Tarpon on the Georgia Coast

dang

DANG !!!
Never been down to the Georgia coast. I’m almost exclusively a freshwater live bait fisherman. I’d like to take a trip down to somewhere between savannah and st simons for shark and tarpon. I’ve got a 19 foot bay boat with a spot lock trolling motor and access to all the gear to do this kind of fishing. Question is - can anyone detail out for me a series of steps one would take to try and be successful? What bait (my plan was to net menhaden) what areas do you start your bait search in and at what time, or is that even relavent? Once you have bait, what areas do you start your searches in and what time of day or does the bite relate more to the tide? Sound, pass, offshore? Do you look for certain things to tell you you should stop and try an area? Do you anchor and put out a spread, or drift? Any safety considerations that should be taken into account? Any specific rigs I should be preparing? I’ve seen folks fish live baits under big floats? I know that’s a lot of questions but I’m just trying to give an idea of the things I’m wrestling through in my head at the moment.

Last thing - please don’t post up the names of local fishing spots on this public forum as that is really not the intent of me getting on here and asking these questions.

RHFisherman

Fish what the Ocean gives you for bait. Finding bait is easiest at low tide, I like planning my trips for those days where low tide and sunrise coincide. Any bait will do so start near the docks in the creeks. Menhaden are always easy to find in the Sound for me, but I don't really like them for bait. They are terrible to keep alive in the live well, whereas finger mullet and shrimp will live all day. If I do get Menhaden I usually just put them in a 5 gal bucket on ice so they don't muck up my bait cooler. Worst case scenario, if it is low tide, you can always look for some crabs on the exposed sand bars. Fish for some smaller (1'-3') fish first. Then start cutting up the smaller ones for the bigger ones. I take 3 hook sizes out with me 13/0, 6/0, 3/0 all 3xstrong circle hooks. Single strand wire leader material (69#) for any fish under 5' and a heavier wire (195#) for anything over 5'. The blacktips will spin and jump more than tarpon so you have to use a mono or flouro leader. If you go from wire leader to barrel swivel to braid their skin will cut straight through braid with direct contact. So my setup is...hook to wire leader (2-3') w/haywire twist to barrel swivel to mono leader (8-12') to braid. I tie each leader as I use them and each is usually only good for a single fish over 10' or maybe two in the 6' range. Single strand wire leader is what I use and is a higher quality for lower cost than store bought leaders. Master the haywire twist and you'll boat more fish. I'll add an egg sinker weight with a plastic bead to protect the knot from mono to barrel on the smaller setup to help it find the bottom. No weight for the big set up. The weight of the swivel, leader, and 13/0 are enough, not to mention the giant chunk of cut bait. A tip on the hook, after you get 1-2 big ones boat side, bend the barbs down on your hooks. You won't lose a noticeable amount comparative to the barbed version but it will be night and day difference when trying to dehook a P'ssd off monster that is in the process of headbutting your boat. I'll pick up my smaller fish in the 4'-20' depths. Then move to 20'-40ish feet when I start to target sharks in the 6'-12' range. If you anchor you will bear the weight of the fish, if you cut loose and float with the water the fish will bear the weight of you.

Goodluck

RootConservative

I recommend going further South June, July, August when the bait is running off the coast of Florida you can catch monster Tarpon, Snook, Redfish, and Shark, if you want more info PM me, but your boat is perfect. Go at high tide!

cuda67bnl

I’d like to take a trip down to somewhere between savannah and st simons for shark and tarpon.

When do you want to go? I chase sharks out of Darien. I’m always looking for someone to go with me. I’m certainly not a pro, but I catch sharks every time I go. If you want to split a trip down for a few days, I’ll show you how I do it. I’ve got a 19’ center console and everything needed. I’ll send ya a pm…..

cuda67bnl

We went down for a couple of days the end of last week. There was tarpon and sturgeon breaching everywhere in Doboy Sound on Thursday. We fished from 3 miles offshore, to the back of Doboy Sound. We caught a bunch of good blacktips, 3 five or six foot lemon sharks, a small bull shark, couple of big rays, and multiple dink sharks. I’m already wanting to go back. The next 2 months will be awesome for sharks.

Robust Redhorse

Try trolling plugs with 6 foot, 100 lb. test mono leaders for tarpon.

Bomber Long A's and Yo-Zuri Mag Minnows have worked for me. Change the hooks to strong single hooks that will still let the lures swim correctly.

(I have nightmares about being foul-hooked by a big treble and spending eternity being drug up and down the coast by a 200-pound tarpon!)