Team 5 "Waddle Whackers"

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I've played a couple yrs and we always entered the first 8 mature gobblers we killed , I'd rather enter them and have our 6 , than not get our limit , but it's up to y'all , we can go for broke and only enter bonus birds , I'm fairly confident I'll get my 3 , but I'm not holding out for no bonus bird , the first 3 mature birds I get an opportunity at get shot ! And for some reason I can't see your photos

antharper

Staff member
Never mind I see photos now , congrats!!!!

Bubba_1122

I've played a couple yrs and we always entered the first 8 mature gobblers we killed , I'd rather enter them and have our 6 , than not get our limit , but it's up to y'all , we can go for broke and only enter bonus birds , I'm fairly confident I'll get my 3 , but I'm not holding out for no bonus bird , the first 3 mature birds I get an opportunity at get shot ! And for some reason I can't see your photos

Makes sense to me ("a bird in the hand is worth 3 in the bush" mentality - literally).

Triggerfinger, if you're on board with that thinking I'll post em up tomorrow.

Triggerfinger_4

Makes sense to me ("a bird in the hand is worth 3 in the bush" mentality - literally).

Triggerfinger, if you're on board with that thinking I'll post em up tomorrow.

By all means post em' up! Too much turkey killin took place not to.:cool:
If you gents don't mind I'd like to pm my number. Now that the season is underway I'd like to be able to update a little faster in the case of bird killing. I know I'm going to need some help making sure I have the correct pictures (when the time comes)

Bubba_1122

Alright guys - they're posted.

Should be 11 points (10"+ beard on bird 2).

Thanks,kmckinnie. Definitely a fun day.

Bubba_1122

Was supposed to be going coastal this afternoon. Plan was to be snatching on the lips of reds n trouts in the morning.

An ill relative in the hospital set that back (hoping we get to go tomorrow afternoon (mostly cause hope they're doing better)).

Have rest of the week off from work.

Have had that swamp bird that was taunting me all Saturday morning on my mind. Also saw another gobbler in the field when I was headed out.

Think I'll go out to Soggy Bottom and see if can catch up with the swamp gobbler (or something significant). If not, well - a bad day in the turkey woods beats a good day....almost anywhere.

Gonna take video camera. Have never tried to video before (did video first bird Saturday on phone but not much to it (not exactly HD or nothing like that)).

Last edited:

Bubba_1122

Skipped yesterday because of the weather and had somewhere I had to be at 9:30.

Went this morning for a couple of hours before SS/church.

I've heard birds every time I've been hunting this year. Beautiful morning, but heard exactly zero today. No gobblers. No hens. Exactly zero.

antharper

Staff member
Alright trigger it's about time for us to help Bubba out !

Triggerfinger_4

That's right. He's carrying is so far. Wasn't able to go today so Tomorrow will be the first time I've gotten in the woods the last 7 days. Time to wack some waddles

Bubba_1122

Stopped by hunting club this afternoon for just a minute on way into town.

Saw 2 gobblers out in fields around 4:00. Seeing them birds really got me re-fired up.

Usually hunt some in the afternoons, but really haven't this year. Hoping to get out there some this week. Will definitely hunt this weekend (would love to kill a bird by Friday and make it to the coast on Saturday before the redfish limit goes back to 1). :bounce:

Bubba_1122

Usually hunt some in the afternoons, but really haven't this year. Hoping to get out there some this week.
Hunted this morning. Had a gobbler pop out of the woods at about 90 yards. Never came any closer. Stayed on edge of field for about 10 minutes and went back in woods.Moved further and further away.

Think jake and hen decoy might have worked against me.

Went this afternoon. No birds. I think it was 93. Way hot.

antharper

Staff member
I hunted this morning and didn't hear a bird til I got 1 to gobble at a crow call at 845 , and after setting up on him and getting him fired up , the field filled up with gobblers, had 4 that gobbled good for about an hr , had 2 to get 60 yds or so but decided not to shoot, gonna get em in the morning I hope !!!

Bubba_1122

Frustrating couple of days.

Had a bird hang up at about 80-90 yards yesterday on edge of a small field. Went back into the woods (thinking he didn't like my jake deke. Left him in the truck this morning).

Heard a lot of different birds this morning. One very close before fly down. That one flew other way and was gone (though had a bird gobble at about 9:15 from where he went - sounded like was coming to visit. Gobbled twice and just went quiet - never came in).

Did have something crazy happen. I was in a pop up blind most of the morning. Was pretty close to nodding off when a bird flew into the blind. For just a second had a hard time finding it's way out. Not sure who startled who the most. Pretty much a "change britches" moment.

Anyway, none of the big birds wanted to play, even though they were talking early.

I'll be back out there in the morning before church trying to finish it up.

Last edited:

Bubba_1122

Frustrating couple of days.
Frustrating last 3 days.

Out there again this morning before church. Almost went according to script - but didn't.

Re-learned a lesson I've been learning for the past 6 years.

Turkeys are killed with patience.

I wasn't today and it cost me an opportunity after one heck ova fun but grueling hunt.

Been after a particular bird for few hunts. He showed me up this morning (yep - I watched him after flydown cross the logging road I was sitting on (about 80 yards away) with 2 hens. Then I worked my way to the edge of a field and watched them go out into the field, and watched him have his way with his ladies (our of range of course). Big ol bird. Heck ova beard.).

I tried to push the issue. Bad move.

I'll be back after him mid-week...

antharper

Staff member
Well I had an awesome hunt this morning, with the end result that bad sickening feeling, I had a bird I've been after for the last few times I've been hunting, took me til 10:45 and he popped up at 20yds , he caught me moving my gun about 3 in. , and it was over , maybe he will give me another chance !