Telecheck Results 2021 *updated 5/17* Final Numbers

DRBugman85

That indicates an overall turkey population of roughly 120,000. Not the 300,000 - 400,000 number that is being thrown around. Kentucky reports 300,000 - 400,000 birds and the total harvest is just shy of 30,000. Tennessee reports 300,000 and has a total harvest of over 30,000. Both of those states have shorter turkey seasons as well. It just shows how mismanaged the turkey population in our state has been.
That is if (ALL TURKEYS HARVESTED) GOT checked in.... And I will bet 1/2 that many more gobblers were NOT reported.....

DRBugman85

Then theoretically those states should have 2x the population that GA has, just like goblr77 said.
Well I'm not a Turkey biologists and I live in GEORGIA so if they say so I guess it's so. I just KNOW that a LOT of gobblers do NOT get checked in GEORGIA.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
So next year when hunters go 0 for 2 instead of 0 for 3 and do it in a shorter amount of time, will that make the numbers look better?
Why yes, yes it will.......they gonna need a new algorithm (y)

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Then theoretically those states should have 2x the population that GA has, just like goblr77 said.
I visit Tennessee, sometimes not during turkey season and I also hunt for turkey in Tennessee during spring turkey season and I will agree with the statement that they could have twice as many birds as us round about. But that would only be a guess through observation in East Tenn vs North Georgia.
I also observe resident spring turkey hunting participants taking off LIKE A ROCKET in the past couple years in East Tenn.
It will be interesting if the growth of spring hunting pressure turns East Tenn into a similar turkey situation as Ga, or if it doesn't affect their population of turkey

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I visit Tennessee, sometimes not during turkey season and I also hunt for turkey in Tennessee during spring turkey season and I will agree with the statement that they could have twice as many birds as us round about. But that would only be a guess through observation in East Tenn vs North Georgia.
I also observe resident spring turkey hunting participants taking off LIKE A ROCKET in the past couple years in East Tenn.
It will be interesting if the growth of spring hunting pressure turns East Tenn into a similar turkey situation as Ga, or if it doesn't affect their population of turkey
I think with a couple good hatches with the weather we are having the biologist will be geniuses and we’ll all have plenty of turkeys !