The birth of a new hunting spot...5-25 Update!!

Jim Boyd

Love the work - enjoy!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Nice! Put a camera on it!

Well, about that...

The last trail camera I owned took about 10 AA batteries and used 35mm
film... ?

I have never dipped my foot into any of these new-fangled, send photos to your phone systems...

I don't think I want my phone dinging and letting me know the hogs are back while I am stuck at work... ?

The thought is crossing my mind to put a couple out in the woods behind my house, for coyote surveillance...

As of now, I prefer to be surprised at what I see from a hunting stand...

slow motion

Well, about that...

The last trail camera I owned took about 10 AA batteries and used 35mm
film... ?

I have never dipped my foot into any of these new-fangled, send photos to your phone systems...

I don't think I want my phone dinging and letting me know the hogs are back while I am stuck at work... ?

The thought is crossing my mind to put a couple out in the woods behind my house, for coyote surveillance...

As of now, I prefer to be surprised at what I see from a hunting stand...
Still got a few of the 35mm cams. Seems mine took D cell. Started back last year after a long hiatus. Lot of fun. Never saw any of the bucks in person though.. Bought a few cell cams this off season but yet to use.
Nice spot either way. Good luck man.

chrisw1073

Great little spot. I have one that looks very similar. My advice would be to not plant peas. In a spot that small, the deer will mow them down as soon as they start coming up and your hard earned money and time is wasted.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Took a ride to check out the spot today, and there are quite a bit of tracks in the trails I mowed.

Most of the corn that I put around the mineral blocks is cleaned up, and the feeder hasn't been torn down by the couple of bears that I know are in the area...

IMG_20220519_180415005_HDR.jpg

I have a little more corn under the feeder than I like to see, so I turned it off, and will give them a few days to clean that up before I crank it up again.

Got the final adjustments made to the old Double Millennium. I've got it hidden in some tall brush, with just your head and shoulders sticking out the top, so it's hid pretty good...

IMG_20220519_180005825.jpg

Later on, it'll get one of those strap on roofs, some new burlap wrap, pipe insulation on the rail, and some palmettos to finish it off...

Pretty happy so far, but it ain't Grand Central....

Yet... ?

Last edited:

kingfish

Love this set up. I'm very partial to planted pines. Some of the most exciting deer action I've had over the years has been right in the thick of planted pines, both private and public. The natural camo on the ladder stand rig makes it perfect. I'm betting you'll see a deer or 2 come killing time !!!

sghoghunter

Good looking lil spot for sure but got a question. How did you decide on that particular spot?have you hunted there before or did you just get a wild hair and do it? Reason I’m asking is I done something similar at our club a few years ago. The way mine started was I went and hunted with my brother the week of thanksgiving and I asked where is a spot that no one has been or where no one hunts and he showed me an old four wheeler trail to a small creek bottom. I picked a spot and started cutting limbs. When I got done we went to town and got a ground blind and a bag of corn. That spot was a hot spot for doe’s and during the rut the bucks felt safe. We got piles of good buck pics the rest of the year also. Well long story short I got in the club the next year and took my tractor in there and started mowing. Once I opened that spot up some the buck sightings stopped and only saw does. This year will be my sixth year in the club and it still isn’t the same and before.

Attachments

• F578A0FC-5455-4BCE-BEC3-F9A6716DD36E.png
    F578A0FC-5455-4BCE-BEC3-F9A6716DD36E.png
    891.4 KB · Views: 50
  • BEB11378-2817-43A0-8A5C-3271A46BED8E.png
    BEB11378-2817-43A0-8A5C-3271A46BED8E.png
    606.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 7B7CB565-F9D3-44FE-BBEF-F91AAD13B583.png
    7B7CB565-F9D3-44FE-BBEF-F91AAD13B583.png
    215.9 KB · Views: 50
  • A144FF89-0165-468D-AC83-9E7EA65A83C4.png
    A144FF89-0165-468D-AC83-9E7EA65A83C4.png
    891.4 KB · Views: 50

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Man that looks like a fun place to sit…….pine thickets are the ticket!

FWIW, you can get a camera that won’t bother your cell phone for $30 at Walmart. I bet checking the card would be a lot of fun in front of your feeder……I get excited just thinking about it.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Good looking lil spot for sure but got a question. How did you decide on that particular spot?have you hunted there before or did you just get a wild hair and do it? Reason I’m asking is I done something similar at our club a few years ago. The way mine started was I went and hunted with my brother the week of thanksgiving and I asked where is a spot that no one has been or where no one hunts and he showed me an old four wheeler trail to a small creek bottom. I picked a spot and started cutting limbs. When I got done we went to town and got a ground blind and a bag of corn. That spot was a hot spot for doe’s and during the rut the bucks felt safe. We got piles of good buck pics the rest of the year also. Well long story short I got in the club the next year and took my tractor in there and started mowing. Once I opened that spot up some the buck sightings stopped and only saw does. This year will be my sixth year in the club and it still isn’t the same and before.

I climbed this tree a few times last year and saw several deer. The crick bottom gets ran pretty hard, and there are several trails that cross my "clearing".

This area is heavily traveled, and I don't think I will have affected it much one way or the other.

The idea here is to get the Grandboys involved in "making a spot" and a place we can sit and see deer and other critters. Maybe we'll even get a shot at one.

We ain't over concerned with "big trophy bucks", but if I can get the gals coming, who knows what'll show up with em??

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Me, The Kid, and Little Brother took a ride today to see if we needed to turn the feeder back on.

All the corn has been vaccumed up, and the mineral blocks are getting pawed at. We reset the feeder for normal schedule.

The trails I mowed in the saplings are working, with a good bit of traffic already...

IMG_20220525_172031981.jpg

They wanted to give the Millennium a try...

IMG_20220525_172826592.jpg

And off they go...Trackin'!

IMG_20220525_173048746_HDR.jpg

Went on home, and shot the 10-22 a bit...

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Got to sit in the stand! Shoot, I sit in mine and look at my pictures when I’m out there…….yeah that’s some good stuff right there!