The Alligator and the Hog

Donal

Hog fed the gator. I witnessed a white German Shepard in that situation once. The dog came to drink water and the gator was about two feet away from the bank. When the gator lunged, the dog jumped back and barely escaped. Hogs are not so nimble or quick to jump backwards.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
When I was a kid I had a friend who’s grandpa had a gator and a hog farm . He also had chicken houses and he would feed the dead chickens to the gators . I seen big sows take the chickens from grown gators .

Davexx1

In the first photo I thought the hog was dead meat, but the hog has already started to whirl and bolt. A huge wall of water is slung toward the camera as the gator propels himself and lunges toward the hog. In the second photo the hog is 10' away running at full speed. In the third photo, the emptyhanded gator is wondering where the hog went.

That location is a popular trail crossing for many of our game animals. The gator is an unwelcomed guest.

Attachments

• Mudhole.2.JPG
    Mudhole.2.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 269
  • Mudhole.3.JPG
    Mudhole.3.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 270

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
In the first photo I thought the hog was dead meat, but the hog has already started to whirl and bolt. A huge wall of water is slung toward the camera as the gator propels himself and lunges toward the hog. In the second photo the hog is 10' away running at full speed. In the third photo, the emptyhanded gator is wondering where the hog went.

That location is a popular trail crossing for many of our game animals. The gator is an unwelcomed guest.
That’s a cool sequence of pictures . Is that a hog trap behind the gator . If so I’m sure you could lure him in it ! ?

Geezer Ray

I accidently discovered how fast a hog can be many years ago in the dark. Never forget that or the smell afterwards. Thank goodness for spare drawers in the truck.

splatek

UAEC
Man, that's cool. Looks like the gator needs a pair of corrective lenses or something from the picture looks like he missed by a few feet to the right, but that could be camera tricks.
Really cool series of pictures.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I thought the hog got away simply because he seemed to be moving fast why the gator was not. Perspective can be off due to camera angle etc.

Big7

The Oracle
Cool. That looks like a good spot for animals to water and congregate.

six

Gator trap or Hog tap?