Tent Camping

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Some ladies do enjoy tent camping... I remember being 8 mo. pregnant and camping on the ground with a sleeping bag, not even a tent, and it was 28 degrees outside that night. The next morning we went squirrel hunting, killed the first squirrel and my sister-in-law started crying, we couldn't kill anything else. I thought we would never hear the end of that "poor little squirrel". She didn't go camping or hunting with us again :bounce:

24tesla

Some ladies do enjoy tent camping... I remember being 8 mo. pregnant and camping on the ground with a sleeping bag, not even a tent, and it was 28 degrees outside that night. The next morning we went squirrel hunting, killed the first squirrel and my sister-in-law started crying, we couldn't kill anything else. I thought we would never hear the end of that "poor little squirrel". She didn't go camping or hunting with us again :bounce:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Been there done that. Have a few folks we left behind after their first trips camping......

Smackover

Tent Camping comforts

My brother in law has modified a one room a/c to keep his tent cool at night.

Sounds crazy but makes a difference in the
good old SEGA summer time.

BTW I am trying to figure out how to do this
to out tent. Can't seem to get comfortable pulling a boat and a camper.

Regards

Smackover

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Smackover, most of my camping is centered around fishing and I've found it difficult to pull a camper and a boat. Though I have seen it done, I'm just not that adventurous.

I've been looking at picking up a portable AC unit. Frye Electronics runs one for sell every now and then but I just haven't taken the plunge. I may remedy that before heading to Fort McCallister in October.

Here is a link to Consumer Reports article on portables:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/portable-air-conditioners/

DEERFU

I'm back to tent camping after several years of owning campers[from pop ups to a 35' fifth wheel]. Last weekend was awesome in the mountains with lows in the high 50's to low 60's. I have a nice air mattress but it's not as easy having to stand up in the mornings when you've got to go as it is rolling out of a queen size bed. Not complaining just got to get use to it again. I love it! Finally back to what camping is supposed to be [to me anyways].

sharon

This female LOVES tent campin'! We go about 4 times a year, mostly up in the Smokies. If we have to take something a little sturdier, due to weather..., we take my 3 horse trailer. It has a queen size bed in the gooseneck and we just throw the stove, lantern...in and off we go. Guess who's in charge of setting up our tent camp spot??? It's me - my husband says there's no one better at putting up the tarps "just right" and getting things ready, quick! We both LOVE IT, no matter what we're in, but we prefer the tent!! We also like the cots...never have been able to get those air mattresses just right!

GaSam

I have always been kindof a "purest" when it comes to camping. I have always loved camping, and even growing up at deer camp it was a tent, even in cold weather. When I got married, the wife even loved tent camping. We have spent about six summer vacations camping in a big canvas tent for a week at a time. Our two boys love it and we seem to be very comfortable and mostly dry. This year we spent ten days in the Adirondacks in NY, and bought an older popup for the trip. The popup was fun especially traveling over a long distance, but when we got to the mountains of NY we all wished we had been tent camping. The Adirondacks are beautiful. Not sure if we will keep the little popup or not, it is just hard to beat the canvas tent.
The boys are 12 and 15, getting excited about deer season, and we are already getting the tent ready for deer camp.

Georgiagator

I brought my tent at Target, they have little modles of the tents so you can see how they look set up Helped out alot when getting mine

whitworth

I always felt sort of sorry for those RV users

Couldn't get to many places to park the RV; had to put it in the sun alot to get electricity hookups; missed some nice camping spots.

Nothing finer than to backpack up in the mountains and find a nice solitary place to camp.

RV's are nice for camping out at a NASCAR race track. I never thought of going there with a tent.

Bodab1974

My wife and I both love to camp and we use tents.. my wife refers to RV camping as "sissy camping" LOL

Nothing better than waking up early morning with a frost on the ground and getting that first cup of perculated coffee and bacon off of the fire.

You lost most of the experience when you camp in an RV.. may as well stay home and drive to the zoo.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am reminded of a dear friend and co-worker who was a native of Water Valley, MS, who often spoke of his early memories of he, his Father, and Uncles traveling to a Mississippi River Swamp for a week of "squirrel camp".

This always amused me somewhat as I was accustomed to squirrel hunting in the local woodlot.

I couldn't imagine anyone getting worked up over planning a weeks stay at a squirrel camp. He lived and hunted in an area that had no deer or turkeys at that time, so they simply satisfied the urge to camp and hunt by taking it out on the squirrels.

I have enjoyed many occasions with this friend at a "deer camp". One thing that could always be relied upon, Wiley (now deceased) always brought his dutch oven and a 22 rifle. He could always be relied upon to make a squirrel stew that was out of this world and would more than satisfy the appetite of several hungry and tired hunters.

He had learned to make this stew while at the memoriable "Squirrel Camp". Have wished many times that I had obtained his recipe!! May Wiley's soul rest in peace.

rocinante

Took my two boys (9 and 12) tent camping at amicalola falls this last weekend. A good time was had by all WITHOUT the mama. We hiked, rode bikes, roasted hot dogs, told ghost stories, spied on pretty women with binoculars. Well I did the last one :) Came back home sufficiently grungy and happy. We used two 7x7 6 lb wenzel back pack tents. Me in one them sharing one. My ideal is to start full blown backpack hiking but this was a good first run reintroduction to camping for us. Those hills killed my booty bad and I was just carrying a 3 liter water pack and a fanny pack probably 5 lbs. Working on outfitting the perfect back pack set up and it is pushing 40 pounds. Something (like those 640 steps up the waterfall) tells me this old boy better get in better condition.

Rich Kaminski

We have a 20 ft by 7 ft tent for sleeping. We put three cots in it and one heating element on a 5 gal propane tank. It's plenty warm on real cold nights. Most of the time I just sleep on top of the sleeping bag. and it fits all our clothing and hunting weapons. We also have a good size cooking tent to keep the rain off of us on bad days.
Our camp site has an outhouse, but to electricity. A nice fire on a cold night is always enjoyable and goes great with the Molsens beer.

Oh heck yeah. That is the only camping I will even consider. And out by myself too. Me and the dog. T bone steaks on the grill for BOTH of us for dinner. A nice spot alongside a creek in the National Forest. Campgrounds are nuts to me. I want to get away from it all. Campgrounds are for sissyfied city folks. Why would you want to go and "get away from it all" only to be surrounded by one or two hundred other people? That's crazy talk.

Have a favorite secret spot within a two minute walking distance from an awesome, large waterfall with big wading pool at the bottom. Is Forest Service rd 27A off of Crow Creek road on the south side of Lake Seed in Rabun County between lakes Burton and Rabun....but I would have to kill you if I told you about it :fine:

i used to tent camp and then i bought a 30ft outback travel trailer. let me tell you its nice to come in from a long day hunting and get a hot shower and lay in the queen bed and watch some huntin videos on tv.

Lostoutlaw

i used to tent camp and then i bought a 30ft outback travel trailer. let me tell you its nice to come in from a long day hunting and get a hot shower and lay in the queen bed and watch some huntin videos on tv.

NAAAA nope not really