Texas Swine Saloon Hog Trap?

Bear10

Has anyone used the Texas Swine Saloon Hog Trap? I was thinking about purchasing one but hoped to get some input before I purchased it. Unfortunately I can't afford a high dollar trap, but wanted a trap that has the ability to catch several hogs at one time.

Studies have shown that saloon and rooter doors are not effective.
Basically, while you might have a few that will root or push their way in most won't.
In effect this will matter if you are trying to capture entire sounders for the purpose of eradication.
Go to jagerpro and watch their videos to get a handle on catching all of them eradication type trapping vs catching a few for the freezer.
The real downside of rooter type doors isn't just missing a few hogs but the education of hogs creating hard or impossible to catch individuals.

At this time the best bang for the buck is the pig brig system.

Bear10

The Texas Swine Saloon trap doors work with a trip wire & will then let hogs push their way in after the initial release of the doors. I do like the Pig Brig trap too.

As of now, I only have a small group passing through my land, but I know that can change quickly.

Davexx1

The problem with trip wire type traps is that one hog can enter the trap and trip to the door to slam shut spooking any/all others outside of the trap. When the door slams shut, crashes closed, etc., it makes a lot of noise that spooks every critter within hearing distance. Any hog(s) that may have been outside of the trap when that noise and commotion commenced are instantly heading for the hills and its likely they will never go near another trap enclosure ever again.

Unintended catches are possible also. It is possible that a nervous deer, bear, turkey, coon etc. can enter and trip the trap door. Some of those can escape, some can't. Whatever trap you use, in this heat, check the trap every morning.

KILLNTM

I used the Hogslammer trap door a few years ago, and it worked great. I tied the doors open where the pigs could freely go in and out a few days prior to setting it. The night I had it set to go off only four or five out of the thirteen had gone in prior to it tripping and slamming shut. By morning all but one of the remaining pigs had found their way in by pushing through the saloon style doors. The slamming of the doors apparently didn't bother them a bit. My trail cam showed the 13th pig hanging out on the outside of the trap and eventually wandering off at daylight. I caught her in it a month later and so far no more pigs have blessed me with their presence. I was really surprised at how well it worked. I figured once those steel gates slammed shut it would be over as they do slam loudly.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I used the Hogslammer trap door a few years ago, and it worked great. I tied the doors open where the pigs could freely go in and out a few days prior to setting it. The night I had it set to go off only four or five out of the thirteen had gone in prior to it tripping and slamming shut. By morning all but one of the remaining pigs had found their way in by pushing through the saloon style doors. The slamming of the doors apparently didn't bother them a bit. My trail cam showed the 13th pig hanging out on the outside of the trap and eventually wandering off at daylight. I caught her in it a month later and so far no more pigs have blessed me with their presence. I was really surprised at how well it worked. I figured once those steel gates slammed shut it would be over as they do slam loudly.
I think some people give them more credit for being smart/ getting trap shy than they should . I’ve only ever trapped some for meat and before everyone hated them and it was against the law to release we use to catch the same ones multiple times . One time I caught a big dried up sow and released her and had her again the next morning . Maybe she was just hungry

Bear10

Howard Roark,

How long have you had your Pig Brig? A concern I have with it is how long it will last compared to a steel trap. It may outlast a steel trap, just need some info from owners.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Howard Roark,

How long have you had your Pig Brig? A concern I have with it is how long it will last compared to a steel trap. It may outlast a steel trap, just need some info from owners.
Our landowner has one. Less than a year. I talked with the owner of the company. Check the other thread. The company owner will call you.

Last edited: