TBG Dates for Chickasawhatchee hunt

EJC

Trying to find out info on the chickasawhatchee dates, vacation picks coming up soon. Always wanted to make this hunt but couldn’t for one reason or another.

bronco611

is chickasawhatchee wma open to hunt after the hurricane? I heard it took one heck of a beating and most areas are heavily damaged? I also want to make this hunt again, was a lot of fun when I was there before.

sawtooth

I haven't been down there since the hurricane, so I don't know the answer to that question. We (TBG) are planning on holding the Southern Zone Hunt there the weekend of January 19TH. I plan to be there midweek through Sunday---- Should be a great time, It always is. Please make plans to attend**** feel free to direct any questions you may have to myself or any of our officers and members***
We will camp at the Mud Creek campground unless something unforeseen causes that to change. look for updates here..........

sawtooth

Ok people! I have spoken with several good sources concerning the condition of the Chick.....Initial reports aren't favorable. I will know for sure this Saturday- yea, or nay- whether or not we can effectively hunt this place. The TBG southern zone hunt WILL HAPPEN- the big question right now is WHERE---- to our members-- I am all ears-- and open to suggestions should the CHick not work out. D.

Reactions: EJC

bronco611

there is a trad group having a hunt at horsecreek the weekend prior to this, you could contact Martin Hubbard for info.

sawtooth

THat was funny- and irrelevant...

*******UPDATE********- Chris Harper did a thorough recon of Chickasawhatchee WMA yesterday and determined that it was in very bad shape. So after some consideration we've decided to have the Southern Zone TBG Hunt elsewhere---- THe new location will be at Fort Stewart military installation in Hinesville GA> the The date for the hunt will stay the same(JAn 18-20).
There is a fee for licenses- CHeck the website.
There is primitive camping available- At Holbrook campground- I encourage people to call first-- space is limited. This should be a great time- I hope to see everyone there- please contact me with any questions you may have.

Rich Kaminski

I hunted the first rifle hunt at Chickasawhatchee and the place is devastated. Trees down everywhere and snapped off half way up.Swamp trees were mostly uprooted and so many trees down you can't get around in the swamp. Very few deer were taken by the 2nd day only 14 deer were taken from the section where we camped. Usually over 125 deer are taken on this hunt. It will take decades for this WMA to recover unless the downed trees are removed or piled up and burned.

Red Arrow

Archery Hunters
All archery hunters must successfully complete a qualification session which are now available by appointment only, contact the Pass and Permit Office at Fort Stewart (912 -435-8061) or the Skeet Range at HAAF (912-315-9354). Shooters must hit 2 out of 3 arrows in the target at both 20 and 30 yards. A $5 processing fee will be charged.

https://stewarthunter.armymwr.com/programs/hunting-and-fishing

I had heard there was a change to archery qualification at Ft Stewart, but this was the info I found on the website.... Does anybody know for sure?

dutchman

Archery Hunters
All archery hunters must successfully complete a qualification session which are now available by appointment only, contact the Pass and Permit Office at Fort Stewart (912 -435-8061) or the Skeet Range at HAAF (912-315-9354). Shooters must hit 2 out of 3 arrows in the target at both 20 and 30 yards. A $5 processing fee will be charged.

https://stewarthunter.armymwr.com/programs/hunting-and-fishing

I had heard there was a change to archery qualification at Ft Stewart, but this was the info I found on the website.... Does anybody know for sure?

I called the post Pass and Permit office yesterday and asked the question. I was told that the qualification process is no longer required.

Dennis

Probably good idea to move it to FS I was at the Chick the last few days it's pretty tore up LOT of the big trees in the bottoms are on the ground making it real tough to get around if not impossible. Several of the roads were closed for flooding but there is still game there and now they have even more places to hide.

Buck E.

Who all is planning on camping ? I was looking for a headcount and was going to request the back area with trees and reserve it. I know some are doing the motel thing but i will be camping. Probably coming down thursday am, maybe wed pm.