Tennessee Preliminarily Detects Chronic Wasting Disease; Enacts CWD Response Plan

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Friday, December 14, 2018 | 08:17pm
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) is enacting the Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Response plan, following a preliminary positive detection of CWD in white-tailed deer in Hardeman and Fayette counties. The response plan involves a coordinated effort between TWRA, Tennessee Department of Agriculture, and other partners.
Seven deer in Fayette County and three in Hardeman County have preliminarily tested positive for CWD. Additional samples are being tested and the TWRA is actively trying to contact the hunters who harvested these deer.
“Once arrangements are made, TWRA will be encouraging hunters harvesting deer in these areas to submit their deer for testing,” said Chuck Yoest, TWRA CWD Coordinator.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/news/2018/1...asting-disease--enacts-cwd-response-plan.html

175rltw

BANNED
Other than expanding baiting statewide- I wonder WhT the GA DNR has planned? Only way we won’t find it here in the next 2-3 years is by not testing carcasses.

Last edited:

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Other than expanding baiting statewide- I wonder WhT the GA DNR has planned? Only way we won’t find it here in the next 2-3 years is by not testing carcasses.

Ga DNR didn’t expand baiting state wide.

ProAngler

I really wish they would ban anything that has been shown a probability to spread the disease. I don’t have all the facts but I believe deer urine is possible vector. Seems like the potential Negative of brining in CWD is so much worse than the tiny benefit you get from hunting with it, why not just ban it just in case?

buckpasser

It’s everywhere already. Just a matter of time now before it’s confirmed in your woods. I’m not sure the buzzards aren’t carrying it all over the place at this point. Should have stopped the pen operations years ago to have any chance of slowing this thing down.

ProAngler

Sometimes I wonder if it has always been around, we just test for it now. It was discovered in a pen raised situation, but it was probably wild before that. Not sure how much prion testing was done on dead deer before it’s discovry. Probably none.

rusted44

Sometimes I wonder if it has always been around, we just test for it now. It was discovered in a pen raised situation, but it was probably wild before that. Not sure how much prion testing was done on dead deer before it’s discovry. Probably none.

This. People knock the deer farmers but the do actually study and research them to grow healthier. Not commenting on the hunting aspect of them but you can bet that with it impacting their pockets they care for the animal. Think about pig and cow farmers when a disease cuts through there farm. Should those farms be banned? Diseases are out there. Always have been and always will be. The human race is a great example.

buckpasser

This. People knock the deer farmers but the do actually study and research them to grow healthier. Not commenting on the hunting aspect of them but you can bet that with it impacting their pockets they care for the animal. Think about pig and cow farmers when a disease cuts through there farm. Should those farms be banned? Diseases are out there. Always have been and always will be. The human race is a great example.

Deer farms serve almost no purpose. There are only a very few beneficiaries and consumers of their product. Hogs, cows, chickens, dairy farms, and even goats are vastly more important. We know this disease is spread through deer farms and the risk vs reward looks something like the North America vs a grain of sand. Most deer farms bring CWD on themselves by making stupid and illegal decisions to add to their herd from somewhere else. It’s a sneaky disease and the average deer farmer is not going to do it on purpose, but they do it, so ban them all and be done with it.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Deer farms serve almost no purpose. There are only a very few beneficiaries and consumers of their product. Hogs, cows, chickens, dairy farms, and even goats are vastly more important. We know this disease is spread through deer farms and the risk vs reward looks something like the North America vs a grain of sand. Most deer farms bring CWD on themselves by making stupid and illegal decisions to add to their herd from somewhere else. It’s a sneaky disease and the average deer farmer is not going to do it on purpose, but they do it, so ban them all and be done with it.
Where do you gets your "facts" from? I would be interested in reading about them.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It's gonna be so cool when CWD finally gets here to Georgia.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Joe Brandon

I've heard this on here for years. Every year in fact. Now some of you are gonna point to corn as the means in which Georgia FINALLY LEARNS ITS LESSON lol. Sounds a little bit Obamaish to me...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I've heard this on here for years. Every year in fact. Now some of you are gonna point to corn as the means in which Georgia FINALLY LEARNS ITS LESSON lol. Sounds a little bit Obamaish to me...

It gets here on a truck. It spreads via bait.:wink:

175rltw

BANNED

Didn’t know Obama had any position on wildlife management issues- I just assumed he viewed wildlife management as a gun lobby argument and that wildlife management issues would go away with firearms.