Team 12 “Gobble Stoppers”

Swamprat

Swamprat
Me as well....850 268 2938

Best of luck to all...bad thing is my opening is next weekend down here and can't enter anything.

Last edited:

Bubba_1122

Hey, guys:

Sent y'all a text few minutes ago (hope y'all do the texting thing).

Hope both of y'all have a great season with lots of bonus points. Looking forward to being on the team with you. Let's make it a great year and the Challenge a fun experience.

I hope I can contribute to the team. I've got a mature jake I've been watching and thinking maybe he'll mature a bit over the next few weeks. :D

Bubba T

Swamprat

Swamprat
I got one place where the birds have just went ghost on me. Only a few hundred acres so no worries yet,

Will know tomorrow if I can pick up another 90 acres 1 1/2 miles from the house. Heard 2 firing off this morning on it...swamp bottom that meets a ag field.

Might sound like a different approach but instead of finding a huge tract I just approach local landowners with tracts that I have either seen or heard birds on. As little as 30 acres to around 240 all within 3 miles of my house. Generally once one landowner hears another neighbor is letting me hunt they have know problem with it.

Got one I am just paying in a few ribeyes (240 acres) to another who has 80 acres and am paying him 1.25 per acre (100 bucks). Working good so far.
Have told all that I will only harvest one bird off their property even though some of these birds might travel across 4 properties I have permission for along with several I don't and with a 2 bird limit down here no worries about me wiping out the population.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Bubba...still have not received your text and now I see why...it is 850 260 2938. I fat fingered the thing. Same for you brlewis if you texted wrong number.

Maybe you all got some hottie to respond.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Kmac....sent you a PM, we are now gonna be "Gobbler Stoppers"

Swamprat

Swamprat
Thanks

Bubba_1122

So I'm all ready for turkey season except for two small things.

Need my gun (barrel of 28 gauge is at Sumtoy getting a choke - hope it makes it back before the season).

Also need some turkeys. Place I hunt has a pretty signficant turkey deficit.

Other than those two minor items everything primed and ready to go (actually going coastal next weekend to try and get a redfish fix so can be focused on turkeys for the next couple of months).

Swamprat

Swamprat
Good luck with the reds.

Going up to GA next weekend for a little scouting. Turkeys around the house are not in one area long. To quick of a greenup so they are no in pastures as usual with the winter wheat, etc.

Far as I can tell place in GA is holding steady with birds and down here in FL they are on increase. Lot of jakes from last hatch, few mature gobblers but that ratio ought to start flipping after this year.

Last edited:

Swamprat

Swamprat
Yeah, we have been quiet for a few days but all them great serial killers have been the quiet type.

You all are fixing to be choking in our gun powder residue.

Swamprat

Swamprat
"I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. It smells like....victory"

Get use to it from us, wife gave me permission to borrow three extra shells from the neighbor. Not sure what I am gonna do if I have to use one of em. Bang out the primer and fill it with gravel?

Swamprat

Swamprat
How come our team name is not in bold letters....no matter we will fly under the radar for the win.

Bubba_1122

Ain't don't much about turkey's this weekend. Been catching trout fishes at the coast (reds weren't cooperative). Had a really good time.

Got back this evening and been cleaning up boat and fishing stuff and making bullets. No clue what gun i'm gonna shoot opening weekend, and ain't caring too much as long as I'm out there and have something to shoot. Whatever it is I'll have bullets (I'm guessing I'll be shooting the light recoil 20's).

Attachments

• Bullets 2019.jpg
    Bullets 2019.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 8

Swamprat

Swamprat
Looks like you are ready.

Went to our place in GA yesterday to do some looking. Long story but the next property over where I saw ol "Thunder Lips" pitch down 4-5 times 75 yards off ours got burned and they cut a fire break right under the pine he roosted in. No sign of him anywhere on that side. Afraid the neighbors pushed him elsewhere.

He had the perfect spot to roost....huge gallberry thicket to the East and behind him and nothing but 40 acres of clear cut from January of 2018 in front. Bird never had to face the sun looking for danger. Who knows in a week or so he could be back.

Left one this morning down in FL in a river bottom due to church...not great bird weather. He gobbled twice on the roost maybe 300 yards from me. Thought I heard him pitch down....could have been hens closer to me. 20 minutes after I thought he pitched I yelped once, he gobbled but still sounded far. Waited another 15 or so and yelped/putted with nothing. Sat for a few more looking at clock for me to get with close to a mile walk out Got all my stuff together, sling gun over my shoulder and take two steps and he gobbled on his own.

Was a tough decision but had to leave him, If the wife was in the right mood she would understand but you never know. When he gobbled on his own he was still aways out....be like a 2-4 hour bird that gets to you eventually.. Open river bottom you can close the gap some but can't be to aggressive.

Bubba_1122

I ain't really got a clue where any birds are. Had some at one place earlier this week, but seem to have been taken up by a UFO or something.

Headed to hunting club in the morning. Just gonna blindly head into the swamp bottoms and see what happens.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Birds have went missing around here as well.

Be heading down to Port Orange this afternoon, got accountant appointment at 10 tomorrow but gonna hit a WMA briefly in hopes an Osceola will cooperate quick. Be heading in blind since I haven't hunted this tract in about 20 years.