted it that way.

No matter what she's shooting she should be using shooting glasses for protection. These can be gotten with a prescription with the right eye for distance. Until she gets this corrected there is no good solution. She also could try shooting without contacts but it seems from your post that she does not want to do this. She could also get contacts without the close up option just for shooting. Get this corrected then start with the basics of shooting.

I happen to know a Decot Hy-Wyd dealer if you need help. PM me for more info.

rosewood

Odd to make the dominant eye the reading eye. Personally, I think she needs to talk that over with her eye Dr and swap the left eye to be the reading eye and dominant eye for distance. If she ever carries a weapon for self defense, that contact set up is going to be an issue.

Rosewood

dwhee87

Odd to make the dominant eye the reading eye. Personally, I think she needs to talk that over with her eye Dr and swap the left eye to be the reading eye and dominant eye for distance. If she ever carries a weapon for self defense, that contact set up is going to be an issue.

Rosewood

That's exactly her concern, Rosewood. She wants to get comfortable enough to carry. I'll suggest swapping the contacts and see what she and her eye doc say.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

Rosewood
That's exactly her concern, Rosewood. She wants to get comfortable enough to carry. I'll suggest swapping the contacts and see what she and her eye doc say.

I have been all thru this, and these two posts are probably the best answer...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I'm a dummy on this eye sight subject, but wouldnt swapping contacts only work if both eyes had the same vision?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Correct.

Unless both eyes are the same, both will need a new RX...They are talking about swapping the correction for distance to the dominant eye. She's crossed up right now...

In fact, a quick check to see if this will work is have her sight the gun on the other side, and see if it improves her sight picture.

I never could stand the one for close and one for distance approach, just didn't work for me.

Also tried the multifocal lenses, no go.

So I just corrected for distance, and use dollar store readers.

Irons on a rifle are becoming hard to use, but I can still get by ok on a handgun at defense range out to 25 yds or so.

Getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative...;)