Texas Outfitter/Ranch Recommendation

LonePine

Turning 40 this year and think I want to plan a Texas deer hunt for the fall. Have spent some time in TX for work and love the wide open country and lifestyle. The warmer weather has my sights on TX vs. the Midwest. Wanted to see if anyone could offer any recommendations on an outfitter or ranch they've had a good experience with. Not tied to a particular area so open to any of TX. Searched back through old threads and didn't find much info. Thanks in advance for the help

huntfish

First off, you need to refine what you are looking for, your expectations and your budget. If you are looking for trophy hunts (150#), you'll be looking primarily south in the brush land and sendero cuts. If you want to add exotics, you'll more than likely have to go to a high fenced outfit. Axis deer are also free ranging now and can be found throughout the hill country, and no tags. Hill Country will have lots of deer to look over too, but don't expect to see 150 class deer. They are there, but they didn't get that big being stupid. Wide open country will take you to the panhandle where you'll be overlooking crop fields and watching deer come out of river basins.

I would recommend looking at Texas Trophy Hunters page.

LonePine

Thanks for the info @huntfish. Still thinking through exactly what I'm looking for and the logistics of it. Not looking for a monster; just a quality buck in the 130-150" range. Hill Country is where I've spent most of my time in there but would like to see other parts of TX as well. I'll check out Texas Trophy Hunters for sure.

Guitar Guy

I’m almost 50 and decided that I’m going to treat myself to a guided axis deer hunt in Texas this summer - in large part because they have the reputation of being one of the most delicious game animals on the planet. They also can be hunted free range in Texas. Long story short, I ended up booking a trip with Texas Safaris based upon all of the feedback I was getting over at the Texas hunting forum. Other recommendations close behind would be Southern Outdoor Experience and West Texas Hunt Organization. Any of those outfitters would be solid bets.

http://www.texassafaris.net
https://www.soehunts.net
https://www.westtexashunt.com

Last edited:

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I’ve never been on a guided hunt but Ox Ranch seems like a paradise. Drive tanks, shoot cannons, NV hog hunts, dinosaur tracks, projectile points, good food. Not to mention hunting and fishing.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I’ve never been on a guided hunt but Ox Ranch seems like a paradise. Drive tanks, shoot cannons, NV hog hunts, dinosaur tracks, projectile points, good food. Not to mention hunting and fishing.

I’ve threatened several times to kill the cheapest animal on the menu safari style just so I could hang out for the next 2 1/2 days.

eavega

I have not been on a hunt there, but I did have the opportunity last year to go drive tanks and shoot different types of weapons (including a sherman tank main gun, a howitzer, a minigun and a flamethrower) . The place was completely awesome! We were a party of 12, and we all agreed that everything there was absolutely first rate; food, drink, and experiences. We drove around part of the property (the entire property is HUGE), and could not stop seeing everything from hogs and white tail deer, to tons of exotics like coues deer, fallow deer, water buffalo, giraffe, okapi, zebra. We had all kinds of critters even walking through the guest areas! Hunting wasn't cheap, but definitely not like anything I have ever seen. Like I said we didn't hunt, but there were a couple of hunters there on the two days we were there. Looked like everyone was successful on their hunts. I wouldn't hesitate to to jump at the opportunity to hunt Ox Ranch if I had the funds.

-E

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, if I had the money I'd be out there shooting blackbuck, nilgai, and axis deer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Guitar Guy

Don’t know the exact story behind that particular photo - but that’s what’s happening right now in Texas. Dead animals everywhere, particularly exotics.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I've hunted with him and a great guy. He has free range as well as high fence connections. He also guides in the bay for things that swim in water.

M.C.Outfitters

CaptMarcus Canalas on FB