Tenderizer

deersled

What's your secret to tenderizing venison? I've tried several different things and have concluded..the only way to tenderize a steak is to pound the elmo out of it prior to cooking. What do you think?

Hunter Haven

I myself love to use lots of black pepper to tenderize. It seems to do a great job on lots of different meats.

Minner

There's several ways to "tenderize" venison. Part of it is in how you cook it. I can take the toughest, stringiest piece of venison and make good, tender BBQ out of it. The key is to cook it long and slow. I have a big roasting pan like you'd use for Thanksgiving turkeys to cook in. I put my roasts or whatever in it, cover w/ water and put it on about 200 degrees for at least 10-12 hours. I promise you it will fall apart after cooking like this. Works equally well in a crockpot on low.

Another secret, and I hate to give this out 'cause it's top secret :D , is to soak the roast in Coke (not any "cola", but the real, honest-to-goodness Coca-Cola) and/or cook it in Coke. The acids in the Coke will begin to break down the meat thus tenderizing it.

We did an experiment WAY back in elementary school where we took a thick steak and poured a 12 oz. can of Coke over it and left it there for the next day. When we came to school the next day, it was amazing to see how the Coke had broken down the fibers in the meat and basically made it fall apart.

bull0ne

Banned
Minner said:
There's several ways to "tenderize" venison. Part of it is in how you cook it. I can take the toughest, stringiest piece of venison and make good, tender BBQ out of it. The key is to cook it long and slow. I have a big roasting pan like you'd use for Thanksgiving turkeys to cook in. I put my roasts or whatever in it, cover w/ water and put it on about 200 degrees for at least 10-12 hours. I promise you it will fall apart after cooking like this. Works equally well in a crockpot on low.

Another secret, and I hate to give this out 'cause it's top secret :D , is to soak the roast in Coke (not any "cola", but the real, honest-to-goodness Coca-Cola) and/or cook it in Coke. The acids in the Coke will begin to break down the meat thus tenderizing it.

We did an experiment WAY back in elementary school where we took a thick steak and poured a 12 oz. can of Coke over it and left it there for the next day. When we came to school the next day, it was amazing to see how the Coke had broken down the fibers in the meat and basically made it fall apart.

Are you psychic???

Exactly what i do :huh: mighty good advice :clap:

teethdoc

Minner said:

Coke works like a champ at tenderizing meat! Also try pineapple juice. The acids break down the meat similar to Coke. It taste like teryaki.