The animal or the experience...

What do you remember most about a past hunting trip?

• Animal taken

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Experience

Votes: 86 88.7%

• Total voters

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I don't tip toe through the lilies. I go camping, spend time with family, etc for the experience. Sure, I soak what I see while hunting.

Problem is.....a high percentage of you all sugar coat it. If you're not in it for the kill, then why keep going? You just won't admit it. LoL

I admit it. You try to pick at it.
Guess what.......I don't give a flying flip about your opinions.
I bet you're a load of fun dude ?. Probably a "deer only "hunter I hunt squirrels to enjoy dog work. I hunt ducks to enjoy dog work. I hunt deer to enjoy the woods and kill big bucks. I hunt turkeys because IMO it's the greatest challenge in the southern woods. But I ain't scared to say I enjoy every bit of it.... Not just the kill

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I bet you're a load of fun dude ?. Probably a "deer only "hunter I hunt squirrels to enjoy dog work. I hunt ducks to enjoy dog work. I hunt deer to enjoy the woods and kill big bucks. I hunt turkeys because IMO it's the greatest challenge in the southern woods. But I ain't scared to say I enjoy every bit of it.... Not just the kill
My dad wouldn't hunt anything that dogs weren't involved in.

Todd E

I get that. I understand that. I respect that.

It just makes me laugh when I speak truth from my point of view and cannot be afforded the same respect. Nobody on this board has to agree with me on anything or vice versa. We should however, respect each other. I get to experience many amazing things as I am out in the outdoors. I soak em up.

It's clear, I think, why I am personally out here. And even right now, it isn't to smell the flowers, watch butterflies, or walk through spider webs. FB_IMG_1664144531942.jpg

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.

It just gets my goat when I speak truth from my point of view and cannot be afforded the same respect. Nobody on this board has to agree with me on anything or vice versa. We should however, respect each other. I get to experience many amazing things as I am out in the outdoors. I soak em up.

It's clear, I think, why I am personally out here. And even right now, it isn't to smell the flowers, watch butterflies, or walk through spider webs. View attachment 1178868
I get what you're saying. I think I'm just reading what you're saying wrong. You must enjoy hunting or you wouldn't do it. I am not a fan of the "I didn't see anything or kill anything, but it was a beautiful morning and thats good enough for me" kind of thing. I want to put game on the table. I'm a little ill after a bad hunt. Wife knows when the hunting sux haha. I used to be worse, but I try to swallow it a little bit

TurkeyDreamer

The question states “what do you remember most”…for me the thrill of the kill solidifies the memory. However, the entirety of the trip is the most enjoyable.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
So you don't enjoy it at all? There's no enjoying time in the stand it looking forward to that time? That's the "experience" part of hunting. Just to kill something huh? ..... You a bad dude ?
I envision a robot. (robot voice) "wake up.... Get dressed.... Go to woods.... Must go kill something....."
Sometimes I look forward to just going because between 230 pm and 430pm in the ole nanny doe stand……that is the BEST nap in the world on a cool afternoon with the sun hitting your back. Then about 5pm to dark when they graze through there……and sometimes tenderloins end up on the ground……because sometimes I just gotta kill something……..sometimes I just like to watch and learn behavior to see if it helps on future hunts. Never know what another deer is looking at or alerted to if you don’t just sit there and let it unfold.

But I’ve got to be very selective this year. Both of my freezers are slam full right now. We started having a fiesta every night to cook it up.

Tight Lines

I don't tip toe through the lilies. I go camping, spend time with family, etc for the experience. Sure, I soak what I see while hunting.

Problem is.....a high percentage of you all sugar coat it. If you're not in it for the kill, then why keep going? You just won't admit it. LoL

I admit it. You try to pick at it.
Guess what.......I don't give a flying flip about your opinions.
Like they say it's the journey, not the destination...I'm not sugar coating anything...I've spent many a day in the field just absorbing it all, and ultimately I'm there to bring home some game...

I love the packing, the planning, the travel, the hotels, the home cooked meals, the sights and sounds...yeah, if I was carrying a camera it wouldn't be hunting...

But getting blood on my hands isn't the measure of a good hunt, or a hunter...

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I enjoy every part of it. From cutting shooting lanes to mowing camp, plowing, planting, hunting, killing, eating and on and on..

Then again, I just like being outdoors. Some of you like to sit at home. And that's just weird to me. I spend half a year at my camp.

Tight Lines

It just makes me laugh when I speak truth from my point of view and cannot be afforded the same respect. Nobody on this board has to agree with me on anything or vice versa. We should however, respect each other. I get to experience many amazing things as I am out in the outdoors. I soak em up.

It's clear, I think, why I am personally out here. And even right now, it isn't to smell the flowers, watch butterflies, or walk through spider webs. View attachment 1178868
I like it when the bluebirds sit on my shoulders...and there is a rainbow over the plot...

ROFL.

I'm not judging you, you do you the way you want to...and I respect that.

Having hunted with a bunch of highly competitive type-As (not saying that's you) I could never understand why they were so mad when we didn't kill our limit or catch the most fish...I'm out there to get out of the house, the city...

You said if you are not killing, then why are you out there?

I say if you are not enjoying it and having fun, if it's just part of the rat race, then why are you out here?

Again, not directed at you, I respect everyone's right and approach to hunting, as long as it is ethical and legal...I just may not do it that way...

Tight Lines

I enjoy every part of it. From cutting shooting lanes to mowing camp, plowing, planting, hunting, killing, eating and on and on..

Then again, I just like being outdoors. Some of you like to sit at home. And that's just weird to me. I spend half a year at my camp.
Ditto. I don't spend that much time, but getting hot and dirty and working on the land is fun to me...

Hunted for many years shooting scrub bucks and does. Never about anything but meat and the hunt

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Do you plant food plots, hang stands fill feeders or do you just hunt other peoples stands? Do you do any prep work before the season?

Meat hunter here!

Mind you I have only been hunting deer for 3 years and I am 47 yo. I have to be honest, I have a hard time sitting still so sitting there doing nothing in a deer stand is hard for me. I try my best to enjoy the moment, slow my mind and it works sometimes. But it doesn't work all the time. It's a work in progress!

The experience of getting close and watching them and seeing if you are in right spot for a shot is just as exciting as the shot.
Love deer meat though too.
Love preseason watching them, feeding them, seeing them fight, running camera.
Some might think it’s stupid but our property, we kinda push if you shoot a buck mount it so memory of that awesome animal lives forever.

Todd E

I do NOT hunt other people's stands.

I am in the woods pretty much every day of the week. Especially every night from dark until midnight or 2am. Back up at 6am for work. While most are on the couch or in the bed......I'm still rolling.

Touche'