Texas-I just don't get it

oldfella1962

Everything is bigger in Texas, until you been to Alaska

HA! Lived in Alaska for about 18 months - it's like being in another country. The Siberian part of Russia would be a pretty good comparison.

I have drive across Texas a few times - it's very discouraging on a four day Georgia to Arizona trip and two of the days is just getting across Texas. :mad:

When I was stationed in Korea the first time I had a "special duty" riding around with Koreans packing up and shipping off household goods for soldiers moving back to the U.S. Some of the Koreans spoke English, and one of them asked me just how big the U.S. really was. I think he asked me how many countries like South Korea could fit into it. I started thinking about it but it was taking a while, so he said "how about just Texas?"

I told him about six or seven maybe. So he said "no, not how many in the United States, how many just in Texas?" When I told him I was talking about Texas he was amazed. He told his Korean buddy driving the truck what I told him and he was equally amazed. I wish I had a globe at the time so I could have showed them just how huge Texas was.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
HA! Lived in Alaska for about 18 months - it's like being in another country. The Siberian part of Russia would be a pretty good comparison.
I am very lucky to spend at least four weeks minimum in AK every summer. Been doing it for over ten years. I volunteer my time with disabled vets taking em fishin and whatnots. We had some guys from Texas up there and being regular Texans they where non stop “Texas is great Texas is best state. Everything is bigger in Texas”. That was the trip theme... so later, I sent them T Shirts that had a picture of TX superimposed on a picture of AK... on the bottom it says “everything is bigger in TX until you been to AK”. Big laughs
but it is so true.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I am very lucky to spend at least four weeks minimum in AK every summer. Been doing it for over ten years. I volunteer my time with disabled vets taking em fishin and whatnots. We had some guys from Texas up there and being regular Texans they where non stop “Texas is great Texas is best state. Everything is bigger in Texas”. That was the trip theme... so later, I sent them T Shirts that had a picture of TX superimposed on a picture of AK... on the bottom it says “everything is bigger in TX until you been to AK”. Big laughs
but it is so true.
Thanks.

SC Hunter

It truly amazes me that people are not in the least bit prepared for things to go bad and rely on others so much. We keep wood and just use it in the fire pit outside, extra gas on hand mainly for the mowes and such but works for the generators, canned goods, rice and coffee. MOST IMPORTANTLY I KEEP ENOUGH DISTILLED SPIRITS TO GET ME THROUGH THE HARD TIMES. :ROFLMAO: Its really sad that people have no ability to live on their own for even a short amount of time. A coleman stove and a few propane tanks would really help out with getting some food to eat for folks.

About 2 years ago I sent the oldest boy whose 13 now to get some deer meat out of the deep freezer for supper. He came back in and asked why all the sprite and milk was frozen. When I explained those 2 liter and gallon jugs are frozen water, he was so confused. I explained that if the power goes out for a few days those big blocks of ice won't melt as fast as other stuff and keep the food colder for longer. Once they melt down and everything goes to hades in a hand tote we will have plenty of water to drink for a while. I'll wipe out a squirrel population before I let my family go hungry.

Fletch_W

Banned
I think there's a second layer beyond people simply not being prepared.

This historic winter storm was hyped on all the news outlets and internets and radio for at least a week before it happened. Everyone was warned.

If this was some natural disaster that come from out of nowhere like an Earthquake or meteor strike, it would be easier to feel sorry for people.

I know there's exceptions- older folks and the like. But no able bodied citizen of the state of Texas (or Arkansas or Louisiana, et al) should have to be burning toys and paintings off the walls right now.

SC Hunter

This historic winter storm was hyped on all the news outlets and internets and radio for at least a week before it happened. Everyone was warned.

If this was some natural disaster that come from out of nowhere like an Earthquake or meteor strike, it would be easier to feel sorry for people.

I know there's exceptions- older folks and the like. But no able bodied citizen of the state of Texas (or Arkansas or Louisiana, et al) should have to be burning toys and paintings off the walls right now.
There are alot of people out there that have never killed and skinned an animal, fished and ate the fish or busted wood for a fire place or stove.

Oldstick

Not making light of this deadly disaster, but I agree with the OP about some of the over the top "news" coverage. Listen to them and Ted Cruze was supposed to have personally gone and winterized all the power plants, just in case the "warming" thing didn't work out and there was a sudden freeze. And Trump was supposed to have reminded Ted to do it, before vacating the White House.

Core Lokt

How do you know that Trump didn't remind him?

I think the LT Gov of Texas had a pretty dang good speech when being questioned by a GMA news guy yesterday.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Santa Ana invades now looking for work and benefits, and he's winning. He may have even won.:oops:

We'll have hispanic history month when the woke believe they are the new slaves working for less than a living wage, in a run down part of town, and treated badly.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
This deer wasn't saved.

deer water.png

Artfuldodger

We were warned in Augusta about our approaching ice storm in 2014. I still felt sorry for the folks that had no heat. Which reminds me, why doesn't everyone go ahead and plan for where they will spend eternity? Human nature I guess to wait until tomorrow.

After our storm was over the local Churches and organizations did get together to plan for future events since they saw a need of community support beyond depending on the government.

In other words the people taking care of the people more the way communities did in the olden days when there was no government to lean on.

oldfella1962

We were warned in Augusta about our approaching ice storm in 2014. I still felt sorry for the folks that had no heat. Which reminds me, why doesn't everyone go ahead and plan for where they will spend eternity? Human nature I guess to wait until tomorrow.

After our storm was over the local Churches and organizations did get together to plan for future events since they saw a need of community support beyond depending on the government.

In other words the people taking care of the people more the way communities did in the olden days when there was no government to lean on.

yeah that Augusta ice storm was insane. Way worse than the 10 inches of snow a couple of years prior to that.