The Attire of An Harlot By Stacey Shiflett

Double Barrel BB

The Attire of An Harlot
By Stacey Shiflett

http://www.untold-millions.com/eng_article26.htm

Proverbs 7:10 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

In Proverbs 7, Solomon is warning his son about the dangers of sexual immorality. This wise and concerned father is telling his son that sin is all around, and that he must recognize it when he sees it.

One of the things he warned his son about was women dressed in the attire of an harlot. Strangely enough, it doesn't say she was a harlot, though it's obvious by her actions that she was. The interesting thing is she is described by her attire; her clothing.

One of the things that bother me as a preacher is the fact that many times I get accused of being judgmental and casting judgment on people without really knowing them or knowing all the facts. Here we see Solomon, undoubtedly the wisest man that ever lived, is judging a woman by her clothing, by looking out of his window in the dark of night! Furthermore, he's teaching his son to judge them by their clothing!

In my effort to convey the truth without giving anybody a reason to judge me for judging others, I'm going to do something that is perfectly fair and sensible. Instead of trying to figure out what this harlot was wearing, I'm going to turn it around. We are going to play a game of elimination in order to show what a good, godly woman should wear. The way we will do this is simple. We will try to determine what the harlot in Proverbs 7 WAS NOT wearing!

I know, many will say that I have no idea what I am talking about because we don't know for sure what harlots wore in those days. That's fine. I agree. That's why I'm going to make an application to the day and age in which we live and make this modern and practical. Everybody agrees I'm sure that the Word of God applies today, and that it's teachings and warnings should be heeded. So in saying that, let's make a couple of safe assumptions.

Assumption 1: We have harlots today.
Assumption 2: Harlots wear clothes.
Assumption 3: Harlots wear wrong clothes.
Assumption 4: Christians should not.​

How are we doing so far? In order to accurately judge what a godly, Christian woman should wear, let's examine Scripture. As I'm sure you do, I believe the Bible is the Final Authority for ALL matters of faith and practice. (That would even include our wardrobe.)

So, what did that harlot in Proverbs 7 have on? One thing we know she wasn't wearing. She wasn't wearing clothing that was modest. We can safely assume that. You see, harlotry has often been called the oldest profession in the world. That may very well be true. It certainly is not new.

Women thousands of years ago learned one simple fact. Men are affected by what they see. Men respond to what they see. The Bible has a lot to say about men's eyes. Notice this verse. Proverbs 27:20 "he11 and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied."

What about this one? Matthew 5:28 "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

So you see, men are affected by what they see. Now, according to Proverbs 7:7, this young man was clearly not the sharpest kid on the block. It says: "And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding." But one thing about this guy was working perfectly normal. His eyes were fine.

Modest clothing is commanded in the word of God for godly, Christian women. It says: 1 Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety;..." Needless to say, the harlot in Proverbs 7 DID NOT have on modest apparel. She was dressed in a way that even in the dark of night (Bible says in the preceding verse: "In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night: ), she could be seen and seduce this young man.

We don't know what she was wearing, but we do know what she wasn't wearing! She wasn't wearing modest apparel.

What is modest apparel? Does anybody know? Are there any clues? Absolutely! The Greek word for 'modest apparel' in this verse is katastole (pronounced kat-as-tol-ay’). It means: a lowering, letting down; a garment let down, dress, attire – Bible Greek Lexicon

Now I don't profess to be a Greek scholar, or even a Bible scholar for that matter. However, I think it's pretty clear what women are supposed to wear according to these verses; long, loose, modest dresses.

You might say, well, how long is long? Who's to say something is long or short? That's an excellent point. That's why we must refer to our Bible for that answer. Let's see what God says.

Isaiah 47:1-3 "Come down, and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, ... O daughter of the Chaldeans: for thou shalt no more be called tender and delicate. ... uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers. Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man."

We can see from these verses that God considers a woman uncovering her leg or her thigh to be 'nakedness'. I think we must agree that God's description of 'modest apparel' in the Bible would have to mean that whatever it is a woman wears, it must be long and cover her legs.

Having said that, we can safely conclude that the harlot in Proverbs 7 did not have on a long skirt or a long, loose flowing dress. As we said earlier, we cannot conceive the fact that if she did, Solomon would have described her as a woman dressed in the attire of an harlot.

One thing is very clear to me, as a man and as a preacher of the Gospel. Too many women and girls today are wearing the attire of an harlot. They are dressing themselves in a fashion that causes men to lust after them. They dress in a way that draws attention to their bodies. God is not pleased with that!

Dear sister in the Lord, do yourself a favor. Drive through the streets of your city late at night and look at the women standing on the street corners. Look at what they are wearing. Look at how they dress themselves. Notice what they picked out while they were shopping for clothing. Notice what they knew lustful, wicked men would be attracted to. Observe what they realized would appeal to their wicked, sinful desires. Their wardrobe includes shorts, mini-skirts, low blouses, sleeveless shirts, tight clothing, blue jeans, pants and other sinful attire. Nothing godly.

Now go home, look in your closet. What do you see? Do you see anything that even closely resembles what those women were wearing? Do you have clothing in your house that reveals your legs? Do you have skirts or dresses that are not long enough to fit the description of modest apparel? Do you by any chance have any clothing that would be too tight, too see-through, too clingy, too masculine to be worn by a godly, chaste, virtuous lady?

If so, you need to throw it out. You need to ask God to forgive you for wearing the attire of an harlot. You need to realize the awfulness of allowing the unbelievers and Hollywood and the harlots and lesbians of this world to influence your wardrobe.

Is your clothing modest? Is it feminine? Is it ladylike? Is it loose, flowing, and long? Is it a dress? God forbid that any born-again lady dress herself in the attire of an harlot.

PWalls

That guys a nut job!:crazy:

Really? You don't think that a woman in a miniskirt and low cut blouse is inviting the looks that she gets or the thoughts that she incites? The Bible clearly says that looking at a woman with lust is a sin. The woman who dresses in such a way to entice that lustful look is clearly culpable of that sin as well. Look at some outfits that are worn in churches nowadays. I think he has hit the nail on the head.

GeauxLSU

Though I agree with what he's trying to say in general, the 'logical conclusions' he attempts to use are anything but. That, I'm afraid, is the kind of thing that just sends the non believer running the other direction. :(

SBG

That, I'm afraid, is the kind of thing that just sends the non believer running the other direction. :(

The admonition to live holy tends to do that to some folks.:)

GeauxLSU

The admonition to live holy tends to do that to some folks.:)
That actually would be a good thread. Admonishing believers vs. non believers.....

FYI, as I'm sure you might suspect, I firmly agree with conservative dress. But the article acts like he's trying to logically prove some specifics by making LEAPS using scripture that simply are that, leaps, at best.

PWalls

That actually would be a good thread. Admonishing believers vs. non believers.....

FYI, as I'm sure you might suspect, I firmly agree with conservative dress. But the article acts like he's trying to logically prove some specifics by making LEAPS using scripture that simply are that, leaps, at best.

I agree with your premise. However, the fact that he is having to make some leaps as you put it instead of us being able to apply common sense is what is sad. There isn't a woman out there today (raised in a normal household I think) that shouldn't know what a man is thinking when she dresses the way she does. That is invitation pure and simple.

GeauxLSU

I agree with your premise. However, the fact that he is having to make some leaps as you put it instead of us being able to apply common sense is what is sad. There isn't a woman out there today (raised in a normal household I think) that shouldn't know what a man is thinking when she dresses the way she does. That is invitation pure and simple.
Of course it's an invitation. It's also interesting to note how 'offended' some get when they get the stares they are after in the first place. :rolleyes: Of course that applies to ANY sort of outlandish dress.
I would be interested in what the pastor thinks would be appropriate swim/beach wear for a woman.
I guess the 1920s would be out.
BathingSuit1920s.jpg

Perhaps the 1850s? Though I think the top is a little too form fitting. :huh:
Bathing_suit_1858.png

Here's my problem, culpable or not, at some point, it's not the woman's fault, it's the MAN's! I realize everybody's 'line' is different but presumably we all realize the Taliban forbid women from wearing "shoes that make noise for it might tempt a man". So he has used scripture, to justify to him, I presume, something that sounds VERY similar to extremist Muslim views.

PWalls

I am in no way implying that the man is not at fault for the lust that he feels/displays towards a woman. I agree that the sin is on the man. However, our soceity has made it easier and easier for that sin to be spread. A woman should realize that she has some accountability as well.

GeauxLSU

our soceity has made it easier and easier for that sin to be spread.
True and I can't think of any sin where that doesn't apply.
Problem is WE are "our society". We've allowed ourselves to be steamrolled toward a Godless society.

Dixie Dawg

Well now y'all have me curious... those of you that agree with this article (which I first thought by the author's name that it was written by a woman), do your wives and daughters only wear long skirts? No slacks, jeans, etc.?

And Phil, thank you for so eloquently pointing out the obvious... even with all of the 'guidelines' offered in the article regarding what is modest and what is not, modesty is in the eye of the beholder.

matthewsman

That's standards preaching......

In my opinion,you may as well bring back the law.....The Muslim comparison made by Phil is not that far fetched....

Many times in a church that holds these standards,men dress in "business casual'or formally with a suit and tie...The women, on the other hand, are dressed like pilgrims.The slits in a skirt or dress have to be "lined"(a piece of cloth sewn into the splits)To be on the "platform",many churches require the women's hair to be up,un braided,and not cut......They draw also on the principles of Biblical "harlots"braiding gold ribbons and such into their hair to justify this...... They may not wear pants,no matter how unflattering,but must wear dresses...they quote scriptures of men not wearing that that pertains to a woman,nor women that which pertains to a man...It is alright for a woman to wear her husbands flannel shirt with a long jeans skirt,but it is not alright for a husband to wear his wifes skirt with his shirt.....:rofl:

There are many more "standards"taught by churches such as these,such as no TV,no secular sounding or contemperary Christian music,of course no smoking,drinking at all,no facial hair on men and hair cut above the collar..For women they are not allowed to cut their hair either..How long is long?That question was asked earlier regarding dresses.It is often asked about womens hair too..The common answer from the pulpit is"As long as you keep the scissors out of it"...

These people are steadfast in holding to their standards and are willing to allow a new convert some slack regarding standards,but if they do not assume them,or get convicted to change on their own they are considered spiritually retarded or insensitive to the spirit.

Generally the "Jesus name"only apostolics(UPC) and some independants follow this standard,along with some other "fundemental"Full Gospel"type churches....

I think it is a form of spirtual bondage akin to the dispensation of the Law,that denies the grace obtained by Christ........

There will be those on this board that know I know what I am talking about,and accuse me of ignorance,but the teaching of "Standards"and the idea that "speaking in tongues"is the evidence of "getting the Holy Ghost"and being saved are the reasons for attendance at many of these churches falling.......

They will tell you different things,such as they are the true church and the devil is fighting them,and that's why they haven't grown in membership,or that other churches are growing because they accept anything...The common answer to why they follow these standards is"We may be taking it too far,but I would rather go too far than not do enough".......

I have heard sermons such as the one DBBB quoted,and I think it's a shame how many people miss out or are dissillsioned with a church that otherwise has good things going for them,but then beats them up with a "grocery list" of "can do's and can't do's" to be a good Christian.........

SBG

I have heard sermons such as the one DBBB quoted,and I think it's a shame how many people miss out or are dissillsioned with a church that otherwise has good things going for them,but then beats them up with a "grocery list" of "can do's and can't do's" to be a good Christian.........

The only can do and can't do list we need is the Bible; and it is the Bible that teaches modesty.

matthewsman

The Bible teaches modesty

The only can do and can't do list we need is the Bible; and it is the Bible that teaches modesty.

And God convicts people...Regretfully,men try to define modesty to their standards,then judge others acording to those standards.........:cheers:

jneil

I love the beauty of the female body, but then again I'm a heathern.

GeauxLSU

What if she has a stunningly beautiful face? Should she hide it (back to that Muslim thing)? Maybe she should disfigure it? What if her voice is seductive?

OK, point being, ask 10 people what 'modest dress for a woman' is and you'll get 10 different answers.
I will just say this. YES I find what SOME women wear today deplorable. (Of course what some guys wear is absurd too). If you are offended or find yourself sinning in your mind/heart at the site of a beautiful woman in a bikini, I guess you just don't go to the beach. "If your eye offends you, pluck it out." By the way, if a bikini is not appropriate for church, why is appropriate in public (beach)?

Like I said, at the end of the day, it's on the man. I will admit, it's becoming more 'work' on our part, but BE THE MAN! Hold the females of your household up to the standards YOU believe are acceptable and hold yourself to an even HIGHER standard. Should work.

SBG

If you are offended or find yourself sinning in your mind/heart at the site of a beautiful woman in a bikini, I guess you just don't go to the beach. "If your eye offends you, pluck it out." .

YEP!:clap:

PWalls

Like I said, at the end of the day, it's on the man. I will admit, it's becoming more 'work' on our part, but BE THE MAN! Hold the females of your household up to the standards YOU believe are acceptable and hold yourself to an even HIGHER standard. Should work.

Exactly.

Double Barrel BB

My wife, dresses very modestly! Yes, she is very beautiful, atleast to me. But it is a concious choice by her to not wear "inviting attire" in public.

If a woman dresses provacatively then she is wanting to draw attention to herself, she is asking for the attention. It is almost as if she is asking for men to lust after her. Now I am not admonishing men of any wrong doing. We should all be vigilant in our quest to avoid sinful thoughts. Yes, there are going to be men that lust after women no matter what they wear, but that(to me) is a sin that is on the men entirely.

The line that has to be drawn is:
How much of the world are we willing as Christians to let into our churches and our lives? We are called to be seperate.

Just my 2 cents,
DB BB

GeauxLSU

The line that has to be drawn is:
How much of the world are we willing as Christians to let into our churches and our lives? We are called to be seperate.
Yep. Big problem. It's happening so slowly that we don't notice. By (somebody's) design perhaps?....