Tennessee: no length limit on black bass.

OwlRNothing

researching for the move, I have discovered in the TN regs that there is no length limit on black bass species. 5 a day, any species limit - but I guess you can keep and eat all the 10-12 inch bass you like ( within that daily limit ) TN Fishing Regs

I'm all for that since a 10 inch bass is about as tasty as you can get. Everyone talks about how good walleye is though and I'm eager to find some of those and do a comparison as well.

I guess TN has more bass than they need?

lampern

Tennessee has a number of lakes with size limits on bass EXCEPT spotted bass

OwlRNothing

Now lampern, I even posted a link. I'm pretty sure you know I was talking about state wide regulations and not special cases. lol You remind me of me, 20 years ago. No offense.

oldfella1962

researching for the move, I have discovered in the TN regs that there is no length limit on black bass species. 5 a day, any species limit - but I guess you can keep and eat all the 10-12 inch bass you like ( within that daily limit ) TN Fishing Regs

I'm all for that since a 10 inch bass is about as tasty as you can get. Everyone talks about how good walleye is though and I'm eager to find some of those and do a comparison as well.

I guess TN has more bass than they need?
other than the lakes listed with special limits, Tennessee not having a minimum size limit on bass is pretty rare. Every state I fished/lived had a size limit on bass, generally 12" but that varied. If they didn't have a limit some people would keep every bass they caught - 6" or so, it wouldn't matter. Some people keep them that small despite it being against the rules.

lampern

Now lampern, I even posted a link. I'm pretty sure you know I was talking about state wide regulations and not special cases. lol You remind me of me, 20 years ago. No offense.

That link seems to include virtually every major lake in the state though

I'm not seeing any large lakes without size limits

OwlRNothing

You mean this page: Exceptions to Statewide Regulations
I see lots of rivers with exceptions, but not all the exceptions listed are for bass. Many are for musky, walleye or crappie.
Every major lake? In terms of restrictions on bass species -
Watts Bar isn't there.
Percy Priest isn't there.
Tellico isn't there.
Old Hickory isn't there.
Cherokee lake isn't there.
Douglas isn't there.
Norris isn't there.
Chickamauga isn't there.
Kentucky Lake isn't there.

These are the biggest lakes in TN my friend.
Some of these are mentioned, but careful reading shows most only a couple to have slot limits and most are mentioned for other species or in relation to rivers that flow into or out of them. I really didn't have the intention of making this into a big deal or anything. It seems that some rivers do have exceptions to the state-wide non-length limit thing, but in general it looks like a majority of public water just has a bag limit of 5 on them. Or - maybe I am reading it wrong? Either way, that's all I have to say on it. smh

lampern

klerchkatcher

other than the lakes listed with special limits, Tennessee not having a minimum size limit on bass is pretty rare. Every state I fished/lived had a size limit on bass, generally 12" but that varied. If they didn't have a limit some people would keep every bass they caught - 6" or so, it wouldn't matter. Some people keep them that small despite it being against the rules.
Lake Oconee had a 11 to 14 inch slot limit for years. The fish within the slot had to be released. The reason according to the biologist was a large number of stunted 8 inch male bass. The state encouraged fisherman to keep those smaller bass. i don't believe many fisherman kept the smaller bass.

Big7

The Oracle
I'll trade you spotted bass for crappie, pound for pound.
Not me.
Rather have any kind of bass all day long.
Crappie ain't firm enough and not much good unless you get them straight out of the grease.

Don't get me wrong.
I'll hammer Crappie

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Have you tried them side by side? I mainly crappie fish, love to catch them and crappie taste great. But a spotted bass taste nothing like a largemouth bass. Spots in the 1 1/2 lb to 2 1/2 range are delicious.
I agree , and eat both at the same time often . Both are delicious , but I’ll take the crappie